Most people would say that practising any religion is better than not......

by JH 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't think people who say that really mean it. When you tell them you are a pagan you find out how much they really believe that statement, which is not. Athiests and pagans, I'd say are both discriminated against.

Sherry

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Like a bad relationship most people stick to what they know and have low confidence to go with something better that comes along - low self belief and esteem - even though they know religion has caused more death than all other wars in history.

Plus people don't like the unknown! If not God then what? Maybe we can have our personal value of each without all the fear and guilt that causes turmoil and probably leads to a simmering anger in most.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

JH, I would disagree with your Dad. I dont believe that just any religion will do, I dont believe in religion itself. With that being said I would prefer someone to be agnostic than JW, They may both end up in the same place, but at least the agnostic will have a better life without all the WT Society burdens.

There is a song called "you've got to stand for something, or you will fall for anything" perhaps your Dad was thinking in this line of reasoning.

But good grief, I still cant figure out why he would recommend you going back to the hall, especially if he knew what a lying destructive cult it really is, or did he?

By the way what religious beliefs did he follow? perhaps that might shed some light on his mindset.

• eclipse
    eclipse
    I hope there is a loving Being out there. However, if I were to construct a personage - especially one based on literary tradition - it would seem to devalue whatever reality that Being actually entails. As long as I keep belief an open door of possibilities, my hope remains secure and I remain secure within it. A beautiful, silent, snow-covered path remains perfect in itself as long as I don't trample it with my footprints. May God exist in such a place and understand why I don't tread down the path.

Beautifully said.

Even if there is a ''god'', I would not worship it

and certainly would not join a man made group to worship their version of it.

Practicing religion, to me it's like a pantomime...empty.

It's more about feeling a belonging amongst fellow like-minded believers than worshipping your deity of choice -

we are decendant from pack animals afterall

If god does exist, then I am sure it understands my aversion to worship...

afterall, why should it expect me to worship it when it has done nothing for humanity except possibly make us?

(Being a creator does not make one a good 'parent' worthy of worship, it makes it merely a dispenser of genetic material)

• Roddy
    Roddy

Most believers think that it's better to practise any religion than to act like an animal and not practise any. ...

Depends on the religion and the practice. So you can say that I'm picky. For example, I wouldn't practice a religion that approves of barbecuing humans. I prefer chicken.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I hope there is a loving Being out there. However, if I were to construct a personage - especially one based on literary tradition - it would seem to devalue whatever reality that Being actually entails. As long as I keep belief an open door of possibilities, my hope remains secure and I remain secure within it. A beautiful, silent, snow-covered path remains perfect in itself as long as I don't trample it with my footprints. May God exist in such a place and understand why I don't tread down the path.

Beautifully said.

Even if there is a ''god'', I would not worship it

and certainly would not join a man made group to worship their version of it.

Practicing religion, to me it's like a pantomime...empty.

It's more about feeling a belonging amongst fellow like-minded believers than worshipping your deity of choice -

we are decendant from pack animals afterall

If god does exist, then I am sure it understands my aversion to worship...

afterall, why should it expect me to worship it when it has done nothing for humanity except possibly make us?

(Being a creator does not make one a good 'parent' worthy of worship, it makes it merely a dispenser of genetic material)

I agree. Would this God even want us to exercise worship? What you said about feeling a "belonging" being more important that a compelling desire to worship your god of choice is also important. I admire the people who have developed their own solitary spirituality. There is a contamination of spirituality when it is shared with others. Then it becomes simply a mechanism for society. In fact, I would venture to say that true spirituality is humankind's attempt to seperate ourselves from the rest of society - to feel a connection with another kind of being for once, instead of merely connecting with other "worshipers."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit