Watchtower Farms plans millions in expansion

by Grammy 41 Replies latest social current

• willyloman
    willyloman

Actually I think it reflects that they are going to continue to move their facilities out of Brooklyn, big time and are preparing for the changes with living facilities, etc.

What blondie said. They are sitting on bazillions of dollars of prime real estate in Brooklyn with to-die-for views across the river towards Manhattan. Recent sales have generated hundreds of millions in cash, for property they bought for practically nothing many years ago. With contributions down and growth dropping, they probably have a long range financial plan to live of the interest of this considerable cash, after they move out of the city.

• VM44
    VM44

What was the reason Russell gave for moving to Brooklyn, New York in the first place?

• horrible life
    horrible life

I seem to remember on the tour, that they said it was because it was so close to the shipping lanes, and shipping rags to the world. Now that there are several places that print their own, they may not need to be that close to the water.

How do the mags get to the KH now? Is it UPS or Fed X, ? Those folks will send a truck, for your stuff. You don't have to use a drop of gas. They are probably just pushing it out the back door after it comes off the presses.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Well, the upside, they already save millions in fertilizer at the WTS farms, with more moving to the location, they will have a ready supply of .............

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

makes total sense - move all out of New York - a juicy terrorist target

But wouldn't the planes just bounce off The WT properties and hit the nearby Catholic churches, because Jehovah's holy spirit is protecting his one and only earthly organization?

brzfst

• juni
    juni
    Watchtower has helped the town build a park and rail trail. When winds downed trees all over town, Watchtower sprung into action with its equipment and people to help, Schoeberl said.

Such religious and other groups are under heightened scrutiny from town officials. A recent court ruling allows governments to reject the property tax exemptions in some cases. Assessors will be taking another look at some organizations as a result, Schoeberl said

very interesting.... no wonder they've helped the community and kissed politician ass. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never heard/read about them doing any community work.

• VM44
    VM44

I thought that the Watchtower Farms were going to be sold.

• tula
    tula

Granted, the following info is from 1990, but the point is to show that even then, there seems to be a lot of resentment in the political and residential community toward the WBTS. I also found it interesting that this article gives statistics of 3.8 million witnesses at that time. How could they have possibly doubled membership since then with more and more factual truth coming to public knowledge? Also, does anyone have info on this Florida citrus grove owned by "a witness"? I think there is more here than meets the eye. I know there is another big farm in South Florida. Is this common knowledge?

excerpt from: http://www.maykuth.com/Archives/jehov90.htm

The world's 3.8 million Jehovah's Witnesses are perhaps best known for their aggressive proselytizing, their half-dozen predictions about the end of the world, their ban on blood transfusions and their refusal to declare allegiance to flags or governments.

But in Brooklyn Heights, where the Watchtower Society has maintained its headquarters since 1909, they're known for something else: real estate.

"They've become almost a juggernaut of acquisition in the last 10 years because of their tremendous wealth," said Bob Tramonte, the owner of Cousin Arthur's Book Shop in the historic neighborhood overlooking Lower Manhattan.

The Jehovah's Witnesses' land purchases are a continuing source of resentment in the pricey Brooklyn Heights area, where younger upscale and older middle-class residents live side by side. The sect owns about 35 properties, including four of the area's five hotels, and a growing number of brownstones in the quarter-mile by half-mile neighborhood. Sect officials say they need the properties to house the volunteers who work at the headquarters, which they call Brooklyn Bethel.

The uneasy yet genteel co-existence between the Witnesses and the neighborhood came to the fore two years ago when the Watchtower Society sought zoning changes to build a 35-story residence just outside the Brooklyn Heights Historic District. Preservationists and other residents objected that the building was inappropriate and would block the view of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The zoning proposal was defeated, but the fight left a bad aftertaste that continues to sour the relationship on a number of neighborhood issues. Taxes - the Witnesses don't pay any - is one; their minimal participation in the community, or its economy, is another.

"The issues have little to do with them as individuals," said Deirdre A. Carson, an officer in the Brooklyn Heights Association. "It has to do with what happens to any small community when it is overwhelmed by an institution."

The Watchtower Society pays its Brooklyn workers $80 a month to buy personal items, and provides for most of their needs. Their meals are served in the residence halls. Most of the food is grown on Watchtower Farms in Wallkill, N.Y., where 1,000 more Witnesses work, or at a Florida citrus grove owned by a Jehovah's Witness. The food is transported in the Watchtower truck fleet.

Watchtower Grove - (UNCONFIRMED)1001 Lehigh East Road, Lehigh Acres, FL 33972
    (941) 369-3245

from WTS corp. list http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/8374/1.ashx

<edited to add>

this comes up under google maps:

We were not able to locate the address:
    1001 Lehigh East Road, Lehigh Acres, FL 33972

Would you like to:

• metatron
    metatron

Guys, don't miss the bigger picture! While they loot equity in Kingdom Halls and pay out millions in child abuse settlements,

they are building recreation facilities and a nice parking garage in upstate NY. WHY?

Because they must hold on to critical people amidst a brain drained organization. They must 'play nice' or suffer disasters

in losing people who could hold the fate of the organization in their hands.

metatron

• VM44
    VM44

Where is The Watchtower getting all its money?

If they collect billions each year, what is the source?

From investments and contributions?

They never give a detailed accounting, as if they are not responsible to the people who make the contributions.

I think the Watchtower should be taxed.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit