A Mormon President?

by a Christian 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• a Christian
    a Christian

NVR,

You asked: Is it possible that that phrase could be found to mean "unfamiliar with the practice of evil" ...?

Some Bible translators understand that phase just as you suggest. "Be like children in not knowing how to sin." (New Life Version)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

NVR,

You asked: Is it possible that that phrase could be found to mean "unfamiliar with the practice of evil" ...?

Some Bible translators understand that phase just as you suggest. "Be like children in not knowing how to sin." (New Life Version)

I "ate, drank, and slept" the Bible for most of my life.

Knowledge of reality is nothing to fear.

Regards to you, a Christian.

• a Christian
    a Christian

NVR,

You wrote: Knowledge of reality is nothing to fear.

I never expressed a fear of a knowledge of Satanism, only a lack of interest in obtaining such knowledge.

You wrote: I "ate, drank, and slept" the Bible for most of my life.

I'm not familiar with your history. But most ex-JWs "ate, drank, and slept" the Watchtower while believing they were doing so with the Bible. And, because they mistakenly equated the two, many ended up 'throwing the baby (Jesus) out with their dirty JW bath water.'

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm not familiar with your history. But most ex-JWs "ate, drank, and slept" the Watchtower while believing they were doing so with the Bible. And, because they mistakenly equated the two, many ended up 'throwing the baby (Jesus) out with their dirty JW bath water.'

It's true.

I was a student of the Bible too.

Reading it since I was five.

I respect that you've reached different conclusions about the Bible.

For me, the more I study it, the less I believe it to be inspired of God.

If it brings you comfort, I'm sincerely happy for you, a Christian.

• a Christian
    a Christian

NVR,

You wrote: For me, the more I study it, the less I believe it to be inspired of God.

After leaving the Watchtower for several years I went through that stage also. I call it "stage two." Though it may seem hard for you to believe today, someday you also may reach "stage three."

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I was gutted that he wasn't more inclusive in his JFK speech.

Mitt seems a good guy in terms of business - the sort of person who would truly change the US in an administrative way (i.e. you'd be in very good shape all other things being equal) but he says some pretty naive and regretable things:

1/ Horrified at his Guantanamo comment.
    2/ Sad that his speech seemed to imply you had to be religious to be free - it created a divide between believers and non-believers.
    3/ With zero military experience - critically of his own sons being at risk - he wants to strengthen US military forces. That would have been an astute move when faced by a number matching enemy like the Soviet Union but its useless against current enemies (I wish he'd talked more about changing US relations with the world - mending some wrecked bridges and making the US less arrogant in its foreign dealings.)

On the other hand I like his:

1/ Pragmatism - stop work and look for someone elses kid approach.
    2/ Ability to work across party lines.
    3/ Fix it approach - turn it

What I really wish for Mitt was that he'd had to fail at some point in his life, I don't think he truly understands the gut wrenching fear of combat families, the awful indignity of poverty or the depth of hatred of true fundamentalism. He'll fix your economy but I don't know if he can fix your soul.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

After leaving the Watchtower for several years I went through that stage also. I call it "stage two." Though it may seem hard for you to believe today, someday you also may reach "stage three."

I am open to that.

One never knows.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit