Assembly Hall shakedown - Columbia SC

by sir82 68 Replies latest jw friends

• DJK
    DJK
    They want to have the whole thing paid for by the time the building is done - no long term loans.

Of course. Then they reap the profits from literature, food, contributions and whatever else they can think of. Parking fees? Have they ever done that? I never saw that before 1974.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    This "increased activity in Jehovah's organization" is a sign that Armageddon is (not kidding now) really really close.

So save your money for your individual family as times will get tougher. You will soon have difficulty putting
    food on the table. Stock up on your emergency supplies and allow the Society to engage in a more
    effective warning work than the door-to-door time-waster. As much as an assembly hall in the area would
    be appreciated, you will never have the opportunity to use it before Jehovah's Day arrives.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is sure a fine waste of a lot of time and money. The building isn't even going to be ready until 2010. However, Armageddon is supposedly coming very soon--within days and weeks. I have heard many a story about them saying that it is coming on June 12, 2007. This sure sounds like a wise and discreet way to spend your money: on things that are not going to be ready until three years after they go out of date. By then, if Armageddon is on time this time, there will be no need for any money.

And who says that they are growing in the South? Isn't that the Bible Belt? I thought that the religions have a stronghold from about the Carolinas to about Texas--and this is right in the middle of the Bible Belt! Where the &$%^ do they think they are going to get any growth enough to warrant a new a$$embly hell there? And with the Internet being so widespread, aren't the apostates derailing many of the calls? I sure hope this kind of growth isn't really happening on a systemic scale--and I definitely hope there is no sustainable growth in that organization. Another abandoned a$$embly hell in another ten years or so.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Do the elders have to make up any defecit on account if their congregation is unable to fulfill its resolution to finance any endeavor such as this one?

No, they don't HAVE TO do it, but the C.O. will visit and tell them about their shortcomings on their "promise."
    This will guilt the elders into trying harder to get the money, or fleece that flock.

Most BOE don't want a negative image with the C.O. and they make up the deficit before that happens.
    The C.O. will suggest it if they don't do it. "C'mon, guys! Most months you are only $200 short. That would
    be $50 per elder. Are you telling me that you can't skip going to the theater or get rid of your cable t.v. or
    make cook at home instead of eating out? Can't you eat chicken instead of steak? Maybe you should have
    a meatless week at home. It's warm here, do you really need two cars?"

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

My daughter told me that the Society tried the same thing in Memphis TN about two years ago but failed. They were unable to raise the necessary funds to build a new Assembly Hall (can't squeeze blood from a turnip, or 9,000,000 bucks from a janitor) so they used the money that they were able to scrape up (about a million)to remodel their existing Assembly Hall.

CyrusThePersian

• R.F.
    R.F.

My daughter told me that the Society tried the same thing in Memphis TN about two years ago but failed. They were unable to raise the necessary funds to build a new Assembly Hall (can't squeeze blood from a turnip, or 9,000,000 bucks from a janitor) so they used the money that they were able to scrape up (about a million)to remodel their existing Assembly Hall.

I attend the Memphis Assembly Hall for my assemblies.

They made it seem as if the circuits were so in love with this Hall so the elders decided it would be best just to remodel.

The thing is I heard that it was advised by the GB to just remodel, not worry about building elsewhere.

The should have rebuilt a long time ago. The current assembly hall used to be an old movie theater that my parents went to when they were dating over 30 years ago.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    so they used the money that they were able to scrape up (about a million)to remodel their existing Assembly Hall.

That doesn't allow the WTS to sell an old piece of property. There's no profit in that.
    I know they remodel sometimes, but if they think the locals can foot the bill, they say how
    remodeling could be impractical. I imagine they pay for the new places without considering
    how much the old place will profit the Society.

In Columbia, SC, there is no current Assembly Hall to remodel. WTS has had this cash-cow for
    decades now. Make the locals buy an Assembly Hall, give it to the Society, then tell them
    to pay the expenses everytime they visit there. SC has been slow to get one, because they
    can't afford it. But there are more retirees down there with more income available. Many JW's
    in their "growth" are just transplanted folks who managed to have some retirement income, despite
    the WTS.

• R.F.
    R.F.

The WTS is starting to sound more and more like a hustler to me.

• sir82
    sir82
    Where the &$%^ do they think they are going to get any growth enough to warrant a new a$$embly hell there?

Yes, it is the Bible belt, but you wouldn't believe the number of JWs transplanting to the US Southeast. And it won't be stopping any time soon.

For example, my congregation has literally doubled in size in about 2-1/2 years, from 70 to 140, entirely due to people moving down from the north. Congregations are splitting left & right within the circuit. Some Spanish congregations (also exploding due to transplants) have to rent facilities for their Circuit Assemblies - the current Assembly Hall is booked every weekend.

Of course, the exodus from the north is leading to dwindling congregations up there, as has been reported on other threads here.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Haven't seen it mentioned but, they not only want the R&F to pay for it but it build it for free also. Each circuit using it (also each cong) will have to have a time they need volunteers to go up and work for nothing of course. All to Jehoobers glory or some such nonsense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit