Assembly Hall shakedown - Columbia SC

by sir82 68 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

I think I'm starting to feel sick now ...

• greendawn
    greendawn

The day has changed and I am not eating anything right now because of a toothache I will have to visit the dentist soon. Eating causes pain so it's best to leave it , I suppose toothaches are good for those on weight loss diets.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

My whole family helped on the construction of the assembly hall in Salisbury. My dad was actually head of one of the committee's overseeing the construction. My dad worked so hard and became so stressed out, that he passed out during one of their very lengthy prayers. My mom & I were at one of the Sunday meetings when this happened, and they came and got us telling us they thought he had a heart attack. It was actually him being over stressed!! So he did all that work, being away from his family for FREE and getting sick from it!! I was at that assembly hall for the last time about 4 years ago. It amazed me when they would go over expenses for using the assembly hall for that circuit, when the building is paid for!! The only thing that has changed is that the circuits are now "renting" this facility from the society, instead of from a local arena or convention center.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

My wife said this was announced last night at the meeting. Also if I understood her correctly, congregations around the Charlotte, NC area will no longer go to Salisbury but instead go to Columbia once this thing is built. I'm not sure where the borders will be drawn as to who goes to Salisbury and Columbia. Another thing she said that the same design they used in Conyers, GA will be used for Columbia. I've been to the one in Conyers and really wasn't impressed with the design at all. Conyers design seemed to cut a lot of corners in order to provide a functional hall, can it be that Columbia is going to run 8-9 mil on that design? I'm not in the construction trade or real estate biz, but that seems like a hefty sum based on what they may be getting.

• sf
    sf

huge influx of JWs moving to the US Southeast from up North.

LOL!!!!

sKally

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I just spoke with a person I know in that area. He said that his congregation in GA is being assigned to this assembly hall and they just got finished paying for the one in Conyers. Its a pretty large congregation and my friend said that they've collected less than $200 so far! According to him, no land has been purchased yet. He asked, what if we don't collect the needed funds? The response was that it will be built anyway.

In his congregation, people feel like since they just contributed for the new AH in the Atlanta area, they should have to build another one so soon. He also admitted that its cheaper to rent than own and that the assembly halls charge way more than market rate for use.

The more I learn about these projects, the more I realize what a huge scam they are.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

good topic. and yes the WTBTS is nothing more than a REAL ESTATE SCAM. I GET THE feeling the local newpapers in carolina , are going to be printing about the wt scam....

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

What estimates or guidelines are they using to arrive at estimated 8 or 9m $ for the ah?

The property I am sure would be costly, but they never use contractors, which are expensive, workmans comp. rates are at all time highs right now, this drives up the price of construction rates, however the dubs elimination contractors helps them avoid the most expensive part of construction, so the cost should be quite low imo.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

Of course the r&f dubs should pay for this project. How else will the society be able to afford to pay for all the pending pedophile lawsuits coming their way in the future. If they're stupid enough to go along with all the Bs the society pulls on people, then they deserve what they get! At 60 million a pop, you got to make your money back somehow.

• FadingAway
    FadingAway

This was announced last night during the service meeting, I was there to hear it firsthand. The congregation I'm in will be assigned to the new hall when built.

168 out of 240 congregations have completed the financial survey. Results so far (cost rounded up to the nearest thousands):

$768k, one time payment
    $148k, through monthly donation
    $345k, through loans from the members
    $232k collected so far

Cost of Assembly Hall is expected to be $7.8 to $8.8 million.

Property has been narrowed down to 4 possible sites, cost of property expected to be around $1 mil. Assembly Hall design will use the same plan as the one in Conyers, Ga.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit