What book or movie most resembles the WTS in your opinion? Why?

by whyizit 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Tristram
    Tristram

"Boiler Room" with Giovanni Ribisi, Nicky Katt and Vin Diesel.

• JohnnyMarr
    JohnnyMarr

Witness w/ Harrison Ford. If the Society had it's way, we would be living the life of the Amish. During that movie I noticed a quick build ..... a disfellowshipping and a strictly regimented way of life that isn't too far off from the way the Society wants Witnesses to live.

• Perry
    Perry

Soylent Green (1973)

Convention Lines for New Releases

In the year 2022, the starving masses depend upon government (FDS) manufactured food items called Soylent Green, Red, and Yellow to exist (The Wt and Awake magazines) . But in the midst of a murder investigation, a cop named Thorn (Charlton Heston) gets too close to uncovering the chilling secret about source of the green product. (Hint: It tastes like what mama used to make...Wait! It is mama!) Hence he is disfellowshipped, I mean scheduled for termination.

The blinking "Speaking Permitted" lights also reminds me of the WT study.

Now here's some Kool-aid to wash it all down with... Yummy

Crackers anyone?

• whyizit
    whyizit

Ticket To Heaven was recommended to me as a good parallel to the WTS, although it appears a little more extreme. I found it on e-bay. If you ever want a hard to find movie, that seems to be a great place to look. You can usually get them pretty cheap too.

My JW friend said that she saw The Village. She never really said much about it, though. She thought it was a good movie.

Did you guys draw these conclusions AFTER or BEFORE leaving the WTS? Hind sight is always 20-20, they say, but I just wondered if anything clicked beforehand?

• blondie
    blondie

TO SERVE MAN

• Perry
    Perry

Blondie, you have such a wicked little wit sometimes!

That was good.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

The Village, of course...

...and one that not many may have seen...

Zardoz - basically - people lived in a 'perfect environment', and had for many many years ('New System'?). They couldn't die, cause if they did, they would be 'resurrected' and come back to life. They had been doing so for millenea... and were tired of living their boring lives. I'll leave the rest up to anyone who wants to rent the movie.

Regards,

Jim TX

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

If you want to see the documentary on "The Holy Ghost People", you can download it here: http://www.greylodge.org/gpc/?p=91

Anthropologist love to use this documentary to stir up debate amongst the college students about the difference between that religion and theirs.

It's a documentary about a religion that involves snake handling, speaking in tongues, and shouting. The setting is Appalachia. It was made in 1967.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think the Invasion of the Body Snatchers could easily have been about the jws. The characters in that film resembled some jws I have known very closely.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Two children stories come to my mind: Chicken little..."The sky is falling, the sky is falling"....

And The Boy Who Cried Wolf!...."Wolf, Wolf, Wolf!!!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit