UNITED NATIONS , NGO's and WTBS

by MacHislopp 501 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

to all those who have asked me,

please continue the " Thread " on the other one

"Major News...". It is in order to avoid confusion

and to post all the latest news on this issue.

I did post my latest one also!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Apologies for bringing this thread back to the top after so long but I didn't want to start a new just to make this one post.

I found this Awake article and thought it would be good to place it in here 'for the record'.

Nic'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effort to Oust Vatican From UN Awake! October 22, 2000

The Rome-based news agency Inter Press Service (IPS) reported that "an International coalition of more than 70 non-governmental organizations (NGOs) has launched a global campaign to oust the Vatican from the United Nations". Presently, the Vatican is a permanent observer, or non member state, in the UN organization. The Vatican has had that status since 1964.

Why does this group of NGOs, which by the end of April last year had increased to 100 organisations worldwide, object to the Vaticans position in the UN? Because the Vatican, the NGOs argue, is a religious authority and not a political state. Frances Kissling, president of Catholics for a Free Choice, told IPS that the coalition does not oppose the Vaticans right to express its view, but "what is in question is the right of this non-state to occupy a position with governments".

Anika Rahman, director of International Programmes at the Centre for Reproductive Law and Policy, agrees. IPS quoted her as saying that "if the UN treats the Holy See as a state with permanent observer privileges because of its religious authority, the world body is creating a precedent for similar claims by other religions". She added: "To ensure that the United Nations does not promote any particular religion, religious entities such as the Roman Catholic Church should not be permitted to participate in this forum as a non-member state".

But what about the argument that the Vatican is a state and is therefore entitled to its present status? "That is semantic double-talk," responded Ms Kissling in an interview. "We say that this is in essence a 15th-century definition of statehood and that the Holy See is, in effect, the governing structure of the religion". She added that the terms "Vatican" and "the Holy See" are both "synonyms for the Roman Catholic Church".

Much of the resentment of the NGOs against the Vaticans current position in the UN is caused by the Vaticans view on population issues. For instance, the Vatican has used UN conferences such as the 1994 International Conference on Population and Development, in Cairo, and the 1995 Womens Conference, in Beijing, to express its strong views against family planning. "Since the UN takes most of its decisions by consensus," notes IPS, "dissenting voices such as those of the Vatican have derailed negotiations on issues relating to population, contraception, womens rights and reproductive health care".

According to Ms. Kissling, "the appropriate role for the Vatican is that of a NGO - the same as all the other NGOs representing Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Bahais and other religious organisations". The coalition wants UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and ultimately the UN General Assembly to conduct an official review of the place the Vatican occupies within the worlds largest political body.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Good article, more fun, more hypocrisy.

• zev
    zev

YEAH,

AND ALL WHILE STILL MEMBERS OF THE UN/NGO/DPI

VERY INTERESTING.

• cellomould
    cellomould

that's a keeper

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

bttt

• justhuman
    justhuman

WT was always had double standards.

Say one thing

Believe other

Lying to their Followers

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

hmm ....

Viewed: 31,290 times
  • sf
    sf

{{ refresher course for new ones and new lurkers }}

• zev
    zev

Viewed: 36,322 times

yes i still come back here to where the begining of the end started and read this thread.

it was history, in the making.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit