What was your favorite thing about being a witness?

by dezpbem 36 Replies latest jw friends

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

While I didn't like being a jw there were 1 or 2 good points. What was your favorite thing about being a jw?

Mine was all the parties and social gatherings we had. The barbeques were outstanding and we had them alot. It was like one big family...ok, on second thought, one big disfunctional family, lol. But that was fun. I miss the big social group. Anything else you found enjoyable?

Dez

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I'll go ahead and say the obvious: LEAVING!

I also like the fact that I'm a decent (compared to the people at work, excellent) public speaker.

Country Guy

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I liked the congregation BBQs for the variety of food. There were so many different ethnic backgrounds in the congregation and therefore so many different types of food to try. On the down side, for me these large get togethers reinforced the knowledge that I could never fit in with these people, no matter how hard I tried. Even in these large gatherings, getting someone to talk to me for more than 2 minutes was like pulling teeth. Most of them grew up as JWs, and had the friends they grew up with, and seemed to have little inclination to expand their circle of friends. As an adult JW convert, I always felt like I was on the outside looking in - even when I took the initiative to invite people to my home.

W

• clear2c
    clear2c

Chillen with everyone after meeting was pretty cool. Met alot of cool people I aggree with you dez the BBQ's where great too. Country Guy your a good writer too :)

• blondie
    blondie

Around here the congregations got very restrictive about group parties, can't be too large, can't have alcohol, can't be the night before a meeting or field service, can't invite unbaptized people or "weak" JWs, etc., etc.

It kind of killed the joy.

It sort reminds me of the comedian saying how much he enjoyed hammering his thumb because it felt so good when he stopped.

Blondie

• Purza
    Purza

Probably the feeling that I had a lot of friends. Not a good thing when you are living a double life, but while I was in I enjoyed having all (or most) of those people around.

Purza

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, the social stuff was often fun. like traveling abroad and just making "friends" whever you landed. kind of like Amway.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

i miss the freedom from having to think... they made all my decisions for me... WAIT A MINUTE, thats not a good thing at all!

i kinda miss the some of the guys tho, we used to party, its funny a j-dub kid knew how to party, all cuz they werent allowed...

the infamous one

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I met a very good friend in my last congregation. He taught me how to be rebellious. He still believes. I don't. He is still my friend however.

I learnt to be a stronger person. It was the only way to keep your head above the water.

I have learnt not to trust things because people say it is so - research.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There was nothing I liked about being a witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit