NGO/WTS scandal info sought

by yaddayadda 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Not to hijack the thread but I think the Silentlambs is far more scandalous and important.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Del, I agree. But unfortunately it is also much more difficult to prove to the average Witness. With the issue of them joining the UN/DPI, all you have to do to acquire proof directly from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses (CCoJW) is write an inquiry about it to the headquarters. It is critically important that those who talk about this issue differentiate between the UN and the UN/DPI.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. joined the UN/DPI, not the UN. The CCoJW can truthfully answer any allegations of joining the UN with, "We didn't do that." Also, it makes us out to be liars if we say they joined an organization they didn't join.

My dad asked, "Is the UN/DPI and organization?"

DUH!

Then he asked, "Did they really join the UN/DPI?"

According to the DICTIONARY, I'd have to say, DUH!

Then he said, "But they stopped, didn't they?"

DUH! They got caught with their neutrality pants down, a large chunk of "spiritual armor" missing, and then pulled their pants back up. Of course, the problem is they are failing to admit that their neutrality pants were ever down, even though there are snapshots of the event that are freely available.

yaddayadda, the "annual report" was a report of how well an NGO has met the criteria within the past year, produced by the NGO and submitted to the committee that determines whether the effort merits continued Associate status to the UN/DPI.

The "annual accreditation form" is a form attached to this "annual report" that is eventually submitted to the committee. It is basically an annual request to retain Associate status. Based on materials annually submitted the committee determines whether to maintain a given organization as an Associate (i.e. subordinate organizational member).

Here is a link to the 2005 accreditation form: 2005 Annual Accreditation Form (PDF format)

It is available from this Web page: NGO Related Documents

On that page you can click on "Other Documents" and get the same shock that I got a year ago.

AuldSoul

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

My abject apologies for mistakenly posting this thread in the wrong folder. I meant to start it in the SCANDALS folder not the child abuse one. Heck I've only just spotted this. Please overlook this mistake.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I'm having trouble finding anything solid about the 'Annual Accreditation form' and an 'annual report'. Can someone help clarify for me the following questions:

• How long has the 'Annual Accreditation Form' actually been around? The wording on the 2005 form could be taken to suggest that it was only first created in 2002, ie, after the WTS disassociated itself.
    • What hard evidence do we have that the Society actually submitted an 'annual report' to the DPI from 1992 onwards? The 1991 application form certainly refers to an 'annual report', so from that is it inferred that the Society sent regular reports and samples each year from when it first became an NGO? How do we know the Society actually did send annual reports during those 10 years? No one can deny they have published a lot of UN-related information in various Awake articles for many years, and one is even posted on the UN's website, but other than this circumstantial evidence is there anything we have that solidly shows they must have actually submitted samples annually to the UN? A copy of an 'Accreditation' form prior to 2002 with similar wording as the current one would certainly prove that. Is one available?

I am compiling the 'evidence' about all this to show some family and friends and I want to be ready to overcome all their objections. I am also going to write to the Society about it, with 'exhibits' attached and intend to send copies to some local elders. I fully expect to be hauled before a JC over it, knowing full well I will probably get disfellowshipped. I want to be fully prepared. One of their objections is going to be: "But when you read this 2005 Accreditation Form it is saying that they only started reviewing NGO's and requesting samples from 2002 onwards."

I'm sorry to be a pest about this. I just want to get as close to having source documentation as much possible without having to spend more hours trawling through 100's of posts.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

According to Paul Hoeffel, in some form or other the annual accreditation form has been in place since the initiation of the UN/DPI NGO program around 1968/9.

There has been a committe since that time responsible for reviewing each Associated/Affiliated NGO annually to determine whether their involvement meritted continuation of the arrangement.

The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses read the questions from the original application they have on file to my father (Local PO). But that was the application, not the yearly accreditation form.

The WTS claims that there are no questions on the form which are inappropriate for Christians, however there is one question (I believe question 29) that reads: "For what purpose does your organization wish to Associate to the UN/DPI?" If there is any answer there it constitutes a desire to be a friend of the world. They answered it innocuously enough, but there is no way they can legitimately call the relationship a "registration" with such a question right there on the form.

It is actually the yearly reports that would be most useful. These would show how well the WTS understood the need to show support for continued involvement. But we do not have access to these.

AuldSoul

• Kaput
    Kaput

yaddayadda

http://www.randytv.com/secret/y2accform1.jpg

check with the freeminds site for more info or clarification

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Great thanks.

Dear Auldsoul, where did you get that info from Paul Hoeffel, and how could someone prove that there has been a committee in place since 1968. Can you direct me to any sources?

"The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses read the questions from the original application they have on file to my father (Local PO). "

What do you mean by that exactly?

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

According to the UN's website, General category NGO's only file reports quadrennially (every 4 years)? Can anyone confirm whether the Society was in fact required to file annual reports or not? I can't find anything conclusive to support Auldsoul's claim the comittee reviews each "Associated/Affiliated NGO annually to determine whether their involvement merited continuation of the arrangement."

http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/committee.htm

thanks

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

You are looking at ECOSOC NGO Associates, you are wanting info on DPI NGO Associates. DPI NGO Associates are reviewed annually and there is an annual report that must be delivered along with an attached Annual Accreditation Form. The report must show why your organization should be considered for continuation of the Associate status to the UN/DPI. This information is available from: DPI/NGO Association FAQs

You will have to get the information on how long the committee Associate Application and Associate Review processes have been in place from the UN/DPI. Paul Hoeffel is UN/DPI NGO Section Chief.

AuldSoul

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Dear Auldsoul. I read through that whole link you provided to the DPI website, and it says nothing about DPI NGO's providing an annual report. Presumably the WTS was an 'associated NGO' with the DPI, right? The website says the following (inter alia):

"What are the responsibilities of NGOs associated with DPI?"

Associated NGOs are expected to devote a portion of their information programmes to promoting knowledge of the principles and activities of the UN. In addition, an evaluation and review process was in place in 2002 wherein NGOs associated with DPI are expected to keep the DPI/NGO Section abreast of their activities by providing a short summary of their UN-related activities and samples of their information materials every four years relating to the work of the UN. The information materials are also made available for perusal at the DPI/NGO Resource Centre.

Are you positive an annual report was ever required? The 1991 application form makes reference to an 'annual report' but other than that I can only see hard evidence that the WTS had to file an annual 'accreditation form'. Where are you getting your information from on the annual report?

Am I getting mixed up on this with the type of NGO the WTS was?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit