Yes, a Bethelite Woman Provided "Spiritual Food" to Jehovah’s Witnesses

by Dogpatch 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nellie
    Nellie

MINDBLOWING - absolutely, mindblowing

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Dearest Barbara,

Ever since I heard of your involvement in exposing the pedophile problem in the WTS, I always thought you were a very special lady. I never knew just HOW special you are! Thank you for sharing this with us----so that we may now share it with others.

with love, respect and admiration,

Annie

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Yay Barbara!

I found this very informative. I remember telling you about the article I was part of which appeared in the May 22, 1992 Awake! Reading your account and looking up that article on my CD jogged my memory a bit.

One of the sisters involved in organizing our ACOA group was also involved to a great extent in writing the above article. I must say she was a little upset at the things left out of the article which dealt with sexual abuse.

I can't help but wonder if the ACOA article was the beginning of a whole can of worms being opened up for the WTS to answer for. I do know that as a small group of sisters who were determined to continue meeting together to discuss and find ways to heal from our childhood traumas we certainly drew a lot of attention from Bethel to shut us down. They didn't succeed, we met all the criteria they wanted us to have and continued our classes with much success on our parts.

I also remember thinking at the time the few actually many sisters who had been molested and their experiences were rare at the time, boy was I ever surprised and saddened when I found Randy's site and all the links I followed which told me that small group in that small town was just a tip of the iceberg!

Awesome work Barbara!

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks Barbara &Randy! Barbara, were you told to never divulge your role as a Watchtower publications writer?? If you spoke of how you contributed to or even wrote an article, would you have gotten in "trouble"?

• observador
    observador

that was interesting, Randy.

Thanks a lot.
    Observador.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Minimus,

In the matter of confidentiality, I neither signed nor agreed to not divulge information about my Bethel experience when I left, nor was I asked to do so.

When I first discussed my assignment in the Writing Dept. with my new overseer, the only thing I remember said about this was not to discuss what I was working on with other Bethelites or even other staff in the Writing Dept. It was the same way when I was in the Engineering Dept. where I had previously worked.

Generally, Bethelites understand that they are not to pry into what other Bethelites specifically do in their office jobs. Even if the assignment is plumbing or the press room, etc., people can discuss their job assignment, but with reservation. A plumber would not disclose future plans of the Society. Press room people do not discuss what they are printing. Since JWs are accustomed to being lectured about confidential matters in the congregation, when they become Bethelites they usually don't have problems conforming to work-related confidentiality.

When I was in the Writing Dept., would I get in trouble if I discussed my work assignment? Why yes, I would get a warning. If I did it again, and if what I discussed caused much comment or complaint, I probably would have been transferred. However, Bethelites who have prestigious office jobs just know better than discuss their assignment, if they want to keep the job, that is! Of course, no one wants to be marked as loose lipped. It would mean no more advancement. The biggest disgrace for an office worker, who wants to stay in Bethel, is to be sent to a factory job or to housecleaning.

Barbara

• minimus
    minimus

Barbara, I'm glad you no longer want to stay in Bethel.

• TopHat
    TopHat

The WTS do like to keep their secrets don't they? Sounds like a Secret Society to me.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I did most of the research, plus, assisted the senior writer, Eric Beveridge, and was quoted many times in the article, "Women Deserving of Respect,” June 22, 1990 Awake!

I can't find this article in the CD ROM. There is the July 1, 1991 Watchtower article on women in the congregation and the July 8, 1992 Awake! series of articles on respect for women. Is the latter what is meant?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Yes, Leolaia. The series of articles entitled, "Women Deserving of Respect" was in the July 8, 1992 Awake! magazine.

I looked back at my notes tonight to see how I came to make that mistake. I had listed the June 22, 1990 Awake! along with the name of the article I had also contributed some material to, above the July 8, 1992 Awake!, "Women Deserving of Respect" and my eyes fell upon the wrong date when I was typing. Thanks for finding that mistake.

(I think I need to send you my material for editing before I post it.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit