Is God's name Jehovah, Yaweh, or simply Lord?

by pr_capone 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Jesus. Which is really Jehushua. Which means "Yhwh is salvation".

or Domino's [the lord/Yhwh] Delivers

• poppers
    poppers

LittleToe -

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

in the 16th century a catholic monk made the word Jehovah.......In ex. 3:14 God tells Moses...."I AM WHO I AM." In Malachi 3:1, we see that God's name was ADON. That's the Almighty's personal name, but at the same time it's reference in Malachi, is refering to Christ, also.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I just call him Bob.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

That is a simplistic answer based around JWs trying to make the bible fit their doctrine. As has been clearly stressed, there is ample evidence that Jesus did not use YHWH. So making the the fathers name known does not mean telling everyone how to say Jehovah.
    To make Gods name known meant to make people aware of who God is. Very similar in meaning to the Witness phrase 'what sort of name are you making with God'? Here it does not mean 'does god know your name?' but rather 'what sort of person does God know you to be.?'

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Interesting cause I was gonna bring up this topic, and wondered if anyone here cared. I recently have learned this:

"Although widely known for about four hundred yeas; nevertheless, it originated as a corruption by the scribes who introduced foreign vowel points and attached them to the Tetragrammaton. The vowel points selected were those of the word Adonai. By adding these foreign vowel points to the tetragrammaton, the Sacred Name cannot be pronouncd. The English hybid monstosity "Jehovah" resulted whsen Peter Galatin in 1520 published this form. He did not understand what the scribes had done . The Talmud (Sanhedrim 10:1) explains that the Name of the Almightly is written Yah, but pronounced Adonai!

Doctor J. B Rotherham in the introduction to his Emphasized Bible had this to say about the form Jehovah:"The pronunciation Jehovah was unknown until 1520, when it was introduced by Galatinus; but was contested by Le Mercier, J. Drusius, and L. Capellus, as against grammatical and historical propriety."

"Erroneously written and pronounced Jehovah, which is merely a combination of the sacred Tetragarammaton and the vowels in the Hebrew word for Lord, substituted by the jews for JHVH, because they shank from pronouncing The Name, owing to an old misconception of the two passages, EX. 20:7 and Lev 24:16. To give the name JHVH the vowels of the word for Lord (Heb. Adonai) and pronounce it Jehovah, is about as hybrid a combination as it would be to spell the name Germany with the vowesl in the name Protugal--viz., Gormuna. The monstrous combination Jehovah is not older than about 1520 A.D."

For almost two centuries the Name Yahweh has grown in acceptance, now being commonly used in theology. The Encyclopedia Judaica makes the following statement, "The true pronunciation of the Name YHWH was never lost. Several early Greek writers of the Christian church, testify that the name was pronounced Yahweh."

There is much emphisis given in scripture as to the name of God and his son. Names are not translated. If you go to China your name would still be "Joe" in amounst the other foreign words. As are brand names like Coca-cola, or personal names like George Bush. Why would we do that to the true God's name Yahweh. The same would apply to his son's name Yahshua. Noticed the Yah part in his name!

It is ironic that the JW's pride themselves in being called by his name! (Also that Satan was not transliterated but Yahweh, and Yahshua are! )

I know that God looks on the heart, and if you call on the Savior using the Latin, Roman nickname given him, he answers, but it is not his name.It really has never been lost, and I think there is value in understanding that.

• freedom96
    freedom96

We don't call a judge by his first name, or most people in a position of authority. Your honor, sir, etc is more appropriate. Can it possibly be anything less than when talking about God? I find using his name not appropriate, and disrespectful.

For me, Lord, God, etc works just fine.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Admittedly, I prefer "Jehovah."

As are brand names like Coca-cola, or personal names like George Bush. Why would we do that to the true God's name Yahweh.

Admittedly, that's a good point too (if indeed Yahweh is right).

Ever run into a Sacred Namer? I've never met more insistent people in my entire life, and that includes meth users and kerosene huffers.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Sheepish,

On the Masoretic vowel pointing, the issue might be slightly more complex:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/99702/1716796/post.ashx#1716796

As already said, in Hebrew theophoric names the form Yh = Yah occurs only as a suffix (at the end of the name, e.g. Çedeq-Yah); as a prefix it is either Yhw = Yeho or Yw = Yo, never Yh. "Jesus" (Greek Ièsous) corresponds either to Yhw š (w)` = Yehoshua` or Y šw` = Yeshua` (e.g. Ezra 2:2). In the latter form the theonym disappears and strictly speaking the name is not theophoric anymore.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Nark, just a question. Do you think Ie in Iesous is one syllable or two (can't recall the name for it being one... dipthong or something)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit