Is God's name Jehovah, Yaweh, or simply Lord?

by pr_capone 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• inquirer
    inquirer

mrsjones5

Also, on a more humorous note: Why was the form "Iehovah" used in that Indiana Jones movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", YOu can bet your life the director knows this is the true pronunciation! Why would he use it in his film?

>
    Uh no that's not the reason. Watch the film again, they spelt the name jehovah in latin which is iehovah. You realized that it's just a movie, right?

Josie

>
    Inquirer -- You struck a chord with me, so that's why I am replying.

It might be true, it's only a movie, but movies influence popular opinion! People copy lines from movies all the time. And this was one of those "big time" movies. The script writer who put that in, already had that "preconceived thought" in his head. And then just put it in the movie and didn't think it was a big deal and really did think it's how you say God's name. Steven Spielberg puts his "thumbs up" and then they film that as usual.

I remember in this training session with a Jewish woman. She said she was from Israel. And I wrote the tetragrammaton (for a bit of fun) on the page [the usual Hebrew square script] and she said "That's Jehovah, isn't it?" "How do you spell it in English?" I said the usual 7 letter spelling "J-E-H-O-V-A-H." She certainly didn't say "Yahweh," it's that "preconceived thought" as usual... and she wasn't even religious! She was pretty young only too, only about 20-ish.

{I suppose you all think I am a bit crazy, but I was curious to her reaction, that's all.}

I appreciate all your comments and giving your viewpoint (Narkissos, Leolaia) But I just don't agree and don't wish to discuss it. I just thought mrsjones5 struck a chord about something and typical what movies do to peopel.

I might read over all your comments next time, see what I think then. Doubt if I'll ever change my mind. I'll continue calling up Elohim in prayers as "Jehovah." :)

Thanks, Leolaia, for giving a link to that book about the "Non-Christian Cross," that time. I really appreciate it. And guess what, I still believe it's "stake," not "torture stake," or "cross."

But I really don't want to debate that "cross issue," or the "divine name issue" on this thread. I just want to thank you and Narkissos for help. And all the others that helped me a bit. I am sure you all helped a little bit, even if the question wasn't for me. But I just remember Leolaia and Narkissos more for some reason...

• gumby
    gumby
    I might read over all your comments next time, see what I think then. Doubt if I'll ever change my mind. I'll continue calling up Elohim in prayers as "Jehovah." :)

I'm curious as to WHY your so big on the proper name for god. I've never heard of christians in the various churches ever having a problem with gods name being pronounced correctly. Do you feel it's relevant to god to the point he'll form an opinion of those who mis-pronounce it? Just curious.

Gumby

• inquirer
    inquirer

Sorry gumby, I've already gone over this issue many times and I will not answer that question.

I just want to say one final thing and that's by saying that even though "Yahweh" is much preferred here than saying "Jehovah," I think it's better than saying "LORD." An attempt is being made to render what they feel is the transliteration of the tetragrammaton YHWH/JHVH. People should translate accordingly. I find it awful that 90% of the translations out there refuse to render God's proper name at all -- whether it would be "Yahweh" or "Jehovah."

• gumby
    gumby
    I find it awful that 90% of the translations out there refuse to render God's proper name at all

I find it awful that the WTBTS has ingrained in your head non essential biblical dogma. Do you actually believe that bible translaters "refuse" to render gods name? Do you suppose also Satan has blinded their minds to keep gods name from mankind? Bible translaters don't hate gods name as you have been taught. You....like other witness minded people, miss the point of the scriptures and give relevance to non essentials. If Jesus thought as you did he would have stressed the importance of gods name in his teachings......yet he never brought it up.

Gumby

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

most linguists agree that the letters JHWH stand for JabbaHWalkieh

• What_is_ur_point
    What_is_ur_point

I know this one....me and my friend were talking about this..

When the dead sea scrolls were found.. the name was restored to yehweh and that was the hebrew-aramaic version..

then when the bible was put together... the name needed to be more english.. and the closet thing in english.. the Y was turned into a I or a J.. hense the movie indian jones name of god started with I. thats i .. so then when they finaly decided it finished looking like this JEhovah..

do a google search it's interesting... catholic scholars put together the bible and there were books left out of the bible.. they were mainly historic value not biblical value.. and AND........ the book of revelation was written to fear people... so no wonder why JW's fear people the bible was written to the purpose to FEAR people...

oxox

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    When the dead sea scrolls were found (1947).. the name was restored to yehweh (?? Yahweh has little to do with the DSS, it was already favoured by 19th-century scholarship on the basis of Greek transliterations) and that was the hebrew-aramaic version..

then (?) when the bible was put together... (around the 4th century?) the name needed to be more english (do you mean Latin?).. and the closet thing in english.. the Y was turned into a I or a J.. hense the movie indian jones name of god started with I. thats i .. so then when they finaly decided it finished looking like this JEhovah.. (????)

Oh, and welcome back GumbMeister!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Inquirer
    Since Jesus did not use the word Jehovah why should you? Jesus is always recorded in the NT as usually saying either Father or Lord. Why is his example not good enough for you?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    I find it awful that 90% of the translations out there refuse to render God's proper name at all -- whether it would be "Yahweh" or "Jehovah."

Do you mean in the OT or the NT? What if there is a theological reason why it isn`t mentioned in the NT? What if the authors of the NT-texts were unsure about the nature of christ, whether he was "part of" the Godhead, or not, and that`s why they didn`t use it? There could be a number of reasons why it wasn`t used, and the NT should be read as it was written, not the way some would have liked it to be written.

• defd
    defd

Gods name in english is Jehovah.

Yaweh is Hebrew

LORD is an unpersonal title applied to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit