Is God's name Jehovah, Yaweh, or simply Lord?

by pr_capone 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

I call him Allah

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

Gods name in english is Jehovah.

wow, didn't know "jehovah" was an english word... and strange enough, names usually are not translated. just pronounced incorrectly at best.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Then Jesus came with them to the spot called Geth·sem´a·ne, and he said to the disciples: "Sit down here while I go over there and pray." And taking along Peter and the two sons of Zeb´e·dee, he started to be grieved and to be sorely troubled. Then he said to them: "My soul is deeply grieved, even to death. Stay here and keep on the watch with me." And going a little way forward, he fell upon his face, praying and saying: "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet, not as I will, but as you will."And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter: "Could YOU men not so much as watch one hour with me? Keep on the watch and pray continually, that YOU may not enter into temptation. The spirit, of course, is eager, but the flesh is weak." Again, for the second time, he went off and prayed, saying: "My Father, if it is not possible for this to pass away except I drink it, let your will take place." And he came again and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So leaving them, he again went off and prayed for the third time, saying once more the same word. Then he came to the disciples and said to them: "At such a time as this YOU are sleeping and taking YOUR rest! Look! The hour has drawn near for the Son of man to be betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us go. Look! My betrayer has drawn near." And while he was yet speaking, look! Judas, one of the twelve, came and with him a great crowd with swords and clubs from the chief priests and older men of the people.Now his betrayer had given them a sign, saying: "Whoever it is I kiss, this is he; take him into custody." And going straight up to Jesus he said: "Good day, Rabbi!" and kissed him very tenderly. But Jesus said to him: "Fellow, for what purpose are you present?" Then they came forward and laid hands on Jesus and took him into custody. But, look! one of those with Jesus reached out his hand and drew his sword and struck the slave of the high priest and took off his ear. Then Jesus said to him: "Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father to supply me at this moment more than twelve legions of angels? In that case, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that it must take place this way?" In that hour Jesus said to the crowds: "Have YOU come out with swords and clubs as against a robber to arrest me? Day after day I used to sit in the temple teaching, and yet YOU did not take me into custody. But all this has taken place for the scriptures of the prophets to be fulfilled." Then all the disciples abandoned him and fled.

At what more vivid and intense time would Jesus have used 'Jehovah' if not in this case?

In fact, Jesus never used Jehovah at all as recorded in the original manuscripts.

If Christ had viewed this as a big issue, like JW's and some other Jehovist communities do, would he not have taken every occasion to use the proper name of God to promote it?

Conversely, most witnesses get a funny look on thier faces when someone uses the common, God, the Father, or Lord. It seems as if Jesus was at peace with 'knowing' God. JW's just want to 'know' His Name and other trivialities that they believe 'sets them apart from the world'.

Makes me think that Cliff Claven of 'Cheers' fame would have fit right in with these people. Same lines of reason most of the time.

Jeff

• defd
    defd

In fact, Jesus never used Jehovah at all as recorded in the original manuscripts. These are Jesus words......John 17 : 26 And I have made your NAME known to them and WILL make it KNOWN.........

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The name of God in John 17:

I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world.
    protect them in your name that you have given me
    I protected them in your name that you have given me
    I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.

What "name" is this text speaking about?

• defd
    defd

The name that is found in the original hebrew texts... The tetragramatton. YHWH = Yahweh = Jehovah

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

So the name "Jehovah" has been "given" to Jesus, hasn't it?

• defd
    defd

?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    I might read over all your comments next time, see what I think then. Doubt if I'll ever change my mind. I'll continue calling up Elohim in prayers as "Jehovah." :)

That's cool, Inquirer, I would not expect you to change your mind. Personally I like the name Bob, since no one on earth knows the true pronunciation of God's name and in my mind it's not a really important issue Bob is as good as jehovah.

Josie

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    These are Jesus words......John 17 : 26 And I have made your NAME known to them and WILL make it KNOWN.........

Then, if he meant the actual 'Name' of God, why did he not repeat it time and again? And when he got back to heaven, why did he not make sure that James, John, Paul, Peter, ect all recorded the tet or the Name over and over and over again as they recorded his words. It is a fact, ignored by JW's en masse, that the divine name does not ever appear in the NT, nor on the lips of Jesus as far as we know. How could God the Inspirer of the Word, and His emminent Spokeman Jesus, not make sure that JEHOVAH appeared in the NT if it was so critical? The only way the witnesses are convinced it was there is that Freddy adjusted the text, by his own admission in the forward of the NWT if read carefully, to include the name Jehovah. The Name matters little - or Jesus would have made sure it was in the original Greek texts. It is not. Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit