Hi everyone I am new here

by acuragirl 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, acuragirl. I can't watch horror either. I have a very vivid imagination and they ALWAYS give me nightmares. So I just avoid them. Hubby used to think I was silly but then he took me to a movie that had just a bit too much blood and gore. I tossed all night. I don't think he'll make that mistake again.

Instead of focusing on the fear, you might want to think about what good things you want to add to your life. I am encouraged to see that you know that the Kingdom Hall is a source of much suffering, and sorry, I disagree with your mother. I don't think Jesus wanted us to go through life suffering, only to wait for a promise after you die. Think of the sparrow. It does not worry or fret. And all it does is take care of itself and it's little family. Each day is a new start.

Here's an idea for Halloween. I was never a JW, but I received the same teachings on how Haloween is NOT a Christian holiday at all. I decided to take the good and discard the bad. There are no ghosts or skeletons or witches or bats decorating my home. I get a pumpkin to carve with my granddaughter, and I always ask her what kind of face to give it. She says "happy" , so that is what we do. My granddaughter dresses up in something beautiful and fluffy. Two years ago she was a princess-ballerina-fairy-angel with lots of pinks and sparkles and pink butterfly wings. I enjoy the positive aspects of the holiday with my children and grandchild, and I discard the rest. Think about it. This way you will not be depriving your children.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Honey if you are open to therapy, I strongly suggest it. My 2 daughters have dealt with depression in their young lives and both did so well with therapy. It's just like getting help for any other medical condition....why put up with the pain when there are ways to help make it feel "all better"?

You and your husband sound like a great couple; I don't post here much, or know any of the people here, really, but I came here to learn about my JW relatives....my nephew and niece. When they would not come into the church where their own father's (my brother) funeral service was, it opened my eyes and I wanted to learn more about the JW teachings. I was so sad to find out how heavy they laden the young ones with misguided teachings. Well...not to ramble on, but I do encourage you to seek a therapist to help you through this, I feel you will only grow from it.

Peace,

AuntieJ

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Hi acuragirl and welcome.

My suggestion would be to read the book Combating Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan.

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

Hi, you and I have alot in common. We both went through panic attacks, hence my name Panicattack! Mine have also subsided since walking away from the meetings. I am also off the Lexapro, Xanax, Clenozapan ect. ect. Two things helped me when I was major confused about what to do with the truth or what to do with the rest of my life if this wasnt the truth. I started seeing a psychologist which helped tremendously. After only a couple of visits I started realizing alot of the concerns i was panicing over were ridiculous. One of my concerns was that Satan might be the one dragging me away from Jehovah and his organization. I had been feeling constant guilt for a good while. Alot of the guilt was brought on by my Mom who I love and respect very much and who was only trying to rescue her son for Satan and his demons. The biggest thing that helped me was getting Educated. After the psychologist helped me to reason that considering both sides of an issue was a normal thing and that for one to consider both sides of his religion was acceptable and not sipping from the glass of the demons as I always been taught. I finally started reading to see what issues were out there. I read Crisis of Conscience, In search of Christian freedom, Combatting cult mind control, empowering people to think for themselves and im not reading Gentile times reconsidered. The fear, guilt and obligation to the society is now gone. I still believe in Jehovah and Christ Jesus. I dont do drugs, cheat on my wife and i dont have demon problems. If something bothers my conscience I DONT DO IT! I basically let my bible trained conscience decide whats wrong or right when the bible isnt black and white on the issue. I hope some of these things help. Just educate yourself. Knowlege is power. Message me if I can help.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Hi acuragirl-

Welcome!! I understand your feelings! I got reinstated after feeling guility about leaving my younger siblings. But after I had my daughter, there was no way I was going to stay and raise my child like that. Don't let guilt get to you. Go with your heart.

shelley

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Welcome!

GGG

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hello and welcome acuragirl!

Baby steps, it will all come together you'll see.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, PanickAttack, that was awesome advice! I do believe those who have been through it KNOW.

• New Horizon
    New Horizon

Wow, I feel your pain. Trust me I do. I'm new at this too. I just joined the site today, very skecptical just like you.

I was born and raised in the religion, I know nothing else but that, I've never celebrated a holiday nor a birthday.

I'm trying to intergrate in the "World" and i'm finding it to be hard. I feel as though I don't fit in. But then again I was never able to fit in at the KH.

I know very well the pain that your feeling in dissapointing your mom. For I have the same problem with mines. I love my mother with all my heart, I would lay my life down for her, but unfortunetley I've let her down, I never became the beloved by everyone regular pioneer or the one that stayed a virgin until marriage or much less the one that marrys a young spiritual bethalight.

I have left the religion, because I can not stand the hypocrate people that run the organization.

The only thing I could tell you is to go by what you know. The JW religion has many faults just like all the religions in the world, but one good thing I did learn form them is history, all of the national holidays have a very awfal begining. As for you letting your children partake in these pagain holidays, is totally up to you, but just remember this, how would you feel if you've lost someone very dear to you like for example your mother, to some terible act of volicen, then the people that commited the violent act begin to rejoice and celebrate thier victory. as time goes by people soon begin to forget and take your mothers death as a day for celebration with little or no respect to the actual reality that a human life was take so violently, and that you and all of her loved ones suffered.

Just keep in mind that all of this holidays come from acient civilizations where people acted more like animals than people, in a time when human life was viewed as kills a roach. not taking into consideration that human suffering was taking place.

As for being scared of spirits; don't be. Yes we all know that Satan and his demons exsist as well as Jehova and his many legens for angels, just remember to always respect them and they will in turn respect you. When I say respect I mean don't do thing to anger them, spirits are around us 24 / 7 they walk with us sleep and live with us, at times you may even see them, when that happens don't get scared that just means that they are trying to communicate with you. If your strong and willing you can listen to them, they won't hurt you unless you let them.

The spirits are another life form, look at them as if they were aliens for another planet, they are made of a different material than us but they are here as well because they are a creation of Jehovah, If there is one thing that i've learned about the spirits is that they are just like us humans, as humans we have the power to love and to hate, we have the ability to distroy or to care for. We have the power to take life and to give life, the same is true within the spirit realm. the spirit have the same ability they can harm us if they are disrespected as well as they can help us and guide us if we allow them to. Just remember that good and bad exsist in everyone and everything. Just remember the next time you feel alone don't be ashame to pray to jehovah and ask him to send you an angel for he will, jehovah will not forsake you just because you don't attend a JW meeting, he loves us all, and what jehovah looks for is person who is good in the heart, not a person that can put on the best act at a KH. I too fear the armagedon, but i truly believe that if i remain true to myself and live life and respect all living things and things around me then no sin can be found in me.

Enjoying life and the pleasure that are in it are not a sin, as long as i'm not inflicting an unwanted misory or unwanted pain to someone else in my pursute of happiness and pleasue then i know that i'm not sinning. for if his allowed it to exsist for this long, then he must to a certain extent agree with it. Don't be afraid of the armageden, for "IF" it comes, no harm will come to you or your family as long as you remain good in your heart.

Sincerely,

Your friend in pain

New Horizon.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Welcome, Acuragirl!!!

When I read that you were "looking over the shoulder" of gringojj, I hoped you would sign on. It is very cathartic to post in your own words what you are going through. It will also help you to find logical niches for the new ways of thinking, you have to spend some time sort of "rewiring" your brain

In my case, that has been the hardest part. Familiar paths can't be trusted automatically anymore, I have to consciously think, "Now, why do I feel that way?" or, "Why am I doing this in this particular way?" to train myself away from cult thought(less) routines. You'll be fine. Your husband loves you a LOT! I daresay you don't doubt that his love is stronger for you than love from anyone at your local hall.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Oh! And...Welcome, New Horizon!!! Looking forward to your posts as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit