Have you done your family tree?????

by Es 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have been able to trace my family as far back as 1597 and some of the first settlers to Canada. there is a lot of marrying of third and fourth cousins. (guess they didn't have a lot of choices) and their is a lot of aboriginal blood in the family (they are really hard to get info about due to name changes) This is my mothers side of the family.

I'm not so lucky at tracing my father's side of the family. I can only get to 1640 when his grandfather came from England

I think it is Mulan that has also done a lot of this

• jgnat
    jgnat

The FIRST thing I did when I got a computer was to work on my family tree. I come from a family of Scots, so my records go way back. Also, my granddaughter is related to a line of African kings, and there is an oral history that goes back farther than any of my paper records!

The further I dug, the more interesting it became. The peripheral information became so much more fun to read than "filling in the blanks". These were real, ordinary, interesting people. Isobel Baillie was a famous singer in her day. I have a great cousin, many times removed, who set up a gramophone shop in Hawaii. Uncle Christie was a decorated war hero who also was famous through the north for surviving a Grizzly attack. A great grandfather was an accomplished Scottish cabinetmaker who took care of an English lord's country estate. When he moved to Canada he built the display cabinets for the Royal Ontario Museum. His son, wandering the halls of the museum, developed a lifelong interest in birds and is probably my most famous relative, Uncle Jim Baillie.

I love finding an original census record on microfilm. Because you can see all the family members who were there in a snapshot of time. All their occupations are listed, and you get an idea of what an extended family household must have looked like. Uncle Christie, the oldest, was already off adventuring. The Christies had a couple servants living with them. I notice the underage servant's occupation was listed as "scholar", so I imagine the boy went to school with his master.

My family page

• Bryan
    Bryan

I have found a book written on my family decendence (Poindexter). The are from the Ilse of Jersey just off the French coast. The book goes back to the early 1800s. I have actually seen trees from my family that go back to the 500s and go through many English and French Kings, but would need to conferm myself before I'd believe it.

I'm also a decendent of Sequoyah. He created the Cherokee alphabet.

I have relatives who faught in the civil war and the war of 1812.

It's a lot of fun.

I have been going around to the old ones of the family and interviewing them on video for later generations.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have been a genealogy buff for many years and have traced my family back hundreds of years on both sides.

Both of my parents are of British ancestry, and most were just average folks, but when they got to this country there are some notable ancestors.

A few are: Benedict Arnold, Aaron Burr, Grover Cleveland, Nathan Hale, Lydia Pinkham (all cousins). On my mother's side is Princess Diana (her grandmother was mom's thrid cousin............an American "commoner" by the way) and Caleb Carr, a former governor of Massachussetts. I am also related to Frank Gifford, but have never met him (third cousin).

I am a direct descendant of Roger Conant, a Puritan who founded Salem Mass. There is a statue of him in the middle of town.

That's all I can remember right now, but there are more rascals in there.

• Mary
    Mary

My father's cousin (now deceased) had our family papers that went back quite a way. Apparently we can trace our family back to Queen Elizabeth Ist. The papers are long gone, but I'd love to have them done officially. Anyone know how you go about getting your family history traced without having to pay thousands of dollars?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Mary, the easiest way is to interview to your grandma or a great Aunt. If you can get the "oral" family tree dating back to 100 years, with birthdays, dates of death, marriage dates, and maiden names, you will be able to track the rest from online records. Most online records won't give you information on living people, that's why getting that first hundred years of information is important.

Getting the first hundred years is not as hard as it sounds, that's three generations at most. What was grandma's mother's maiden name, and when did she get married? What were her siblings names and what was their birth order? Stuff like that. Mother's maiden names is important, because that is the only way you can track their genealogy.

After that, searching on line is a breeze. You can even take advantage of another cult's obsession, LDS family records, very handy!

http://www.familysearch.org/

A grandchild should interview their oldest living relatives at least once. Unless of course, that relative is an axe-murdering abusive freak. First of all, you are getting invaluable family history. Second, you are providing a pleasant diversion for a senior citizen, who is usually more than eager to share forgotten memories.

• kristyann
    kristyann

Luna2,

aww I sorta feel bad for your paternal grandmother! That's too bad. I know that happens to a lot of people, they want to know about their families and then some jerk charges them to tell them ANYTHING... thats sad.

• Es
    Es

I so have more research to do. The guy who started ours didnt do any birthdates or death dates luckily my nan has a great memory for all of that. But there are hundreds. I am heading off the the State library to spend the whole day researching people looking up birth ceritificates.

Of course i found heaps of info on Ned kelly and family being all over the internet, but like someone said when you read bout them they become more real and its so true, I was reading bout most of the members of the kelly gang and it was amazing i cant even tell you how it felt.

Good luck with finding things out people

es

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

On my father's side, Osceola, the famed Seminole Indian is supposed to be my great great great great grandfather. The tree looks legit, but before I'll really believe it, I'll have to look into it to see if it can be proved. I know that before I saw the tree, when I used to listen to the song Seminole Wind by John Anderson, when the verse played that said, "I heard the ghost of Osceola cry." I felt a very strong emotion and connection that I didn't understand. It could be a coincidence.

• Mary
    Mary
    Mulan said: Both of my parents are of British ancestry, and most were just average folks, but when they got to this country there are some notable ancestors.........A few are: Benedict Arnold,

Funny......where my sister lives in Ontario, Benedict Arnold is considered a Saint, yet just 20 miles away in Buffalo, New York, he's considered the worst traitor known to man since Judas Iscariot..........hey Mulan, maybe you and I are related somewhere back along our English ancestry!!

Thanks for the info jnat! I'll look into that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit