Should I ask to be taken out of the school?

by lola28 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Fake tourettes
    Love it, what a great concept. I wonder how many expletives you could say before being tackled off the stage. I know a guy on microphones that tripped over a bag and said **ck. He didn't get to do microphones after that.
    I also appreciate what i learnt by being on the school. For a couple of years i selectively did talks that were on topics i could cope with, and handed back the ones that i felt strongly against. It has helped with my career. Earlier this year I travelled around Australia presenting a roadshow with Microsoft. I was chosen over the others at work for my speaking ability.

• defd
    defd

Befoe you take your self off I would TELL the Elders WHY you want to Maybe just MAYBE you would awaken something inside them.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derrick:
    Why grasp the tail of the snake? The reality is that it would awaken them to take action against her. Why should she lose her family if she's doing no-one any harm?

Carla:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/20680/1.ashx

• defd
    defd

Little toe i think she is doing HERSELF harm

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Derrick:
    I think that anyone who continues to go to meetings (even sporadically) is doing themselves harm. If keeping silent is only doing herself harm, then that's altruistic enough. Why should she disturb that status quo for others? Not everyone can bear the saying...

Respectfully,

Ross.

• SamIam1976
    SamIam1976

Jwfacts...Your story of the guy who tripped while doing the mike's reminded me of something that happened long ago to me.

I was sitting at one of our long TMS meetings on Tuesday night and had dozed off. LOL I awoke with such a start that my leg jumped and my shoe flew off and hit the speaker in the head on the stage!!! I was so embarrassed. I think I was like 13 or 14 at the time. At least that woke up most of the audience too. Haha.

Sorry I know this didn't have anything to do with the topic of this thread but I just had to share my funny memory.

Back to the topic at hand:

If you no longer want to give talks and want to be taken off the schedule I would just tell the Presiding Overseer. They don't make a big deal out of it usually unless he sees you as a "saving case" or something and wants to butt into your reasons as why you want to be off the schedual. In my experience I just stopped going to meetings so I really didn't give them a chance to ask questions. Good luck to you. :)

Sherry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

ROFL @ Sherry, and welcome to the board

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

To give the school it's due, it did me a lot of good, as I was previously terrified of public speaking. It has helped me in my professional life a great deal.

But if you don't wish to be on the school I'd suggest speaking to the school overseer and tell him to remove you from it. That way you go through the stress of telling him only once. If you just keep cancelling all your talks you are subjecting yourself to this every time you're assigned a talk. It stresses everyone else involved too. I remember suggesting this to my ex, as she was often cancelling her talks and went through great stress each time. The last time she ended up walking out of the hall 2 minutes before she was to give her talk, and I had to go over to the school overseer to tell him she was gone.

W

• defd
    defd

If she continues to go with the flow and hold everything INSIDE, it WILL eventually come out. By then it will be MUCH MUCH worse than if she tackled things head on right away.

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, if you want off the school, you tell the school overseer. The PO will just redirect you to the school overseer.

Some school overseers will not take you off even if you ask. I've seen some sign people up without telling them (e.g., people who move in from another congregation). If you have a SO like that, then cancelling your talks is the only other way to deal with it. Eventually, he will stop assigning you talks without your consent.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit