Can You Spot A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

While on vacation in St. Louis a few years ago I saw a dub couple at the swimming pool wearing their assembly badges and reading what I assumed was the new release. I think they should have been watching their kids who were swimming.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Can You Spot A Jehovah's Witness?

No, but my dub-eating pet chihuahua can.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Usually on Saturday mornings around 11:00 a.m. at fast food places near the KH.

Hamsterbait, John Updike mentions JWs in some of his other short stories, like in his short story "Tomorrow and tomorrow and so forth". I wonder what experience he ever had with JWs to include them in his stories.

• Jourles
    Jourles

My wife is a natural born loud talker. She gets louder the more excited she gets about something. Unfortunately for me, when we are out in public and she starts talking about the meetings, conventions, etc., I can just feel the eyes turning towards us. I think to myself, "Oh god, here she goes again. I really wish these people knew that I AM NOT a witness." I have told her MANY times in the past that she needs to learn to control her volume when she starts talking. Afterall, I am only three feet away and my hearing is just fine. I normally point my finger at my tightly closed mouth when she gets going. She has one of two responses - 1. "Ooops, sorry. I'll try to keep it down" -- or 2. **folds arms together and looks away angry** I never know which response I am going to get.

So you never know. Just because you hear someone talking about "theocratic" things, doesn't mean that all parties in attendance are witnesses. 'Cause I sometimes chat along with her about other brothers and sisters or whatever.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

HA! The responses on here got me cracking up! (I really should keep from being on here while I am in class; quite hard to stifle the laughter ) But don't forget the young ones during there "night outs" It will almost always be at one of 3 places

1. The bowling alley: where Bro. Brown is sitting in the corner reading the latest WT as he 'chaperones'

2. The mall: where a group of them will huddle around glad to have a couple hours where they can pretend they are normal teenagers.

3. The movies: where there will be at least 20 mintues to discuss which of the PG-13 flicks are appropriate enough but always end up picking the one with the most sex scenes and dirty comedy (on accident of course) But that does not stop the pioneers sister and brother to the left of me laughiing hysterically every 5 minutes.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I spotted a couple on my recent holiday, my friends didn't believe me when I said what these two were, they looked too "normal", but then one of them offerred us a tract. I was put on dub watch for the rest of the holiday!

• G Money
    G Money

I saw a lady get on the bus and she looked pretty for her age, not torn up like many her age. She had her maid's uniform on. I say torn up as in Mexico, people that do manual labour rapidly age and she was perhaps 30. I thought she looked different. Then she sat in front of me and started reading a Watchtower. That confirmed it. I asked if she was a witness and she said yes. I said I don't go anymore and to get to the hall I'd have to take 3 busses and it was 30 kilometres away. I'm not one of those guys you hear experiences of that walked uphill (both ways) to the meeting for 3 days in deep snow in Africa.

• hubert
    hubert

If I suspect someone of being a witness, I fake a sneeze.

If I don't get a "god bless you" in reply, I know I got one.

Hubert

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here they are the only people who wear IBM business suits on Saturday. Saturday morning at the local supermarket is their break spot. I see them often. The teen age girls stand out too, wearing out of fashion lace and ruffles. Another thing I notice is a miss matched group. Like a 80 year old man wearing a 1940 suit, with a striking 40 year old well dressed woman with a too tall teen with too short pants and pimples. All walking out of the market together but not together, sort of like strangers on a bus. None of them know me, but they won't make eye contact.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I can't spot them unless they are street witnessing or have a convention badge on. If I am somewhere on vacation or some other situation I am usually caught by surprise when one shoves a magazine or tract into my hand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit