So, are you, by nature, and introvert or extrovert?

by onacruse 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh Craig Really Do you have to ask these hard questions?

How do I know?

From as early as I can remember I spent my life blending into the walls so as not to be beaten or yelled at. A few years ago I was talking to someone I was friends with when we were about 8 years old. I asked her how she would have described me back then. She told me I just sorted disappeared into the walls. So that perception of myself was confirmed.

I find it really odd that I should have enjoyed interpreting (sign language) so much. I loved it. It was the first time in my life that I had a reason to come alive. For me signing was a total body experience. My face came alive and my eyes sparkled. People say they loved to watch me (ask Mouthy). It is probably why they asked me to sign most of the important talks. I was ab,e to convey feeling in the message - something that few other interpreters we had could do. I loved it.

But once I was off the blending into the background would happen again and I would sit and wait for my turn next.

Then I left the JWs and went into therapy and back to school. I was working on myself and slowly coming out of my shell. And I found a passion for the work I do with survivors of abuse. Put me in front of a classroom and I can talk non-stop for 2-3 hours. What fascinates me is that even when the class is over people don't want to stop. They want to keep going and have a question and answer period. (I guess I must be doing something right.) Again I come alive.

But in interpreting and lecturing I am in control. Put me in a room of people and I want to disappear. I'm still working on this one

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I have always by nature been an introvert. I am contentedly solo, the proverbial hermit. Social gatherings fill me with anxieties. I'd rather read a book.

Frannie

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I once though that I was by nature an introvert.

However, I have since come to realise that I was by nature in fact quite an extrovert:

- Upbringing beat that out of me, and environment added to the change-around.

This happened before I ever became a JW, but that certainly didn't help.

Jack.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I tend to answer your question despite I am an introvert.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I am an introvert!

• Undecided
    Undecided

It depends on the mood I'm in at the time. It's like asking if you are happy or sad, sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Ken P.

I didn't notice the "by nature" part. I guess by nature I'm happy and extroverted.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

It's sort of complicated... I started out as an extrovert.... until we moved when I was in the 6th grade and the kids in my class started to really pick on me because of my being a jw. I went home crying every single day.... and quickly learned how to be invisible. It pretty much changed me into an introvert. It got better over time, but I never really went back to being the extrovert that I started out as.

Today, it depends on the situation... I do a lot of public speaking for my job, and am very comfortable with that.... but I also tend to be a loner at times.... I'm somewhat an introvert at parties... so maybe I'm both????

Coffee

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I'd like to think that Im a good balance of the two as I can appreciate being a home body and closing my self off to the outside world, yet I also enjoy meeting new people and social situations.

• weinermcgee
    weinermcgee

Most of my childhood/jw upbringing I was naturally an introvert, as an adult I'm both, I have been the life of the party kind of guy who's social life takes more effort and time then a full time job, and i have been known to enter hermit mode where i'm not seen in months by any of my friends. I think I am naturally ambidextrous in this.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't care if people are an introvert or an extrovert as long as they aren't a pervert.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit