Jehovah's Witness Debate in Southern CA

by Unclepenn1 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Grouper
    Grouper

Corbin is a great guy; he believes in many of the JW teachings but has his reservations on a few. The trinity doctrine is one in particular that has always tickled his fancy.

Good luck to you Corbin on your debate and to Greg as well if he is part of it too.

Late

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The fun thing about open public debates is that you can spout all sorts of BS that has absolutely no basis in fact or reality and no one will know it until long after you "won" the debate with all of this wonderful "information".

JWs tend to use this tactic a lot.

• aniron
    aniron

Our Pastor has often offered JW's a debate on their teachings. Even sent requests to local Kingdom Hall. Even offered to either go to the KH or use a local community centre. He has never received a reply yet.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Grouper, do I know you?

I have known Andrew Corbin for maybe 7 years. I met him on AOL. In fact I just recently mentioned him here on JWD a couple of days ago in response to a question by proplog2. Andrew indeed knows his stuff, and he indeed will make a good defense for JW christology (which is likely what this will be about; they both will agree that the Father is eternal and uncreated and nobody really cares about the holy spirit in such debates (trinitarians please don't flame me)). Andrew knows I am disfellowshipped but he will still chat with me, and on a personal level (e.g. how are you doing, how are your wife's college studies going, etc.).

I hope he does well in the debate and I stress debate for this reason. I bought and watched Greg Stafford's debate with Ron Bowman on DVD format last year and while Greg did a good job, I think he lost the debate on points. What I mean is, if you were scoring the debate, Bowman won, IMO. I would emotionally have sided with Greg but he didn't "win the debate."

I might add that Andrew, Greg, and another personal friend of theirs who is a JW used to tell me about some interesting behind-the-scenes goings-on in Watchtower apologist scholarly circles. I'm not going to relay much of it here, but one thing people might find interesting: I was told (in other words I did not verify this for myself) that there was a group of about 50 'scholarly type' JWs who were connected through the internet and communicated with Bethel's Writing Department. A schism in that group came about when Greg released Three Dissertations; some were for the book, some against, considering it apostate. My guess is that Andrew was deeply involved in that group [edited to add for clarification as my grammar was poor: of 50], and that may be one reason why he will receive no censure or discipline for participating in the scheduled debate.

• Dune
    Dune

One thing you can be sure of. This JW is not an elder. And mostly likely not even a MS or pioneer.

I wouldnt be surprised if he's inactive or not a witness at all. If he "wins" this will probably be used as an example of a person using their knowledge to destroy the trinity doctrine, and if he "loses" everyone will just say that he wasnt authorized and therefore cannot reflect the orgo as a whole. Kind of like espionage

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Dune, it's been a little while since I talked to Andrew, but back then I'm pretty darn sure he was not pioneering or considering it, and was too young to be an elder. I also seem to recall that his wife is a marvelous piano player and she was going to college and planning on getting her Masters, but I forget the subject. He was and probably still is a very liberally-minded JW. Edited to add: Andrew has made one post here on JWD, 3 1/2 years ago, and it's a pretty similar topic and directed at UnclePenn: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/25201/322368/post.ashx#322368 As Johnny Carson would say, That's some wild and wacky stuff.

• Grouper
    Grouper

Cy

I don't think I know you but then again I'm not sure, never been to NY.

Corban, not Corbin or Andrew, is a good friend of mine, we are from the class that gets a university graduate degree, party's, and keeps it cool with the sheep. Corban and other buddies of our's hang out here in SoCal.

Dune

He was a reg pio and MS but presently he chose not to be those things.

Late

• West70
    West70

If arrangements are completed, you can listen to the debate live:

http://www.unchainedradio.com/nuke/modules.php?name=FormalDebates

• upside/down
    upside/down

Sorry... I don't think the Dubs will "lose" this one...

The "trinity"...is one of christendom's biggest "mind-benders"...it takes more credulity to believe than what the Dubs teach...IMHO!

u/d (of the why combat a cult with another wierd teaching class)

p.s.- Religion is a snare and a racket...

• caligirl
    caligirl

Is he debating Miles, or another pastor? I've been to this church a couple of times.

I can't go, but it does sound interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit