Can any JW answer OldSoul's 4 questions about JW teachings scripturally?

by kwintestal 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

It will mean a lot of reading for you, Toreador. Hopefully, you are up to the task . But you asked for it! Critical to understanding the view I have (notice how I admit right up front that this is a personal viewpoint?) is an understanding of how the Scriptures say we get help in understanding truth. So, if you want to take the path I took, study these chunks (paragraph minimum) of Scripture and ask two questions of each:

(1) What does the Bible say about Spirit?

(2) What does the Bible say about truth?

I have also included the "slam dunk" scripture, quoted in full. Ready? Here it comes (KJV):

1 John 2:26-29 — These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Any religion that does not teach this is from someone trying to seduce you. What codified religion, with a creed of any kind, teaches this? Here, in order of appearance, are the Scriptures I applied the two questions to. Some of the ones on the list may be surprising to you, but as you study you will likely understand why they are there:

John 1:14-18
    John 4:16-26
    John 8:31-41
    John 14:6-7
    John 14:15-21
    John 14:25-31
    John 16:12-16
    John 17:15-19
    Romans 2:1-11
    Romans 2:17-24
    1 Corinthians 12:27-13:7
    2 Corinthians 4:1-6
    Galatians 2:1-5
    Galatians 2:11-14
    Galatians 5:1-12
    Ephesians 1:8-23
    Ephesians 4:11-16
    Ephesians 5:6-20
    2 Thessalonians 2:3-17
    1 Timothy 2:1-7
    1 Timothy 3:14-4:5
    1 Timothy 6:2-8
    2 Timothy 2:14-19
    2 Timothy 2:23-26
    2 Timothy 3:1-4:5
    Titus 1:13-16
    James 1:16-18
    2 Peter 1:19-2:3
    1 John 1:5-2:6
    1 John 2:18-29

I hope this helps. I think it is cool that you had a sense that you didn't need an organizational intermediary.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Toreador,

I just wanted to add, although there is pretty clear indication that the apostles and older men in Jerusalem did not agree on many things, you notice that I have in the list examples from Jesus (according to John), Paul, James, Peter, and John. On this point, there seems to have been strong agreement among them. Paul even said this issue related to the issue that was the very reason he was called as an Apostle.

Please give me feedback on your impressions.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• toreador
    toreador

Thank you very much OS! It may take me a few days to read it all but I will. It looks like you did your homework. :)

Thanks,

Toreador

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Shadow,

You linked to this thread in the thread from concerned elder. Do you have Scriptures to demonstrate the validity of their claim to authority now, or has your viewpoint changed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit