Bicycling

by Cygnus 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Hi all. As I am without an automobile, I am going to buy a cheap bicycle tonight. Anyone here use a bicycle as a primary means of transportation? Any comments are welcome.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Yes,

In fact it was my only transportation in NY(where you seem to be) for many years, aside from the subway. I used to story my bike in the machine shop metal racks at Bethel and take of on Saturday afternoon for a week end ride. It is great in NY. If you ignore the stop lights you can keep up with the traffic through Manhattan. I had a car for about a year in NY but hated the parking problems and licencing and inspections.

Steve

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

For years my 10 speed was my only transportation, I'm not sure I could go back to that now, too spoiled. Though it is a thought, what with gas prices...

Speaking from experience, don't get the cheapest bike you can get if it's going to be your only mode of transport. IE, no Walmart/Kmart 49.99 specials. Go ahead and spend $1-200 bucks on it. If you're in less than great shape, get a 12 or 15 speed, the extra low gears make it easier on hills. Consider where you're going to store it, both at home and work/school. If you're going to have to lug it up and down flights of stairs, you'll thank yourself if you get a lighter (but more expensive) frame made of aluminum. Also, middle-pull brakes work better and are more reliable than side-pull. (Side-pull brakes have the cable offset to one side, and eventually begin to pull the brakes off center. Middle-pull brakes have the cable in the middle, and pull on both brake pads equally.) Quick release wheels are a nice option too, if it doesn't make the bike too pricy; they are handy both for making fast repairs and for making it harder to steal the bike.

Buy accessories. You will need them. Meaning a small toolkit, airpump, patch kit, etc. Consider buying the gel-filled intertubes that won't go flat and putting them on. It will be good practice for how to change a tube anyway, if you've never done it. I would also suggest a light kit and/or orange safety vest if you're going to be riding at night, and you probably will with shorter daylight hours coming soon.

Remember that people in cars are idiots. They never consider you. I've had many incidents where I took a tumble or had a close call because of dumb drivers. One time really angered me; I was riding a slight downslope that lasted a mile, on such terrain I could just about keep up with traffic at 35 mph. The law around here says that you ride on the road, with traffic-not on the sidewalk, or against traffic. This lady made a right turn directly abreast of me, forcing me to turn right with her or end up plastered against the right side of her car. My left elbow, knee, and pedal were bumping into her door panel through the whole turn. I struggled to maintain control until we both came to a stop, she then jumped out of her car and began to accost me, threatening to sue me if I had damaged her paint job. I cussed her out for a solid minute without taking a breath I think, then went on my way because I was on a tight schedule on my way to work, which was a 7 mile ride one way.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Thanks guys.

AATW, yes I'm going to do all that, and have taken into consideration all that you said. Thanks for the great advice!

• kid-A
    kid-A

in a city like Toronto, about 10-15 cyclists end up as roadkill every year. I would guess NYC would be even worse. Until north american cities have the wisdom to put in designated bike lanes on major roads (like in Amsterdam for e.g.), its just never going to be safe cycling in a big city....meanwhile the car smog just gets worse and worse......

• Caedes
    Caedes

Buy the best bike you can if you are planning to use it regularly, try talking to your local bike shop and asking if they have anything suitable second hand. When buying a bike the frame is the most important part followed by wheels, headset, bottom bracket, brakes. Being light is important since it's you that will have to get it up hills, a more expensive lightweight bike will be more responsive, will handle better, be more comfortable and you will be more likely to use it. Always test ride before you buy. If you are only planning on riding on-road you don't need suspension, If you're riding off road don't buy a cheap suspension bike.

Proper gear also makes a world of difference to your comfort and safety, decent helmet, gloves, shoes and shorts. Clipless pedals (they confusingly clip onto your shoes) or clipped pedals (where your feet are strapped to the pedals) are very easy to get used to and make pedalling much easier.

Sidepull brakes are as good as centrepull if they are maintained and lubricated properly. The most important things to look after are the headset, bottom bracket, cables, chain, sprockets and chainrings, brake pads and rims. If in doubt buy a book, if your bike is making a noise it needs fixing.

The most important thing to remember is that everyone else on the road is trying to kill you so ride defensively, i.e. not in the gutter. I ride about 1/4 of the road width out except at junctions where I ride in the middle of my lane. If you need to change lane do NOT wait for a gap, signal clearly and then glare over your shoulder. Eye contact is very important when in traffic. Watch every other road user and you will quickly learn to anticipate problems ahead.

Pedestrians are deaf, blind, stupid and have no sense of speed, so keep an eye out for them and their lemming like desire to walk out in front of you.

If you think a road is too dangerous to ride on, ride on the pavement, its better to be riding where you shouldn't than be another statistic.

Other than all that it's great fun.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

What kind of bike are you looking for? A mountain, road bike or just a BMX?

If you're looking for commuting within a city and you're not the type that goes on the trails, get a road bike. But if you're the type that looks for all sorts of shortcuts, an MTB is the best thing for you. Of course, you can use a BMX bike, but BMX's look silly on anybody over 18.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Oh, and if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, buy anything made by KHS. I own an FXT trail (2, now that I kicked that guy's ass and stole my old bike back from the bastard.)

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I have been doing a bit of research on this, since I want to get a comfort bike for commuting around town (errands, quick trips to grocery store for those things you end up buying mid week like milk, etc).

Here is a good forum for you to check out:

http://www.bigbikeforums.com/

Also, someone pointed me to a really cool site:

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

Someone used google's maps so that you can plan a walking/bike riding trip...just trace your route and it will give you the mileage...this is handy, I think, because you don't have to have ending address, and usually when you look up directions on maps.google.com or others, it will give the best driving directions, that are not usually the best walking or bike riding directions.

Good luck...I hope you find a good bike. Your local bike shop will usually let you do a layaway plan if you need to. Worst case scenario, if you have to get one at Walmart, if you don't have the knowledge to do it your self, take that bike to be tuned up at a bike shop, because they usually are not put together too well at walmart (or put it together yourself).

I may just go get a cheap walmart one, and put a really nice bike on layaway in a few months because I don't want money to stop me from getting back on a bike.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I'm usually of the mind that you get what you pay for, and to buy/hire the best when possible.

But since moths fly out of my wallet when I open it, I bought a used Trek Antelope 820 for $35.00. And ya know what? I love it. I just got home from Blockbuster to rent some movies and it would've taken me 50 minutes to walk there and back, but on the bike it took about 15. Cruising on it kinda makes me feel like I'm 15 again. :)

Edited to add: I dunno how many gears it has, I've only used 4 so far and that seems sufficient. I don't want to try and ride too fast as, where I live, there are a lot of pedestrians, I live near an airport, and there's a lot of road construction. So I gotta be careful The bike has 21" diameter wheels and is pretty heavy, which I prefer. I like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit