unforgivable sin--sin against the holy spirit

by rebel8 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

Is there such a thing in JW mythology? ;)

I thought apostacy was considered unforgivable but I can't find any quotes on the topic.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i researched that once. i believe it's when you completely turn your back on jehoober's org. so i guess we would be considered as having commited the unforgivable sin.

anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong...it's been awhile.

luv, jojo

• kid-A
    kid-A

My understanding that it was a 'sin directly against the holy spirit', but I never understood what that meant. My parents once told me if I ever directly defamed jehovahs name or 'lied' to god, that would be counted as totally unforgivable and I would be cast into the firey lake of gehenna!!! WHOO-HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Well if pissing on a poster of the Tetragrammaton in between bong hits while wearing a t-shirt reading "Kiss me, I've SINNED AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT" doesnt do it, I don't know what will.

By the way I'm planning a "SIN AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT 2006" party early next year for anyone interested.

GBL

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's the relevant passage, Mark 3:22-30--

22 And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, "He is possessed by Beelzebub [ c ] ! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons."

23 So Jesus called them and spoke to them in parables: "How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house. 28 I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

30 He said this because they were saying, "He has an evil spirit."

Notice that the reasoning here was the fact that they were attributing the power of the Holy Spirit to the power of Satan/demons. This is what Jesus considered to be blasphemy.

So the lesson here is, as pointed out beautifully at: http://www.jwreform.org/idolatry.html

if Jesus has not yet picked a “slave” to appoint over all his belongings, then it is entirely possible that others might be doing his work, that others might have God’s spirit, and that others might have some truth. If we attribute their good works to Satan, are we committing the unforgivable sin?

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

The unforgiveable sin is the monster in the closet used to control the little kiddies.

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

from the 9/15/92 watchtower

Some sins are unforgivable. Jesus Christ said: "Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven." (Matthew 12:31) So, then, blasphemy against God’s holy spirit, or active force, will not be forgiven. The apostle Paul alluded to such sin when he wrote: "It is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, . . . but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame."—Hebrews 6:4-6.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Here's the relevant passage, Mark 3:22-30--

Mark 3:22-30

22 And the teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem said, "He is possessed by Beelzebub [ c ] ! By the prince of demons he is driving out demons."

23 So Jesus called them and spoke to them in parables: "How can Satan drive out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand. 26 And if Satan opposes himself and is divided, he cannot stand; his end has come. 27 In fact, no one can enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can rob his house. 28 I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

30 He said this because they were saying, "He has an evil spirit."

from the 9/15/92 watchtower

Some sins are unforgivable. Jesus Christ said: "Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven." (Matthew 12:31) So, then, blasphemy against God’s holy spirit, or active force, will not be forgiven. The apostle Paul alluded to such sin when he wrote: "It is impossible as regards those who have once for all been enlightened, . ;. ;. but who have fallen away, to revive them again to repentance, because they impale the Son of God afresh for themselves and expose him to public shame."—Hebrews 6:4-6.
    I think the WTS is confusing two different "eternal sins". Mark 3:29 clearly expresses that there are more than one eternal sin, otherwise it would have said "he is guilty of the eternal sin" instead of "he is guilty of an eternal sin".

Mark 3:30 defines "blasphemy of the holy spirit": Saying that someone with holy spirit is not with holy spirit. Basically questioning someone who is truly under holy spirit.

The thing in Hebrews 6:4-6 is referring to another, entirely different "eternal sin". This is the sin of renouncing your faith as a Christian.
  • Honesty
    Honesty

if Jesus has not yet picked a “slave” to appoint over all his belongings, then it is entirely possible that others might be doing his work, that others might have God’s spirit, and that others might have some truth. If we attribute their good works to Satan, are we committing the unforgivable sin?

Where in the bible does it specifically say that Jesus is going to appoint a 'slave' over all His belongings?

My parents fell for the same BS the WT teaches about Matthew 24:45 when they became members of the World Wide Church of God back in the 1950's. The only difference was that Herbert W. Armstrong claimed to be the Faithful Discreet Slave for the WWCoG while the WT claimed that the Governing Body is the Faithful Discreet Slave. When examined in context, the account is a parable (n. a ficticious story pointing a moral). So, both the WWCoG and the WT have based their assumptions that they have been appointed as God's voice to mankind on a story not meant to be taken literally.

I must be doubly guilty of commiting the unforgiveable sin then because I rejected the apostate teachings of the WWCog for the teachings of the WTBTS. Then, 15 years later I rejected the apostate teachings of the WTBTS. Does that mean I get a double non-resurrection? That's funny because according to Jesus everyone is going to be resurrected Once again, the WTBTS gets it all wrong.

26 For just as the Father has life in Himself, so also He has granted to the Son to have life in Himself.

27 And He has granted Him the right to pass judgment, because He is the Son of Man.

28 Do not be amazed at this, because a time is coming when all who are in the graves will hear His voice

29 and come out—those who have done good things, to the resurrection of life, but those who have done wicked things, to the resurrection of judgment
    John 5:26-29 (HCSB)

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Matthew 12:31 it's important to back up and read the condemnation in context. Unforgivable sin simply explained:Committed by the religious leaders who attributed Jesus miracles to the power of Satan. Above explaination is the skinny,elaborate that it was unforgivable as God could do no more for them as a divine power had been manifested and STILL they rejected it. Now how many JW castaways have been falsely accused of this sin by the blasphemous Watchtower and killed themselves?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit