Now they "Excommunicate"??

by Lilycurly 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Hmmm...that sounds like a good explanation....as the word we use here is "exclu"--literally, Excluded, shut out. It does sound very "cult-like", althought I think Excommunicated sounds worst, and kind of funnier. When my mom told me that, I laughed and was like...Ex...Excommunicated?! Like the catholics! Bwaa-haha.lol

• oldflame
    oldflame

I have only heard (excommunication in the Mormon church. But in either event it is all the same meaning

• VM44
    VM44

During the "Bible" drama in this year's convention, didn't they have one of the first century greek characters use the word "disfellowshipped"? --VM44

• steve2
    steve2
    The term excommunicate is being used instead of disfellowship in the "Organization book". The change of wording has also been implemented into other languages.

Well this is a truly amazing revelation for me!

Does this perhaps represent the first time the Watchtower has moved away - albeit gradually - from a word they more or less coined for their own use ("Disfellowsip") and begun embracing a word from Christendom, including Catholicism ("Excommunicate")? Is their some reluctant mainstreaming going on here due to the bad press about the word disfellowship, whereas excommunicate has a more general level of acceptance regarding what other churches also do?

• VM44
    VM44

There must be some legal reason for the use of the word "excommunicate" The JWs have always used the word "disfellowship" or "disassociate" up to now.

Any change has to be for a reason favoring The Watchtower!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

For many years until relatively recently, a person could not "resign" from being a Jehvovah's Witness. The attitude towards one wanting to leave shown by The Watchtower (and other JWs) was "You're a Witness until we say you're not a Witness!"

A viewpoint that is rather fascist!

All the more reason for websites like Quotes to let people know what they will be getting into if they become a JW.

--VM44

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

this gives me an idea

any who are still hidden inside the BORG can try this....

did you see the new light on X, they are now calling it Y.....[make up something really silly]

and see if you can infect the BORG with a meme virus (^_^)

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    The term excommunicate is being used instead of disfellowship in the "Organization book".

My copy of the "Organized to do Jehovah's will" dated 2005, still has the topic"If the Decision is to Disfellowship" p153. The D word is used repeatedly in the text. It also says "expel" by way of explanation.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Sorry if I conveyed wrong information. In the Scandinavian edition I got hold of, the term used was excommunication, which is a new rendering in that languge. I presumed the same rendering was used in the original English edition, since the translated editions almost always abide closely to the English original.

• Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit