Now they "Excommunicate"??

by Lilycurly 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Some of you might had read that in one of my other post...my father, who is the only JW in the family, came up with the word "excommunicated" when talked about Disfellowshipement. Now, nobody here seems to have any idea what this is all about. He seems pretty certain that it's now the proper word to use. Maybe he read it? Heard it at the Hall?

I just want to know if some of you even heard of it mentionned? Maybe it's just here in Canada? I'm confused...it seems very Catholic, hope he isn't going crazy...;P

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I've only been out of the bOrg for a year, and I never heard the term "excommunicate" being used before I left. I was kicked out under the new announcement "[name] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." But when the elders and I talked about it, and when the appeal committee elders talked about it, they always used the word "disfellowshipped". That was only a few months back.

Some JW's go into "diplomatic mode" when speaking with non-JW's, saying "ministry" instead of "field service" and "services" instead of "meetings". Some even call the Kingdom Hall a "church". Maybe your father was speaking in non-JW lingo to you?

Dave

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

LilyCurly,

I'm a Canuck too. As far as I know, AlmostAtheist is right. They aren't using "excommunicated" among themselves or in their material when talking about their own. (Unless I've missed something recently in a WT- Let's just say, I'm not its most avid reader).

I did find this instance though:

from the w86 4/1 p. 30

Questions From Readers

·

Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ?

But like AA said, its usually used when talking with non-jws so that they understand. Almost always they've used the word in their publications when talking about what other religious groups do.

• Cordelia
    Cordelia

i only got dfed 6 months ago but am still at most meetings and they definately arent using it in england x

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Well, he came up with that just last week, I thought it really might be new...also, I don't know why he would say that to either me and my mom, because we know full well the JW wording, we've been in an baptized for years. And now when we talk to him about DF, he corrects us by saying it's excommunicated now.

Could it be some kind of legal measure so that it doesn't sound like some cult rejecting it's former members...to be more more like mainstream religions?

• defd
    defd

We do say something different now, when the announcement is made concerning a disfellowshipping. Would you like to know what it is?

• lawrence
    lawrence

We know Defd -

The Brooklyn Inquisition has met and has determined _____ to be unfit to sell our line of fairy tale books and fantasy magazines.

• defd
    defd

not even close lawrence

• Chia
    Chia

Yeah, (blank) is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Just because people stop going to meetings doesn't mean they're no longer up on the lingo.

Edited to add: LOL @ Lawrence.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I sincerely don't care what they say in front of everyone, it's irrelevent, because most of the time, they simply say so and so in no longer a JW, making everyone think that they have become some kind or rebel, aweful person. And it's the same wether the person as killed her own mother or just had a puff o' cigarette.

"The Brooklyn inquisition" one though...makes a lot of sense to me.lol You should suggest it!;P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit