I think those of us who leave are special in many ways

by JustTickledPink 18 Replies latest jw friends

• feelinglost
    feelinglost

Actually Def'd, you missed the difference in the original comment. It had nothing to do with Matthew. You missed the key words:

Whereas I am happily yacking away about the improvements in my life, college, job, etc... happy marriage, going on vacation ... blah blah blah.

She says how she's still married but unhappily but she is waiting on the 'new system' and sorta chatters on about how 'bad' this system is getting, etc.

Not to mention the fact that since we have all come from being Witnesses, we have at some point obviously taken "note" because at one time we all believed what you unfortunately still believe.

But that scripture is interesting, because witnesses do all of those things also. But I didn't catch the part where it said there was something wrong with "happily" doing those things vs. "unhappily." Must have been slipped into one of the Watchtower's, something like how the generation change was.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    It's much easier to just plod along with the rest of them and listen and be 'obedient' but it's much more difficult to question things, make up your own mind, and actually ACT on it.

Absolutely. Especially when the consequences of acting are so severe as they are in the WT.

I also tend to feel that the JW's constant focusing on the 'horrible' state of the world and how terrible all worldly people are, is bad for one's mental health. Constant negativity is never a good thing, and imputing bad motives to the rest of the world constantly has got to do something to one's mind, imho.

GGG

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I also tend to feel that the JW's constant focusing on the 'horrible' state of the world and how terrible all worldly people are, is bad for one's mental health. Constant negativity is never a good thing, and imputing bad motives to the rest of the world constantly has got to do something to one's mind

Me and the wife had a heated discussion about this very thing. It had to do with her and another JW scoffing at other activities other religious organizations allow on their premises. I made the statement, rather emphatically, that as long as they weren''t turning their place of worship into a commercial enterprise as Jesus denounced in his day...what was the problem?

Her answer,"they should only be used to get religious instruction, why are they doing all these other things". I asked her to show me inside the Bible where this was mandated. When she couldn't and was forced to realizt that she jsut felt that way because that's the way the WT does things, she turned to "U b persecutin me" mode.

I've found that JWs just can't wrap their heads around other religious organizations doing positive things for it's members that the WTS is glaringly not. Whenever anyone around them starts talking about the good that other religions are doing, the always pull out the "well, they don't have the truth" card to placate themselves.

I don't know if all that anticipation of negative things impacts their minds or not, but, I know it does impact mine and I said as such. I get so tired of hearing from her that basically, everything everyone else does is motives are under suspect........except the WTS.

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

It's obvious you still feel very strongly about the WT org. This board welcomes all opinions, but since it is an exjw board, aren't you just wasting time better spent for you on study and service?

• Es
    Es

Your so right, it takes guts to walk away from something we have known all our life....and only a select few can do it. We are the better people here, we are the strong ones

es

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I also feel very strongly that we (ex-jw’s) are a special group. Unless you have been in a similar situation you cannot appreciate the freedom one feels when the chains are broken. I’ve talked to co-workers at times regarding the WTBTS’s doctrinal changes and they just look at me like “so what”. They obviously have no concept of what its like to have every aspect of your life controlled by the FDSC.

• kazar
    kazar

I am happy we're free, too!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

JTP,

It reminded me how the people who actually wake up and walk away are very different. We are a special group. We aren't living in fear anymore, it takes a lot of courage to think something different from your family and friends and make a decision to live your own life and live your own truth. It's much easier to just plod along with the rest of them and listen and be 'obedient' but it's much more difficult to question things, make up your own mind, and actually ACT on it.

I like this! I've always felt "different" all of my life, but I never thought it was "special". Thanks for giving me new perspective!

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Welcome back JTP! missed you. Nice, positive post too!

We`re you home last week when we had the storm of the coast??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit