I think those of us who leave are special in many ways

by JustTickledPink 18 Replies latest jw friends

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I had the opportunity to have lunch with an old JW friend of mine recently. It was quite surreal. I have forgotten the absolute depression and control they feel.

Whereas I am happily yacking away about the improvements in my life, college, job, etc... happy marriage, going on vacation ... blah blah blah.

She says how she's still married but unhappily but she is waiting on the 'new system' and sorta chatters on about how 'bad' this system is getting, etc.

It reminded me how the people who actually wake up and walk away are very different. We are a special group. We aren't living in fear anymore, it takes a lot of courage to think something different from your family and friends and make a decision to live your own life and live your own truth. It's much easier to just plod along with the rest of them and listen and be 'obedient' but it's much more difficult to question things, make up your own mind, and actually ACT on it.

I thought about how Christopher Columbus was convinced he could sail aROUND the world when everyone thought it was flat....... how brave he was to think something different than his peers. Beliefs are just that, a set of beliefs.... to change a set of beliefs takes a lot of courage.

Anyways....... I'm just so happy and proud to be free whatever the costs have been.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

My mommy tells me I'm special!

You're right, I love not being afraid of tomorrow anymore!

Good to see you on JTP! You've been missed.

Kwin

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

School has been kicking my butt but I check in to read when I can.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

In a chatroom a jw once asked me if I was afraid to die at armaggedon because I no longer believed in the fds or the doctrine of the watchtower. I told her no, I dont live with that kind of fear anymore.

• Honesty
    Honesty

You're right, I love not being afraid of tomorrow anymore!

That was so well put!!

It is such a relief not to be afraid of death, Armageddon or incurring the wrath of a book publishing company if you don't meet all their requirements for salvation.

• defd
    defd

I had the opportunity to have lunch with an old JW friend of mine recently. It was quite surreal. I have forgotten the absolute depression and control they feel.

Whereas I am happily yacking away about the improvements in my life, college, job, etc... happy marriage, going on vacation ... blah blah blah.

Those words brought to my mind the words of Jesus at Matthew 24:37-39; For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marraige, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

How true JTP. A Dub will tell you that sticking with the organizations "high moral standards" is difficult and that "enduring to the end" is tough, but having the courage to challenge belief's and take our lives where ever that may lead takes way more character and can be much more difficult.

The happy side effect is peace of mind that was never guaranteed when we began honestly looking at all the facts and took the blinders off.

GBL

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

It does seem that whenever having convos w/ other JWs the convo is usually about the same ol' stuff. "we can't wait till the new system" and complaining about everything and how its cause of satan not because of anything we did. And gossiping about how others aren't going to the meetings and speculation of what happened to them. Then patting yourself on the back for hours in service etc. I love it when they talk about how loving and forgiving Jesus and Jehovah are but yet.. when I worked hard at becoming reinstated to have a 'clean' slate and was still shunned and kids were told i was still 'bad association'. They have this ' I am better then everyone else' attitude. I feel SPECIAL now because I don't have to feel forced to attend a meeting and listen to liars and pretenders. I feel SPECIAL now that I can learn about things without guilt of betrayel.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Funny how when I left the "world" to become a Dubby...no one did much of anything...cept roll their eyes and feel sorry for me.

I was so PROUD to suffer for "righteousness sake"....ugh

When I quit the Dubbies (actually they quit me)...all hell broke loose...it's worse than the fuckin Mob.

The "collective" shat themselves all at once...

I guess if I was hard enough to stand on my own and join the damn cult...I'm strong enough to leave...which I've done....

u/d

• JustTickledPink

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit