Aren't we great? JW's lead the way at the Astrodome

by Bonnie_Clyde 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Within minutes, the brothers had the PA systems going, and an announcement was made for all Jehovah's Witnesses in the facility to gather at a specific location, and within thirty minutes, all that were there at that time were accounted for, gathered up, comforted, and on their way to homes that were
    providing lodging and comfort for them.

As they loaded the families and friends into vans provided by the friends, the brothers got a charge out of hearing the PA system crackling with messages and direction as the other groups followed their example.
    Thirty minutes!! How organized Jehovah's people are, and how fortunate that we are used to following directions from brothers in charge !! And what a reminder for all of us to follow directions from the brothers at times like these!
    Thanks for all the updates you are sending to us regarding the friends from the Gulf coast area. One name that you had mentioned and forwarded email information from, was Sister Mary Ritter. I recognized her name because she had studied with Martha Gonzalez' mother when she lived in , and so I was glad to be able to pass the information on that she was safe. (But she had already called Martha's mom by the time I could reach Martha, so I was pleased about that!!)

With Christian love,
    Joyce and Chuck

Joyce and Chuck Guidali are/were friends of mine in the same Knoxville cong. before I moved to Walland, TN. Chuck used to be an elder but is known for supervising construction on buildings for Babylon The Great and that has probably impacted his standing with the WTBTS. I really like them both and sincerely wish to believe they are just passing along information without checking the facts. I don't believe for a second that the different denominations represented in the Astrodome assembled according to religious affiliations. I also know Martha Gonzales and her mother (Jean Baxter) who is, I pray, still not a JW. Martha's brother, Bruce and I were room mates for several years before he married a sister. I think highly of both of them and their families but realise that they are only repeating what they have been told. I may have some amateur audio and video from New Orleans posted in a few days/weeks that could either verify or refute the WT claims that the JW's were refused entrance into shelters which was what the elders were told in some cases..

• undercover
    undercover

The more I think on it, the more I'm torn on whether to applaud the WTS in relief efforts or not.

Yes, they came together to help fellow believers and I'm sure the brothers are grateful for the help. That's a good thing.

But...

What if the Catholic Church went in and and made an announcement for all Catholics to meet in the corner so they can be helped by the Catholic Church...non-Catholics need not bother showing up.

What if the NAACP went in and made an announcement for all black people to meet in the corner so they can be helped by the NAACP...non-blacks need not bother showing up.

What if (enter your favorite political party) went in and made an announcement that all (enter fav political party members) meet in the corner so they can be helped by their respective parties...non-members need not bother showing up.

The JWs talk a good story about being a brotherhood and united and all that during good times and I would agree that they do show a united front that a lot of other churches and groups rarely show. But when the chips are down, during disasters and other troubles, normal people, who might be staunch Republican or devout Catholic or strong advocate of some other group put those differances aside and come together for the common good. It doesn't matter the race, the religion, the politics; they are all people and need help. That comes first. The WTS, on the other hand, sticks to that cultish brotherhood and does only for them and theirs. All others are disregarded and ignored. If, and only if, they have some leftovers do they share with non-JWs.

I found the one letter intersting about the brothers who were alllowed in did an assesement on Kingdom Halls. Who cares? Those are empty buildings. Why not assess where the friends lived and if any are still trapped in their homes. The whole story of 20 some KHs being damaged/destroyed doesn't mean shit when a whole city has been wiped out. Forget the buildings and help the people.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

In the New Testament, Jesus tells us to love him first, and then love our neighbors as ourselves. That is his first, and second, and ONLY laws.

If the JW's were following Christ's directive, they would't *care* if the other people were Witnesses or not... they would just help them, right? It seems to me that they only care about themselves, and do not care about those people outside themselves.

CG

• heathen
    heathen

The WTBTS feels it loves it's neighbor enough by warning them of impending doom. I can't blame them anyway as I wouldn't want just anybody in my home anyway either.But you are right, say if brother masturbator was found out needing a hand he would be shunned and left adrift in new orleans .

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I found the one letter intersting about the brothers who were alllowed in did an assesement on Kingdom Halls. Who cares? Those are empty buildings. Why not assess where the friends lived and if any are still trapped in their homes. The whole story of 20 some KHs being damaged/destroyed doesn't mean shit when a whole city has been wiped out.

Well if my primary business is associated with publishing and real estate, my first concern would be to see if my book/magazine distribution centers were destroyed or not. Then I would check on my volunteer labor force to find out how I could get them back to distributing my materials.

Remember, look at it from the perspective of running a business, and everything the WTS does makes sense....most of the time.

• wiegel
    wiegel

Can't you just see Jesus helping out only his twelve in a time of disaster? In any time? And yes, I believe the story, but as most JW stories go, it is only "part" of the whole story. The part that makes them feel good and feel superior. What a tiny world they live in. Sad......

• gdt
    gdt

Such cynicism and bad-will shown surely is not the spirit of care and warmth, I am ashamed I took time to read most (but not all) the replies on this subject. Can it not be possible to 'give credit where it is due'?

Constant denigration of your former friends, like knifing them in the back, is hardly a way of receiving commendation, or encouraging anyone to think the way you (most here) seem to. Thanks Mulan for some sincerity and decency, Very nice. As to the sarcasm and the criticism, what could you or can you and myself do that is better and more beneficial than to sit down and winge?

Just my reaction to this group's words. I am happy to have your condemnation, or silence.

gdt.

• wiegel
    wiegel

Interesting note from TV the other night. Whilst trying to sort out what went awry in rendering aid to the victims, it has been noted that the BEST and most EFFICIENT help is coming from religious groups. They did not hilight one or the other, but the help provided by individual religious groups was commended. So, the model is effective and the borg doesn't really stand out in this regard - oh, except that they are the only ones with the truth, that's a given..............ooops trudy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit