TESTING the results of two different ways of thinking

by Terry 172 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    BTW, I think Aristotle got it wrong most of the time! What say thou?

You mean the heavy stone DOESN'T fall faster than the lighter stone??? I'm shocked!!

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry, you help me think.

Now are you trying to have it BOTH WAYS?

I don't help people but, I help you?

Seriously though, I read what you posted about your dad and I extend my commiserations to you. I don't want to ease into the role of a father figure substitute, however. God knows I'm old enough!

I'm just another plain OLD average guy with holes in his underwear and too much ear-hair. My faults stems from being poorly assembled when I came from the factory. Blame Santa's damned elves!

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    To some of us, it appears that your fine posts are written from the position of "O Omniscient One," contain dogmatic statements and an emotional charge. (Example: "Bullshit!!")

Is it possible that your appreciation of science has taken on a “passion” that is counterproductive?

The manner in which I express myself lends to that impression.

I need to falter more and stumble for words and show myself a flawed, tragic sort of anti-hero perhaps

Seriously, when I was a teenager I had an awfully inept vocabulary and spoke with a horrid Texas accent. My grammar was pathetic and my confidence next to none. I embarked on a self-repair program of learning 16 new vocabulary words a day and I tried to read difficult but well-written books. I re-read Seven Pillars of Wisdom about 50 times. My point? My sense of self-expression and confidence in asserting my positions are the result of hacking my way toward competency over a long and hard road.

I think you are confusing my achievements with hubris.

I possess a pretty accurate understanding of my own failings and foibles, I assure you.

My passion is really pretty human. I'm not a scientist. A lot of scientists I've observed are narrow-minded nerds. They can't stretch beyond a chimney-hole view of the universe.

The remedy, in my opinion, is diversity of reading material and the willingness to listen (without failing to challenge).

That's about it.

T.

• Pole
    Pole

:You mean the heavy stone DOESN'T fall faster than the lighter stone??? I'm shocked!!

Nope, how about Aristotle's genus-differentia categorization scheme? How about a prototype-based one instead? What do y' think? If I'm hijacking the thread now, just tell me.

Pole

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Someone said they haven't seen Terry help anyone in a crisis. I haven't seen Terry buy food either... oh my God!!! He doesn't even eat!.... OR this forum is only a corner of his life, and there may possibly be other aspects of his life, in which he may indeed perform other functions such as help people, and eat.

The Deepak Chopra fellow - some have suggested that because he is a qualified surgeon, then his mystic methods must be valid. However a hint has been provided to counter this in that proponents of his have pointed out that he has made millions of dollars selling books and so forth about his crackpot methods. It certainly sounds at though he's found a convenient cash-cow more lucrative then 'real' medicine.

• new light
    new light

Tetrapod: How could I possibly prove to you materially my claims that exist in the world of thought? Even if the thoughts led to a material end that could be measured and examined in a lab, the source of said thoughts would still be in question. Personal experience is the only guide here, and I can't help but think that abject materialists choose to see the world the way they do.

I don't claim to be special or "chosen" in any way. I don't attend religious services or read any literature that would sway my opinion on this matter. I don't believe in or care about an afterlife. I simply was in a tough spot in life and decided "What the hay, I'll give it a shot" and I prayed. Not for a miracle or some sign of god's existence, just for a little strength and peace of mind and, lo and behold, I got it, and I continue to receive benefits, not in a material way (of course I don't ask), but in the way of insights that never would have occurred to me otherwise. I'm sure you're having a good laugh, as I would have not too long ago, but that's your right.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

new light,

and I can't help but think that abject materialists

abject? i hope you meant "object". LOL.

I'm sure you're having a good laugh, as I would have not too long ago, but that's your right.

no, i'm not laughing, new light. and what can i say? when someone tells me their experiences are subjective, there is not much more to add.

TS

• Quentin
    Quentin

Dam keyboard, wants to post before I can type a word, thus the edit.....

Someone said they haven't seen Terry help anyone in a crisis...Jeffro...

Yeah J that was said. Terry is being modest. What he doesn't do is blow the horn and beat the drum about it. Tell you one thing reading JWD for six months would be equal to a four year college degree. Top that "Awake!".

• Terry
    Terry
    Nope, how about Aristotle's genus-differentia categorization scheme? How about a prototype-based one instead? What do y' think? If I'm hijacking the thread now, just tell me.

Pole

I was just sitting here thinking (I know; beginner's luck!) about Aristotle and considering when he lived and all. When was it? If memory serves it was from 383-322 B.C.E. right? Anyway, he is one of my champions I admire very much. No, he wasn't at all perfect and some of his ideas are astonishingly silly in light of today's data. (The brain's function is to cool the body, for example.)

But, Lord! What an amazing mind he had; a monster intellect. I'm tempted to start a new thread just covering a lot of his insights and philosophy. He was sensible and Plato wasn't; that is my touchstone of admiration. His influence (as I mentioned in another topic of mine that went awry) led the West in a more rational direction than the East because of his invention of Logic and using reality as an ostensible referent.

If I had a choice between meeting Adam, Abraham, Isaac, David or Solomon OR Aristotle; I'd pick Aristotle in a heartbeat. Wouldn't a day's conversation with him be exciting? I rather think so!

But, the flaw with Aristotle and Greek philosophy chiefly is this. They refused to TEST by experiment their theories. That was hard-headed of them and prolonged the fallacies they wrought. But, it was considered not sporting, as it were, to be practical about achieving accuracy in cogitation. It was all to be done without hands, you might say. Tsk tsk.

T.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry is being modest.

Me?

Heck no. I'm a JW whisperer!

T.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit