Five people killed by New Orleans police !

by Simon 43 Replies latest social current

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2
    Yes, just like the London police did a month or two ago after the bombings set everyone on edge.

ahhh...Nina..thank you for stating that.

I hope they can protect the contractors. What are these thugs thinking? Who the hell would do something like this, people that have come to repair their city???

I hope the ones that lived are prosecuted to the full extent of the law if this story is accurate...which I believe it is. There is no good reason for this kind of behavior.

I have read and heard about a lot of the New Orleans police turning in their badges too, but it seems to be after they have hung in there a long time. I don't think any big city is an easy place to be an officer, under normal circumstances. I know they have not been perfect, but I think the officers and the fire firghters, and emts, and others that hung around and did their jobs in their home towns should get kudos when all is said and done. It would have been very easy for them to hide until the worst of this was over...but they have not.

• Valis
    Valis

The most irritating thing is that some have no patience and are quick to ask us stupid ass questions we can't answer..especially when we or they do not know all the facts...dumb ass people start in thinking the cops or the corps are shooting contractors and say "What is your society doing!!!!!!!!!!??????????" With some psuedo bleeding heart asshole agenda, but it doesn't even take hours to refute suck idiocy, to wit they have no retort or even to say "Sorry, once again I am sorry for bringing something up which was not the case..."....I may have been wrong...DUH goddamit!

IMO shoot all the gun toting assholes who want to be ugly to the contractors and relief workers...they will be less we have to deal with come the next disaster.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Amen, to that Valis....well said...thank you for saying it.

• JW83
    JW83

IMO, gun-toting = assholes

• Valis
    Valis
    IMO, gun-toting = assholes

I agree..the gun toting should be focused on saving people's businesses and restoring order not some shitheels popping off rounds or perpetrating murder or hooting at people or orgs who want to help....the people engaged in looting other than food/water should be shot..then they can fall down in the stagnant water and recieve the horrid disease ridden prize they so richly deserve.

• Valis
    Valis
    or perpetrating murder or hooting at people or orgs who want to help....

I would just like to make sure everyone knows I am not an Owl hater..

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    I hope they can protect the contractors. What are these thugs thinking? Who the hell would do something like this, people that have come to repair their city???

I hope they can protect them too. My husband will be one of those workers, likely leaving at a moments notice within the next week or two.

I've posted about this in other threads, but my husband does post disaster structural evaulation with a volunteer group of other professionals. By Tuesday night, the FEMA contact he's worked with over the years was on our phone by 11 PM telling him to be ready to head out to the gulf coast at any time. Over the several days now there have been numerous emails flying about the scope of the damage and the timeline for the work they'll do (they evaluate post-disaster structural integrity and decide which structures must be razed, which are habitable, which need rebuilding, etc). In the past, when he's gone to areas that have suffered tornadic, earthquake or hurricane activity he has generally been gone for about 2 weeks. This time, due to the sheer size of the affected area and the fact that a major metropolitan area is involved, they first said he could be gone for three months doing just the first 'shift' of the work that needs to be done. Now they're saying that it may be three to five months. And on top of environmental and structural hazards, now I've got to worry about him being mowed down by jackasses with an attitude.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    I say hoo-yah! Take notice thugs, if you're a punk and you want to act out Grand Theft Auto in N.O. you're gonna get shot and killed.

I agree. As many of you know I live in Shreveport/Bossier in Louisiana and there are 1000's of NewOrleans evacuees here.

On the local news the main theme was how afraid the local people (both whites and blacks) are scared of what might happen if the thugs come our way , as I sure there will be some.

There were other interviews of locals who said they are not going to tolerate any bad behavior here. People are stocking up on bullets , that is scarey. I have already heard stories from a couple of my friends and a Walmart worker who are telling things some of the evacuees are doing,,,,some are stealing, one lady was trying to steal jewelry at Walmart, but the police let her go. I hope that things are kept under control, I would hate to be even more afraid than I am already , but ya just got to be cautious .

• ISP
    ISP

New Orleans police kill looters in shoot-out

Monday September 5, 02:27 AM

• Email page
    • IM Page
    • Print page

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - New Orleans police killed four looters who had opened fire on them on Sunday as rescue teams scoured homes and toxic waters flooding streets to find survivors and recover thousands of bloated corpses.

A fifth looter was in critical condition but no more details were available about the incident in a city where authorities are slowly regaining control after a wave of looting,

Advertisement
    murders and rapes in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"Five men who were looting exchanged gunfire with police. The officers engaged the looters when they were fired upon," said New Orleans superintendent of police, Steven Nichols.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers contractors working on a levee breach were fired on by gunmen but no one was hurt, said the Corps' Mike Rogers. It was not clear if the two incidents were connected.

Six days after Katrina ripped up the Gulf Coast and sent flood waters pouring into New Orleans, no one knows how many people were killed, but government officials say the number is in the thousands.

"When we remove the water from New Orleans, we're going to uncover people who died hiding in houses, who got caught by the flood, people whose remains will be found in the street," Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said. "It is going to be about as ugly a scene as you can imagine."

Under fire for its slow response to the flooding, the Bush administration tried to save face on Sunday by sending top officials down to the disaster zone and pledging to do whatever it takes to clean up New Orleans and help its refugees.

President George W. Bush was to visit relief efforts in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and Poplarville, Mississippi, on Monday -- his second trip to the devastated region in less than a week.

Battered and sickened survivors made no attempt to disguise their anger: "We have been abandoned by our own country," Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish just south of New Orleans, told NBC's Meet the Press.

"For God sakes, shut up and send somebody," a tearful and anguished Broussard said of promises not kept by Washington, adding that "bureaucracy has committed murder" in New Orleans.

NIGHTMARE CONFLUENCE

But in a sign that a return to normality, while still far off, was at least a possibility, lights began to go back on in parts of the beleaguered city, as Electric company Entergy Corp. started to restore power.

After a nightmare confluence of natural disaster and political ineptitude that al Qaeda-linked Web sites called the "wrath of God" striking America, National Guard troops and U.S. marshals patrolled streets stricken in the days after the hurricane by anarchic violence and looting.

Coast Guard helicopters hovered over devastated neighbourhoods and continued to pluck survivors from roofs. Some brave residents joined the rescue efforts and spoke of horrors in the deep and muddy waters.

In New Orleans' notoriously poor 9th district, police launched search missions with small speed boats to find both the living and the dead.

The tips of roofs poked out from the water, which bubbled from burst gas mains, and, in one spot, a swelling corpse floated on flood waters. Law enforcement officials advised reporters not to go close.

"It's about to pop at any minute. And you don't want to be there when that happens," one officer said.

Officials said they had assembled facilities capable of handling 1,000 bodies immediately and were expanding them.

Dr. Louis Cataldie, Louisiana's emergency response medical director, declined to speculate on how high the death toll might go. "It's not about numbers," she said. "Each death is enough. This is horrific."

Louisiana's official death toll stood at just 59 on Sunday but officials said it would rise dramatically.

While the city's human population suffered enormously, its famous Audubon Zoo managed to take good care of its charges. Only three of its 1,400 animals died, officials said, adding that they had planned for years for a catastrophic storm.

Except for rescue workers and scattered groups of people, streets in the once-vibrant capital of jazz and good times were all but abandoned after the mass exodus of hundreds of thousands of refugees into neighbouring Texas and other states.

Government and emergency officials insisted it was not the right time to assign blame for botched rescue efforts, and instead warned of challenges ahead.

"We're going to have to go house to house in this city. We're going to have to check every single place to find people who may be alive and in need of assistance," Chertoff said.

EMERGENCY SERVICES

He said unsanitary conditions meant emergency services would not allow residents to stay in their homes while flooded areas were pumped out.

In a rare admission of error, Bush conceded the relief efforts were unacceptable, and this weekend ordered 7,200 extra active-duty troops to the disaster zone.

Newsweek reported that former Louisiana Democratic Senator John Breaux, whom it called a close ally of Bush, rejected the president's claim that nobody anticipated the failure of New Orleans' levees, saying the two talked about it last year.

Most of Katrina's victims were black and poor, and some black leaders have said the federal government would have moved much more quickly if rich, white people were suffering.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice rejected the claim on a tour of Mobile, Alabama. "Nobody, especially the president, would have left people unattended on the basis of race."

But it looked different from the disaster zone.

"For those who were alone in the water, alone on the roof, you might ask 'What did we do to deserve this?'" Rev. Lowell Case told his congregation at St. Francis Xavier Church in Baton Rouge. "A lot of us think being black may have had something to do with it, being poor and black in New Orleans."

U.S. Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld toured a medical facility at New Orleans' international airport. He spoke and shook hands with military and rescue officials but walked right by a dozen refugees lying on stretchers just feet away from him, most of them extremely sick or handicapped.

A total of 54,000 military personnel are now committed to relief efforts, including around 40,000 National Guard.

U.S. oil refineries in the Gulf area and offshore oil and gas platforms were slowly recovering from Katrina's impact, which has pushed gasoline prices to more than $3 a gallon.

(Additional reporting by Erwin Seba, Paul Simao and Jim Loney in Baton Rouge, Adam Tanner in Houston, Matt Daily in Biloxi, Steve Holland, Charles Aldinger, John Whitesides and Eric Walsh in Washington)

• ISP
    ISP

Looks like those killed were looters.........not necessarily attacking construction workers.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit