Why are there more JWs on Social Security Beneifits than any other Religion

by MARTINLEYSHON 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Steve2:

It depends on whether you mean the word statistic in a literal number-sense (e.g., I had 10 visits to my doctor in the past year) or in a wider sense that is used in the media (e.g., here's an off the cuff example, my friend Fred is three times more likely than me to go exercising during the week). There are other uses of the word statistic, as you'll see in the dictionary. Both the literal number-based one and the other ones are acceptable among statisticians, as any elementary statistics book will show. By the way, I never introduced the word statistic into this discussion - it may have been an earlier poster. My response simply said I'm awaiting corroboration of the initiating posters claim that JWs use social security more than members of other religions.

By statistics I meant "a table of information ... which sets out the different religious groups and their ratio of receiving social security or welfare benefits" in contrast to the extremely specific "more" as stated in the original post.

• steve2
    steve2
    By statistics I meant "a table of information ... which sets out the different religious groups and their ratio of receiving social security or welfare benefits" in contrast to the extremely specific "more" as stated in the original post.

I see what you mean and agree! Let's see if the initiating poster or anyone else can oblige.

• Room 215
    Room 215

I don't know about the validity of your statistics, but it is a fact that the JWs make a virtue out of financial irresponsibility.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I guess if there was any information supporting this statement it would have appeared by now. Figures. The only numbers I've ever seen related to mediam income and home ownership and the Witnesses didn't do too bad. Not at the top, but not at the bottom either.

• steve2
    steve2

Here's a reprint of what the initiating post on this thread actually stated:

On a per capita ratio JWs ethos for claiming off the state is higher than any other religion. Does anyone have the answer? I remember in the late 80s the borg came out with an article "Uses and abuses of the welfare system"

Can anyone tell me why JWs as a whole are so shy of making a success of themselves within the work/business enviroment?

ML

Interestingly, ML has not yet responded to repeated requests for corroborative evidence of his claims and the "silence" is revealing.

I have no interest per se in defending the Watchtower, but it annoys me when people make claims about this organisation that they cannot subsequently back up. One of the positive things about my no longer being a JW is freedom to check things out without fear of reprisal.

So again, ML, the request goes out - but perhaps blunter this time - put out the evidence for your claim or remain silent!

• upside/down
    upside/down
    it is a fact that the JWs make a virtue out of financial irresponsibility.

OMG...how succinct, and TRUE!

u/d

• rebel8
    rebel8

"Welfare" was created by the same law (the Social Security Act) that created old age and disability benefits. That is why it's not technically inaccurate to lump them into the same category of "Social Security benefits".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Perhaps this thread should be named "Are there more JWs on Social Security Beneifits than any other Religion?"

No evidence has actually been given for the alleged "more", and if there are, the answers are obvious anyway.

Is there a point to this thread apart from hackle-raising?

• upside/down
    upside/down

Semantics aside... I know hardly any Dub that wouldn't LOVE to be on the dole...it is literally like the LOTTERY to them.

Depression seems to be the number one "reason" for applying too...gee imagine that...

Despite the myriad of "phantom" illness that many Dubs suffer (the result of being in a high-control environment)...

What a sorry ass bunch...can't believe they sucked me in...

u/d

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I found that most JWs work, but In my 20 years as a dub I only met 3 JW men who had a good work ethic. And I worked with many. Most seemed to be concerned with ways to cut corners.

I knew one elder "handyman" who was sued many times for his shoddy workmanship. My ex threw him out of the house once (he was doing work for my mom, not us). We were living there temporarily because I was out of work due to an injury. He showed up 3 hours late do do some work, and my mom, tired of waiting, went shopping. He finally showed up, but my wife felt it was inappropriate for him to be alone in the house with her unchaparoned. When she told him this an argument ensued, and she threw him out. Then he tried to bill me $100 for that! I phoned him and told him I'd be happy to ram the invoice up his ass but that's all he'd ever get out of me. I also warned him to never go near my wife again, or there would be dire consequences for him.

I don't know what the statistics are for JW unemployment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were high. If the JWs I knew were anything to go by, it's easy to see why no one in their right mind would hire one. They are the most stupid and incompetent people I've ever known, and when confronted with their incopetence they become belligerent.

Let them worship their f*cked up watchtower and stay the hell out of the real world! Maybe we should be glad to pay them to stay out of the workforce.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit