Why are there more JWs on Social Security Beneifits than any other Religion

by MARTINLEYSHON 40 Replies latest jw friends

• MARTINLEYSHON
    MARTINLEYSHON

On a per capita ratio JWs ethos for claiming off the state is higher than any other religion. Does anyone have the answer? I remember in the late 80s the borg came out with an article "Uses and abuses of the welfare system"

Can anyone tell me why JWs as a whole are so shy of making a success of themselves within the work/business enviroment?

ML

• JH
    JH

I don't know about the JW jobless statistics, but if a religion discourages going to college or university, then they won't get good jobs, or no jobs at all.

And if they preach that the end is so close, who will go and get a good education?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Can you point me to where the statistic came from. I can believe it is true due to the lack of emphasis on education and careers, but would like to see the source.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The WTS discourages JWs from getting a good education and good jobs. The natural end result is a group of people with financial difficulties.

I'm sure Jehover will provide... in the form of public assistance.

• luna2
    luna2

I was thinking too that many that are brought into the religion are people who are ill in various ways (physically and mentally...as in depressed) and are attracted to a faith that says God is going to fix both them and the world SOON! So, you have quite a few coming in that have trouble working in the first place in addition to those that grew up in the borg and weren't encouraged to get the education and skills to obtain interesting, well-paid jobs.

There is also the constant pressure to "do more" in the troof and pioneer. Hard to do when you must work full time to support yourself or your family. If you can find a way to get money from the government mostly legitimately, some feel justified in doing that in order to work for Jehoover more. I mean, what difference does it make if you're ripping off a governmental system that is doomed anyway?

• damselfly
    damselfly

I'd like to see the statistics for one.

for two, if you are discouraged from getting an eduacation and a job that provides benifits, told there is no cause to get a retirement plan or an insurance policy to provide for your family if you die because armageddonn is just around the corner! what else can you do?

If you go after these things you will be seen as "not puttting God's kingdom first above al things"

The last I heard my parents have no savings, no retirement plan and no insurance.

I'm the black sheep of the family and they can't speak to me but I'm going to be the one supporting them when they're old. Because their religion hasn't given them an option.

Dams

• trevor
    trevor

On my mother side, my uncle has eight adult children, most are married with kids. Last time I checked every one of them was living off the state. My father has no relatives. When my parents were visiting they were making snide remarks about my working hard becauce I loved money!
    I pointed out that I personally did more work than all their relatives put together.
    I asked if they thought it was going to be that easy in the new world without worldly people supporting them? No reply. I asked if they thought it was bad Witness? Still no reply.

They don’t talk to me now. Any ideas why?

trevor

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I guess they don't have much to say... much like my parents.

• blondie
    blondie

I would like to know what facts you base your conclusions on.

SS benefits cover many things, people who have retired, spouses of people who retired but have died, physically disabled people, developmentally disabled people, etc.

Are you discussing people who have illegally applied for and are receiving SS benefits?

How do you have access to what is mostly confidential information. Is it national information or a few situations you have observed locally.

Blondie (not convinced)

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Though the statement sounds feasible for the reasons several others have already mentioned, I'd like to see source info. I'm willing to bet that IF that is true, then the Mormons come in a close second. I saw a documentary about them one time on tv, where they were cheating on their taxes and trying to be shady with the polygamy thing, so they had all these women with kids on welfare. (The show explained that since it was illegal to practice polygamy, they would marry them, but not report it to the state, no license, no records etc. Then when they had kids, by the records the women were unwed mothers, and they filed for welfare on the orders of the man.)Apparently they believed that since it was "only" a 'government of man' or 'worldly organization', it was ok to milk it for all it was worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit