Our New Orleans is gone.

by LyinEyes 34 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It was one place I'd have liked to have visited, if but for a day, for it's historical appeal (and beads ).

Another town might spring up from the remaining portions, but any sense of history would be surrounding those "bits", rather than anything else.

A couple of years ago I took a ride through old Miami, where they had renovated it to a 60's style look. It really wasn't the same.

You can't manufacture history and authenticity.

That having been said, how are they going to permanently house all those people?

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I, too, had hoped to go there one day...soak up some of the atmosphere, have a cup of chicory coffee and a beignet...I still wish I could go and help somehow...take food and water, clothes and toys, give some kind of comfort. Those poor devastated people

~Merry

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It seems almost crass to be bemoaning the loss of buildings and culture when so many human beings are suffering. This has turned even me into a avid viewer of Fox News on satelite tv and I salute their coverage.

But I too am among those who feel a deep sense of loss . The musical culture that New Orleans gave to the world is a precious gift that has lit up all of our lives. Can I join the "How much I wish I had visited it before" club?

However, assuming that it is rebuilt, it is up to the returning people to create again the culture and atmosphere.It seems that the downtown area is not irreparable.The people, businesses and musicians can come back and make it what it was. I believe that politically, the government will wish to rebuild and restore unless it is phisically impossible - otherwise they will look even worse than they do now.

I really do hope that none of our community has been lost, or lost someone or had damage in the wide area of the hurricane. Forgive me if I missed someones thread

http://www.detnews.com/2005/events/0509/02/E01-300907.htm

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Having seen the news on Fox and CNN, I was deeply saddened by the human tragedy of so many people. These ones have to rely on others who say that they understand the plight of ones, but are saying that from their comfy armchairs. There are a few individuals (Nagan being one of them) who have the right principles and are prepared to speak out (good for these ones) The unfortunate part that I see about this, is that the "Terrorists" know now, (if they didn't know before) where to bring about maximum damage to the whole city.

KT

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I too was saddened by the sight of all of those poor people and the conditions they are trying to survive under. It's bad enough to view the scenes of devastation, but the TV can't convey the smells - it must be awful.

I felt very angry that it was taking days to get the very basics to these people, and then I heard the UN Spokesman (Jans Egeland) say that they were ready to give any help required, but they had to wait to be ASKED by the US. The same sort of response came from the EU and a quite a few other countries. WHAT IS HAPPENING - IS THE US GOVERNMENT TRYING TO GO IT ALONE. Why don't they accept help from the other countries?

I too would have loved to visit New Orleans as I am coming to Texas (first time in the US for me) in Oct to visit my son.

Twink

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((Dede)))))))

I know it's hard to know it'll never be the same. The city had absolutely beautiful architecture and style. I loved the art vendors down in the FQ. I loved the smell of coffee down at Cafe Dumond. Chicory coffee - yum! And you practically breathed sugar powder in the air from all the beignets. Hmmm. I loved the kettle corn further down in the market area...the best I've ever had. I remember a funny little store down there for dog clothing...just for little dogs. www.chiwawagaga.com In the window, they had a tiny chihuahua that wore a shirt that said, "Does this make me look fat?" LOL And the clop clop clop sounds of horse and carriages as you walk down the streets. I used to imagine riding one back in the day with a big flouncy dress and parasol. I loved watching the cigar rollers at the cigar store. My camera battery died right when I went to take a picture of them at the end of our last trip. My plan was to go straight to that cigar store next time I went.

New Orleans isn't gone hon. We just need to keep it alive.

Andi

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I've always loved the culture of New Orleans and wanted to visit as long as I can remember. I had the opportunity in March and enjoyed every minute of it. It breaks my heart to know that this has happened to the city and all of its people.

The streetcars, Cafe Dumond, Jackson Square, Algiers Point, the Gumbo Shop, Brennan's, the Magnolia Mansion...all a part of my memories.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Our family went down to New Orleans quite frequently, sometimes on business, other times just because my Mom loved it so. Some of the best memories I have of her , where those of when we were on vacations. Leaving the busy hectic part of my Dad's business, the everyday grind of being a JW, she always was a different person away from home. Down in New Orleans she just came alive.

Billygoat, your description and others, is exactly what stands out in my mind too. Funny thing, the BEST memory I have was being in New Orleans for a convention. Well, I was a kids, I think it might have been 1982, not real sure, things run together for me way back then. Seems they had just released the My Book of Bible Stories.

We stayed in a hotel that had a glass elevator on the outside ,(actually it was enclosed but seemed on the outside) and I was terrified as a kid. It might have been this hotel that was in a circle, and you could look straight down the center of like a doughnut and I was afraid of heights.

After the sessions , my parents took us swimming and it seemed like a little beach area we went to.

I sure do hope they can perserve some of the historical areas so that it can give the people who want to rebuild something to hold on to, to go from.

So many I hear are not going back, I am sure it is too soon for them to know for sure what to do.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    So many I hear are not going back, I am sure it is too soon for them to know for sure what to do.

Considering how little is probably left, do you blame them? I know I'd feel completely overwhelmed and horrified. God help and bless everyone!

• trevor
    trevor
    God help and bless everyone!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit