Our New Orleans is gone.

by LyinEyes 34 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

After talking to many of the evacuees from New Orleans and watching all of the local coverage , interviews of surviors ,they are just thankful to be alive. They are also in deep despair over family members who they can not find, they don't know if they are alive or dead. Not to mention the ones they know are gone.

There are so many are just heartbroken that the home they knew is gone forever . Sure they can rebuild and make it better than it was in many ways.

But the old New Orleans the wonderful , beautiful parts,the jazz music, the Bourbon street vendors, these realities has been lost under the flood waters.

The NewOrleans culture is like no other,,,,,,,,that place , that town was known all over the world , especially for Mardi Gras.

I don't see how there can be a Mardi Gras there this year.

I think that is why for all American's, the City of New Orleans stood out because of it's rich culture. It was a " must see" for avid tourist.

Louisiana is in mourning right now for the lives lost, the destruction of beloved family homes, and for the time being ,,,,,not knowing if "home" will ever be home again.

• bem
    bem

((((((Dede)))))), Good to hear from you I have thought about you often the past few days, good to know you are okay.

I feel sad for the loss. Of the lives as well as the city.

BEM

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the French Quarter part is not underwater or at least has minimal water damage compared to the rest of the city.

Can anyone verify?

Regardless, it is incalculable what has been lost, both in human and historic terms. I visited N.O. a decade ago, and will cherish the memory of the "old city" as it will be now.

• Simon
    Simon

There were people on the radio yesterday questioning if it would or should be rebuilt - the cost will be astronomical and some massive engineering projects would be required to make it safe.

It was historic and home to many people, but built in a very bad place. Would rebuilding it there again be the wisest thing? Is it an option to rebuild somewhere else?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Very very sad.

• talesin
    talesin

Dede,

How sad. :( I have always wanted to visit NO, it is was a most beautiful city, and the character of the people!

(note,,, i had to go back and edit my post to cross out 'is' and replace it with 'was' ,,, it choked me up ... I'm so sorry for your loss, folks)

tal

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yes. It is too important a place, with so much culture and history for people. I doubt people would ever accept a replica built somewhere else.

The fact is, this planet is a living planet and many cities and places are dangerous to live. Seattle could go any day should Mount Hood erupt, San Francisco sits on a fault and can be devastated at any time, almost any city in Japan is vulnerable, along with certain Caribbean islands, Istanbul is incredibly at risk, monsoon flooding is common in southeast Asia, we all know what tsunamis can do in areas near undersea faults, tornados in the Midwest US, etc. etc.

The wise thing to do is: (1) Know the place and its dangers, (2) Make an informed decision whether you want to live there and accept the risk or live elsewhere, (3) Know how to prepare for, recognize the signs of, and survive whatever threat your area poses.

Moreover, the government could have done a way better job in protecting New Orleans. It's not as if the city cannot be protected. Levees designed for category 5 hurricanes could have been built but they were not. The agencies involved did not deem it a high enough priority. I have no doubt that when New Orleans is rebuilt, there will be nothing acceptable less than a fully adequate system not just built up to the level of a category 5 but exceeding it in strength and effectiveness (just as high rises and bridges can withstand much more than they are designed for).

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

They are also in deep despair over family members who they cannot find, they don't know if they are alive or dead. Not to mention the ones they know are gone.

Thanks for sharing this. What an awful feeling this must be for the people who have suffered such loss.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, I have a colleague at Tulane University I've been thinking a lot of....I sent him an email to see if he's okay but I was doubtful it would get through and true enough it was bounced back (no server).

I hope he's okay.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

NO is/was one of the few places in the USA that I would like to visit.

My heart goes out the people of NO.

I was on an island earlier this year when it was hit by a hurricane. At least, on an Island, you are above sea level, so you can start the cleanup and get on with your lives the next day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit