Katrina Aftermath - whatever happened to personal responsibility?

by EscapedLifer1 54 Replies latest social current

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    When someone is in danger of dying, imo, you don't stop to ask how they earned their living and if they were worth assistance in time of disaster.

I agree. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the suffering we've seen, something needs to be done about it. In the name of humanity, you give your time, your cash, your resources and your sweat to help those who are in need and rebuild what has been destroyed.

But that does not mean that the deeper, larger issues behind the condition that thousands found themselves in should be ignored or overlooked in the same spirit. The issues surrounding the cycle of povrty in this nation and the responsibility of all of the players involved--both the victims and those who are charged with coming to their aid--needs to be shouldered by each. The actions of the government (every level from local to federal) will continue to be examined and held accountable for their shortcomings in this situation, but so must the victims own up to the responsibility they had in the situation of their lives.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    but so must the victims own up to the responsibility they had in the situation of their lives.

I don't think right now is the time to pin people to wall for their level of poverty. Lots of cities have citizens of every economic level who don't drive and wouldn't be able to get out of the city quickly in case of an emergency. There are tourists trapped in NOLA.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    I don't think right now is the time to pin people to wall for their level of poverty. Lots of cities have citizens of every economic level ;who don't drive and wouldn't be able to get out of the city quickly in case of an emergency.

Again, I agree that that it's not the time to start 'pinning people to the wall' about it, but I disagree that it's a subject that should be ignored. It's relevant, and will need to be addressed as a causal factor in the failure of the N.O. evacuation plan. It's relevant to every other city in this country when diaster plans will be reexamined and rewritten.

Right "now" may not be the time, but the time is going to have to come soon.

• angelkins
    angelkins

3rd Eye,

No one has responded to your post. I hope many of those posters above have continued to read this thread. You are so right about the levees. The majority of the problem in N.O. is not the hurricane, but the aftermath, i.e., the failure of the levees. In 2003, they were being worked on and were totally in serious need of being rebuilt. However, in 2004. the Dept. of Homeland Security had to siphon off the money to continue that work to building the infrasturcture in Iraq--including at least one levee. Sick.

This thread has saddened me. Blame the Victim in this thread is disheartening.

Carol

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Here is my question:

The superdome was the designated shelter for those that couldn't get out of the city, this was what the local governments said. Yet the government didn't have any real provisions there for the people. WHY NOT?? As for people not bringing stuff with them, that is not true in many cases. But there is only so much you can take when you have kids with you or the elderly, or when you end up sharing your supplies with others there were not as lucky to have anything to bring with them. After all, they expected help, and it didn't come for days, so of course those that brough supplies would run out.

I do agree though, that there are many that probably didn't prepare. This is certainly a good point. However, even if every person at the superdome came there with 2 days of food for themself, this would still be a perilous and disgusting situation.

I have to tell you though, if it were my family stuck in the city...after a day or so, I would probably leave with them too, and break in to an apartment house or business some where and hole up until I saw help actually arrive. People on a good day become stupid in masses, and when you add such horrible conditions, bad things will happen.

Also, there were people that wanted to leave, but they were not allowed to leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit