Katrina Aftermath - whatever happened to personal responsibility?

by EscapedLifer1 54 Replies latest social current

• IronGland
    IronGland
    /d(of the carry your own weight, or at least try to...class)

Im sure you would have held your breath and swam through the murky toxic water to the bottom floors of your house to hopefully find a cabinet intact and taken the soggy toxic bread and eaten it and made it back to the roof in the 60 seconds or so before you passed out and drowned.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    I've been self employed for 30 years because I am independent and prefer to take care of things myself.

SO, I grew up poor, and I soon learned from my mom to not expect others to help you. You HAVE to help yourself. So, I've gone thru life doing the best I can to meet my own needs, taking responsibility for getting what I need out of life. So far, I think I've done a pretty darn good job. I have had what I want to call supportive help from the Universe all along. There were times, yes, that I cried, and felt "poor me" and played the victim, but, for the most part, I soon yanked myself up by my bootstraps and did whatever I could to deal with what life was throwing my way. It seems to me that the less we sit and cry and feel helpless, actually the more that comes our way........it's very strange......makes me think of the adage "god helps those who help themselves"

• rebel8
    rebel8

What proof do we have that no one tried to walk out?

• integ
    integ

Peace and love to one and all. Integ.

• juni
    juni

If my daughter is correct, 60% of New Orleans is poor. Is this correct? What I found interesting on the news was the statement made by the Army Corps of Engineers official. He said that the levees were only built to withstand a Level 3 hurricane. Now would not the Mayor of NO know this?? If so, why in the world would he have all of those people go to the SuperDome which is right in the thick of it??

Shows there was no preplanning EVER in an area that is affected by hurricanes. Very sad situation. Now we have thousands at the Astro Dome in Houston and they are filled to capacity there. They are moving people to the other convention centers.

Yes people should be more responsible. Being poor does not excuse people from their responsibility. Lack of education plays a big part in this - some just don't have any common sense and rely on others to think for them and as a lot of us know this is a big no-no.

Hopefully a lot will be learned from this disaster. The next disaster could be a major earthquake. We have to get our s*** together. My deepest sympathy goes out to those who have lost loved ones in death. And those who have been separated from their loved ones. Mothers from their children; moms from their newborns; husbands from wives and the sorrow goes on. Bless those who have volunteered to help fellow human beings under terrible conditions. Doctors and nurses who have stayed with their patients at the hospitals seeing that they are rescued before themselves. And all of the other folks who are giving loving aid.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Im sure you would have held your breath and swam through the murky toxic water to the bottom floors of your house to hopefully find a cabinet intact and taken the soggy toxic bread and eaten it and made it back to the roof in the 60 seconds or so before you passed out and drowned.

LOL........oh, boy, someone get the violins out to go with the histrionics........ Dude, get real........all some of us are saying is sometimes we can do more than we think we can. Sometimes, we just need to be reminded that reliance on self is important too. I think many have made very good points on this thread, and I for one will be taking mental notes. After all, this can happen to any one of us, it did about 15 years ago to us in this area.........Hurricane Gloria hit us. I remember my coworker and I had to move a downed tree from behind our car before we could leave to go home........we were let out at noon from work that day. I remember sloshing around in water up to my ankles. Then, the power went out, and I remember playing Trivial Pursuit by candlelight. We were out of power for a week. I still went to work, etc. Now, I know that was in no way the scale of Hurrican Katrina, but, I think we all get where I'm going with this. Terri

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

All of these people. Every single one of them. Starting from the upper government echelon on down to the poorest citizen. NONE OF THEM HAD A PLAN!!!

They should've!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DY

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's so obvious that none of you critics have ever been in a situation that mirrors what has happened in Louisiana and Mississippi because if you had your comments would have included a little compassion in them. You probably have never seen whole villages and towns wiped out by a natural disaster or war and just have no idea how it affects victims or you would have tempered your comments with kindness and understanding. You have probably never seen small children sitting beside their dead mothers or fathers with nowhere to look for comfort amidst their pain and loss. You have probably never seen death up close, so close that the stench doesn't make you sick anymore because your mind has blocked out the smell. You have probably never seen victims so shell-shocked by a natural disaster or from seeing the victims that were torn in half from modern weapons of war. If you had then you would probably have read and seen the effects of Katrina and met them with silence and empathy for everyone in the area instead of condemning and criticising. I pray that you never have to experience anything like what has happened to people this past week because even after 30+ years you would not be able to erase the human suffering you had seen and experienced first hand.

Did the WatchTower Bible and Tract Society dehumanise you to the point that you may never recover? I feel just as bad for you as I do for the victims of hurricane Katrina if your comments really came from deep within your hearts.

• EscapedLifer1
    EscapedLifer1

Hi Honesty,

I'll deal with your other comments later, but quickly (as I have to get back to work):

I feel just as bad for you as I do for the victims of hurricane Katrina if your comments really came from deep within your hearts.

I don't need your self-righteous sympathy, save it for the ones truly in need in NO.

Brandon

• Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit