"Relief Effort" here in Texas

by theundecided2004 26 Replies latest jw friends

• theundecided2004
    theundecided2004

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let those interested know what the North Texas part of the org is/isn't doing to help in the relief effort from a first hand account.

First of all, we all know that the society isn't helping anyone that isn't a dub, maybe unless they are a serious Bible Study or something. That being said, by Monday we had several refugees camping out at different brother and sisters' homes, most of whom they were already friends with or were referred to by mutual friends. I think by Monday night the elders in the area had a meeting about their concerns and thoughts that the friends coming in town was getting out of hand. On top of that, my dad, who is an elder, was informed that the way the situation was being handled goes against WT procedure.

So Tuesday an announcement was made at our KH by our PO concerning the hurricance relief victims. In a very formal and "theocratic" kind of way, he told the friends that those who already had taken in victims could make a conscious decision to keep them, and if so they were on their own. Otherwise, the designated relief area by the government and WT society is Houston, meaning most that just arrived would be referred to Houston, five hours south of here at their own expense. Those who just absolutely cannot leave need to check in with the N. Texas circuit assembly hall, where surviving POs are being taken care of and checking in friends. The brother also stated that the first concern was accounting for those lost, mainly POs, elders and their families who are pillars in their home congregations. The rest, as told to me at the book study last night, were to be checked in at the assembly and "screened like the government does". That entails being asked who the PO of your KH, what is the address of your KH and phone number, and show me your blood card. He said it was to make sure that when families do get a permanent placement with friends, they won't be welcoming "pedophiles and DF's ones" into their homes. I never thought of a religion screeing its people like the government, but I'm not too surprised for some reason either.

So thats it. No mention of a coordinated food effort, no immeadiate solutions for friends already here, and little sympathy from local halls. Thats not to take away from the individual compassion that a lot of the friends do have, many of whom have taken people in already against the "arrangement". The one chance the society has to show or at least fake that it has humanitarian compassion and they are gonna blow it. This shows that the arrangement and the society being an island are far more important than actually saving lives.

• sir82
    sir82

I was trying to defend the Society on other threads up until now, but I just can't do it anymore.

This makes me quite ill.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I would love to see this in print. In the Dallas Morning News, being picked up by Reuters, to be put in print worldwide. That would be beautiful!!!! HL

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm happy to read your last post, sir.

If the WTS--and by that I mean the HQ--is doing anything Christian to help victims regardless of their religious background, then I will be the first to stand in line and compliment them. However, I've heard over and over again tales like what undecided posted. It's really quite horrifying.

I don't believe the other relief organizations--those that step up to the plate and identify themselves as a relief org--help only members! I believe they help anyone and everyone. http://www.fema.gov/press/2005/resources_katrina.shtm

I once had a convo with a JW about the WTS' lack of assistance to the tsunami victims and how they only help their own--JWs in good standing to boot. He said the WTS' mission is to publish books, not to help people. Truer words have not been spoken. I think he even surprised himself when he said that, especially considering how works-oriented their belief system is.

That entails being asked who the PO of your KH, what is the address of your KH and phone number, and show me your blood card.

I'm sorry but that is one of the most pathetic things I've ever heard! I can just imagine a WT article in the future telling folks to be sure to take their no blood cards with them when they flee from natural disasters to as to ensure they're not providing shelter in an unused assembly hall to someone who is DFd. And get it notarized by your Presiding Overseer too, to be sure you are in good standing....and having to surrender your card if you're DFd...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think this is enough evidence, if it can be verified, to challenge their charitable status.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Starting a new thread to discuss an idea in the private folder: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/97636/1.ashx

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Just up. Paid sponsored addy at Google Hurricane Katrina
    Relief Work Information
    for Jehovah's Witnesses
    www.jw-aid.com
    Linked to Red Cross! They are in dire straits and fend for themselves now?

• sir82
    sir82

Very interesting, that link to jw-aid.com. Initiative shown by local brothers, stepping into the embarrassing void left by NY's inactivity.

A pity that "mother" will make every effort to shut and down, and likely remove the "privileges" of those who set it up. It is quite embarrassing to them, in more ways than one.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Very interesting, that link to jw-aid.com. Initiative shown by local brothers, stepping into the embarrassing void left by NY's inactivity.

A pity that "mother" will make every effort to shut and down, and likely remove the "privileges" of those who set it up. It is quite embarrassing to them, in more ways than one.

This was my first thought too. This is probably some poor sap in FL with a great heart and good will, that has no idea he's probably stepped into a bear trap. Poor guy. I don't know if he knows what he's gotten into. If the Society does ask him to shut down the site, then perhaps seeing first hand how autocratic the brothers really are, then it'll help them get out of the WTS sooner.

• undercover
    undercover

Interesting to see how long the JW-aid site stays up...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit