"Relief Effort" here in Texas

by theundecided2004 26 Replies latest jw friends

• theundecided2004
    theundecided2004

Hi cruzanheart and others,

I'm afraid I can't give you the name of that congregation because I really prefer to keep its/my anonymity. All it takes is the dubs putting direct quotes from elders like "government screening" together with who said that and who was in attendance and BOOM. I'll gladly give any direct correspondence i find lying around but prefer to have my direct quotes and references not used in any initiatives against the society at this time, esp. being that I don't post very often and am normally quite nervous about it. Thank you.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hey DL76! Good to see ya!

• horrible life
    horrible life

Dear undecided: Boy do we understand. You are singing to the choir. Post more often though. you know we don't bite HL

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

The JWs do a marvelous job at helping out... but only their own.

It's their modus operandi, and it's not going to change anytime soon. Their way of rescuing their own is absolutely superb! Even more so if the person happens to be very active and considered a 'pillar' in the congregation or if you're 'well connected' with the heavy ones.

Well, looking at it positively, at least they offer some sort of help if only to a chosen few. If every group or religious organization would offer the same sort of help, the problem wouldn't be as much for the government.

DY

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Well! I'm stumbled! They never called me back! (And we're surprised by that?)

Nina

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Ah, I spoke too soon! Just got off the phone with a rep from the Information Service Department. He carefully told me that they are "still gathering information, trying to find out what's happening" [uh, I think what happened was a hurricane, flood, and general destruction]. He said they would probably eventually have committees set up in the local areas to take care of the needs of Witnesses in the area. I asked him if they helped people other than Witnesses, and he quickly said "oh yes" and referred me to their media web page. He said some Witnesses refugeed to the SuperDome and are being evacuated to Houston where, again, the LOCAL congregations will take charge. I asked if headquarters sent money directly or were the local congregations in charge of their own finances. He gave me a spiel about donating to the WorldWide Bible Education Work and said that any local needs were coordinated through local committees.

A lot of doubletalk, in my opinion. Well, I'm off to Travis' to pick up his DIRECT CONTRIBUTION to Bubbamar's DIRECT NEEDS and then I'm going to the store too. They can sit up there in their air conditioned offices "gathering information, trying to find out what's happening" -- I'm going to DO something.

Freedom rocks!!! Free to be generous, free to help anyone (notice I didn't ask if Bubbamar was REALLY an ex-JW and thus worthy of my help), free to care about the earth and everyone on it.

Nina

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have just talked with the WTBTS Service Department at 718-560-5000 on 9/2/2005 at 12:55 PM EDST.

You can contribute for Hurricane Katrina relief efforts through your local Kingdom Hall and put your donation in the contribution box marked for the World Wide Work. You may also send donations directly to the Branch Office... to the Brooklyn address. Donations should be marked for the World Wide Work and not specificically reserved for relief efforts. This allows the brothers to use the money in the best way they see fit. Again, mark donations for the World Wide Work and not specific to the relief efforts.

"What efforts have the brothers got going on at the moment?"

The situation is still being somnewhat assesed and uhmmm.... being coordinated. But brothers that have been evacuated are being cared for in the areas where they were evacuated to or where they are staying with other friends or relatives.In the disaster areas the brothers are trying to assess damage to Kingdom Halls and to homes and to things like that so that's still kind of ongoing. So, we'll probably have some more complete information soon but it's still a little sketchy right now.

Anyone having professional technical expertise in data transfer methods may PM me so that we may be able to 'Get the Spoken Word' out for all to hear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit