Did You Keep That Soft Voice After You Left The JW's

by Honesty 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• out of the box
    out of the box

coolhandluke,

My husband is a former Marine drill instructor. Sometimes he goes to tell me an event that happened at work and out comes what I call his 'command voice' now add his very muscular build, now that is intimidating to some! I can envision wimpy guys peeing their pants, and women fainting when he does that. hee hee! I just put my hand up and lower it, he looks at me in the eye and I say 'can we use the 'in the car voice'? When we are in the truck, it reverberates off the glass... ouch! ha ha! He is a sweatie, wouldn't hurt a fly! (actually he can catch them with his bare hands)! Says he learned that in 3rd week of boot camp! He says he has to 'downplay' his strength so he won't scare the subs (sub contractors) and they might run away!

Just thought I would tell this little tale for a chuckle!

out of the box

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Apparently, I've lost mine. Ever since I "came into my own", so to speak, I've been accused of being disrespectful when I'm very consciously trying to be calmly and respectfully assertive. I'm also no longer interested in lulling people into a false sense of security, so that may have something to do with it as well.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

You mean that stepford-wife voice? I never had it.

LHG

• Preston
    Preston

((((Welcome Bretheren))))

- Preston

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Which 'soft voice'? I've never had a 'soft voice'!

DY

• ballistic
    ballistic

I don't know. I tried recording my voice but could only here some other guy when I played it back. Perhaps one of my apostfest friends can tell you about mine.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My mouth has always over loaded my ass! (and it's a big one! LOL) Maybe that had something to do with all the smelder's meetings every time I took a breath!! I was told I did not act like a sister being submissive to my parents and others!!! Me--submissive!!!Can't see that EVER happening!

Since I left the borg, and after I kicked my daughter's sperm donor out of my house, I've been told I have a major attitude problem to go along with my "not-so-soft" voice. Hell, imagine that!!!

shelley

• tweety
    tweety

I know exactly what you are talking about.

My mother is from Germany and when she spoke, she emphasized certain words harder than others. So an elder approched me and explained that when I speak, that I hit certain words harsh and my voice is like my mother. ( I was so shocked when he was telling me this....)

He told me that I needed to tone my voice down and stretch my words out. This will soften my tone of voice. His example was when I say 'hi' or 'hello'. The elder said to me, 'say it like this, Helllloooooo'.

Who talks like that? But I tried it, to please Mr. Elder and began speaking softly and streeeetchinnnnggg out my words.

Needless to say, since I left the JW's, no one has ever told me that I needed to tone my voice down or stretch out my words. haaa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit