Giving up drinking...........

by vitty 35 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

..............The tread about giving up smoking, made me think. They usually can give you a time scale of how long it takes to give up smoking, I know its different for everyone, but usually 6 weeks and youve cracked it, 3 months and you hardly think about it.

What about drinking, is there a yard stick of how long it takes you to break the addiction. Ive decided to stop for a month, they reckon its a good test.

Ive stopped drinking during the week( about 3 months ) and drink only fridays and saturdays, but I must admit by Thursday im really chomping on the bit for a glass of wine.

So this week will be my first dry weekend for about 10 years, im excited but also worried that I cant do it.

The problem is I associate drinking wine, with relaxing and welcoming the weekend.

If youve stopped how long did it take YOU to break the habit??????

• rebel8
    rebel8

The physical withdrawal process is fairly brief (the intense part anyway). The psychological withdrawal process can be brief or lengthy, depends on the person.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Im all or nothing. I can give up completely or drink every night, but I cant manage a balance in between.

I have given up for 3 months, but always go back to it. I quit when I want to shed a bit of weight. I cant imagine giving up for good.

The cravings go for me within a week or so, but the psychological desire never goes.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

you can do it.. find an alternative relaxation...................got pot? lol just kiddin!

make someone give you a good massage.. or take bubbly baths.. or just dont relax.. stay busy doing something you enjoy doing.

• Mary
    Mary

Trying to give up anything that resembles an 'addiction' is always very, very difficult.......I don't know that there's a specific amount of 'time' to get over it---I think it varies with each person.

What I do know is that you can't quit a bad habit without replacing it with something else. It's the whole "nature-abhors-a-vacuum".....if you want to succeed, you have to find something else to do that will help you stick to your guns. Maybe going for a long walk, meditating, finding a hobby you enjoy, joining a gym. But if you just sit around and think about it, you'll eventually cave.

Good luck!!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yea, ive got pot, and a fantastic stainless steel bong my cousin sells. Trouble is im too lazy to smoke! How pathetic is that. Ive never smoked ciggys, I know the occasional bong would be way better for me than the bottle of wine I imbibe every night, but im just too damn lazy to spiff up.

I need a smoking partner.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And there you were saying that all you wanted was your tummy rubbing. Ulterior motives abound!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LT, if you come round, we can light up my bong, and you can rub my tummy. A perfect evening.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:find an alternative relaxation...................got pot? lol just kiddin!

This really isnt a bad suggestion! Everything in moderation though.

I'm right in the middle of a month sans alcohol right now. I do a month off every year to make sure I stay moderate. Everyone I know drink on the weekends at bars and stuff so I like to make sure it doesn't become a big deal in my life. Just get through the first weekend and you should be okay for the month. Keep busy.

GBL

• JH
    JH

I never did drink much like 2 beers a week, but I started drinking a few months ago, not much, maybe 15 beers a week. And I see no problem there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit