Giving up drinking...........

by vitty 35 Replies latest jw friends

• caty
    caty

:P you're such a schmooze

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

((Brenda)).

I've found that my drinking has subsided considerably since I was a dub. All of my old dub friends would just get shitbaged every weekend. No doubt about it, its a tough habit to drop. For a little while I drank to numb the dissonance. Those days are like remembering a horrible nightmare now.

GBL

• ballistic
    ballistic
    :P you're such a schmooze

Who me? We don't have those in England I think?

• caty
    caty

heh, no no not you

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

GBL - I can understand that completely. It was my leaving that helped fuel my drinking. However, I have traced my genetic predisposition to alcoholism back at least 5 generations on my birthmother's side. No doubt in my mind I have the disease.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:No doubt in my mind I have the disease.

It's no surprise to me that such a wonderful person as you would have the courage to be honest with herself and admit having a problem. You're a great example Brenda.

GBL

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I like a drink, but can take it or leave it really. I go weeks without alcohol (its 2 weeks since my last beer now), but I think I'll always have a drink now and then, in moderation though, its never been an addiction for me

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    I like a drink, but can take it or leave it really. I go weeks without alcohol (its 2 weeks since my last beer now), but I think I'll always have a drink now and then, in moderation though, its never been an addiction for me

dedpoet - drop dead! <just kidding> This is how my adopted parents would drink. They are/were "normies"! So there is no growing up with an alcoholic family to base my alcoholism on. This just reinforces that I do have an inherited disease and it's not environmentally enhanced.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Brenda, my best friend was an alcoholic. He died two years ago at the age of 48, a complete wreck of a man. He had spells when he didn't drink, but always went back to it, and in the end it killed him. That is the main reason why I am not a big drinker, I saw the effect it had on him. His family aren't heavy drinkers, his main friends aren't, yet he was, from the age of about 25 onwards. I t definitely wasn't the environment he was brought up in that did it to him, he just got the addiction and that was it, his life pattern was set. I agree with you, it is an illness, I think any addiction is to a degree. I have just embarked on what I hope will be a successful battle with my addiction, smoking. Its tough, but I have to be determined if I'm going to make it. Like you with drink, I know that one cigarrette, at any time fro the rest of my life, and I will be back on it again.I wish you well, take care dedpoet xx

• ballistic
    ballistic

The thing is with these kind of threads is that there is a huge cultural difference between England and the US. When people talk of "x" generation drinkers, that is almost unheard of here except in some city centres. What we are seeing in England at the moment is a huge shift to young people drinking regularly which is supposed to be "cool" and the healthcare system picking up a huge increase in liver disease and other illnesses, the likes of which have never been seen before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit