Giving up drinking...........

by vitty 35 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

Thanks for all the replys!

Brenda, you really had some very good advice thanks.

My parents used to go out once a week and mum used to come home quite merry, but they never had a problem. My siblings and a few aunts and uncles had and have got alcohol problems to one degree or another. It just scares me the WAY I drink, like Katiekittens said its all or nothing. I cant just have one or two glasses of wine ive got to have the bottle ( and more).

Its Friday morning and im going out tonight for a game of golf, by the time I get home have my tea, the evening will be half over, actually im feeling ok about it, better than I though.

My kids dont drink thank goodness, ive always talked to them about the problems in the family.

Balistic Its really scary, the drinking culture, with young ones, but I think its more dangerous when you start drinking at home, than when you go out ! Apart from the crime I mean.

• avishai
    avishai

Shoot, just pretend fri. and sat. are mon. and tues.!! Go do things on the weekend thea you associate with weekdays, seriously! Worked for me!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

re sensation seeking... what is the sensation you seek? how ELSE could you get it?

• thom
    thom

I used to drink a beer every few days, but near the end of my marriage I really picked it up. It helped me to not think about my life and go to sleep at night.
    My wife got really upset so I quit entirely. I had no alcohol for about a year. I went to Germany every year and that was kinda disappointing to have no beer in Germany, but I did it. She asked (told) me to go to AA so I did. I know it works for some people and is very beneficial, but I found it extremely depressing to be there and listen to people who I felt I had absolutely nothing in common with. One guy would always express how much he hated successful business people and wanted the worst for them. Well, I was one and he always really pissed me off. I felt like he was describing me and his reasoning made no sense. AA was a bad place for me to be, but probably just the location where I went but who knows.
    Anyway, I drink about one drink each night now before bed. I have no intention to change that and next time I'm in Germany I plan to enjoy myself.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Mine was definitely the worst when I was in mental turmoil over the cult. I so wanted to be able to still believe it. (It was compforting in its way) But every time I read the arguments, they were less and less convincing.

Drowning my sorrow in a way. Then a whole series of feculant events befell me too. At my worst I was drinking a bottle of spirits a night.

I can control myself in social situations, but I cannot be left alone with a full bottle. Now I have put things in a better perspective, I feel less anger and distress. Meditation has helped. My mantra helps block out the drone from the platform when I do go to a meeting at the kingdumb hell, but I found the AA meetings sad and depressing. Doing something intensely creative has also helped. I can sit writing and forget the time.

Haish P

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well I tried to have a beer with dinner 2 days ago. Ended up dumping the beer and getting a can of ginger ale. My friend who I mentioned earlier remarked to me that he hasn't been bombed like that night since.... which means he'll probably waste himself tonight. Fine by me, I collect all his/their empties and usually get about 30 bucks.

Go to a bar one night, drink soda, order some food you'd normally eat after having 7-8 beers, and watch the drunken idiots and be proud of yourself. I absolutely love leaving a bar completely sober.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit