does god listen to prayers?

by el jarocho mayor 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

One of my favorite bumper stickers:

• damselfly
    damselfly

When my cousin and I were 4 my grandmother told us that God could see us and hear us at all times, so we should pray.

We listened very attentively to her and when she left the room, agreed that we didn't think God did.

Dams

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    As a young JW, I was told to pray silently 'in the head', and remember to keep the lips still - Satan would then not be able to hear OR lip read!

I thought I was the only one. I remember thinking, if I pray out loud, satan will know what I need help with, he'll make it harder, so I wont ever, ever pray outloud.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry.............are you saying when we pray to god, we are actually praying to ourselves?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

I'll never forget the night I was praying and suddenly stopped. It just hit me like a freight train that I was JUST TALKING TO MYSELF. It all came clear as wellwater to me.

God cannot answer prayers because god is the idealized projection of our own self. If you looked in the mirror and thought it was actually another person and began talking to your image and asking it for things it would be no less peculiar than what praying is.

Praying is a dandy waste of time and a huge self-deception. If you fool yourself you are really in bad shape rationally.

Whatever the actuality of ____god___is would be so entirely different than human thought could capture and comprehend on any level that it is fooling ourselves even to try. The actual god would certainly not crave worship nor be at our beckoned call. We have existence and that is all there is to it.

T.

• chrissy
    chrissy

I've never had any of my prayers answered. not a single one. not even that one to satan.

• Daunt
    Daunt

On an earthly standpoint, Terry is right. We affectively pray to ourselves. Pray for many people sets standards for what's going to happen next, and usually their faith will allow them to keep on in their reasoning that God is infaliable. So many people affectively live out their prays, and certain coincidences like Brenda happen building people's faith even more.

Not to say that that wasn't divinely directed, but, I wonder how many great amazing things would happen to us if we counted the non-pray ones instead of the pray ones.

Would be amazed at how real a person can make their reality, it seems almost supernatural sometimes.

• talesin
    talesin
    Terry.............are you saying when we pray to god, we are actually praying to ourselves?

Well, I'm obviously not Terry, but YES. I do think that sending our thoughts out there doesn't hurt, though. There may be something real about the 'collective consciousness',,, we just can't quantify it at this point.

tal

• Robdar
    Robdar
    There may be something real about the 'collective consciousness',,, we just can't quantify it at this point.

I agree Tal.

There are some who believe that what you imagine and put energy into will become reality. I believe it. I've witnessed it in my art and in my work. Any way, if it's true, could this mean that we are creating God and the saints? Or maybe our prayers feed them and make them stronger? Who knows?

I do believe that God listens to prayers. Sometimes the answer is no. Those times suck.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I believe he does too...Like Rodbar said.

I think the ones that are important he does. I for one would not be here if he didn't.

I asked God to give me a good reason to keep living. I got that. Her name is Lily.

Brooke

• upside/down
    upside/down
    collective

THAT'S A BORG TERM.....RUN!!!

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit