What countries are helping the US with hurricane Katrina?

by Texas Apostate 41 Replies latest social current

• talesin
    talesin

avi,

Side note. The Cajuns are from Nova Scotia, and some New Brunswick, but not Quebec. It is a different wave of immigrants, and 'Acadia' is comprised of NS, NB and Prince Edward Island. Quebec was a pretty much a nonentity at the time of the Acadian expulsion by the British. The Quebecois relate with France, and really have no love for the Cajuns. Evangeline, the famous poem, was written about a girl from Grand Pre, about 1 hours' drive from here.

Hey, TA, the Cajuns are welcome back here, especially if they bring all their recipes with them!!! And I love their accent, ahhh, it's so ,,, so ,,, Cajun, cher!

tal

• jgnat
    jgnat

I guess from an outsider's perspective, the US is a very big country, very powerful, with enormous influence, with a teeny tiny self-esteem problem. When the US brushes a fly, a country flies off the map. I'd rather the US act like a St. Bernard or a Newfoundland I guess, than a yappy Chihuahua. When the St. Bernard happily galumphs in to a crisis with his barrel of beer, everybody cheers.

We loves you guys, we really do. Be careful who you swat. Please.

• Soledad
    Soledad

This disaster is such a tragedy. My thoughts are with those affected.

Has anyone been in touch with Dede (Lyineyes?) I hope she and family are ok.

With regards to this thread topic, TA has a point. I'm hoping that some corrupt nation out there is willing to lend a land. We know they got money; it's not going to the poor folks! Someone's coffer is overflowing somewhere I know that!

Canada: you're awesome. thanks!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    TA (of the can I get a hand China, Russia, France (yeah right)...class)

Let's see. France first, Russia and Venezuala and Canada also, just so far. Bush plans to mosie on down there on Friday.

• nowisee
    nowisee

i have been wondering about lyin eyes too. does anyone know how she is??

thanks to anyone with enough compassion to help in this desperate situation. it is huge human tragedy and we all will be affected by this.

• avishai
    avishai

I guess from an outsider's perspective, the US is a very big country, very powerful, with enormous influence, with a teeny tiny self-esteem problem. When the US brushes a fly, a country flies off the map. I'd rather the US act like a St. Bernard or a Newfoundland I guess, than a yappy Chihuahua. When the St. Bernard happily galumphs in to a crisis with his barrel of beer, everybody cheers.

Why is it that when someone brings up a natural disaster involving civilians, etc, totally unrelated to other stuff, Iraq, etc., people still have to use it as an opportunity to USA bash?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thank ya'll for worring about us, but we are just fine. We live in Northwest Louisiana, about an hour from the Arkansas line and and hour from the Texas line, we are the hurricane route out for those poor souls.

I live in the city of Shreveport/Bossier and we are one of the biggest cities in Louisiana and our Motels are already slammed full. Even as far north up in the city of Springhill, where I used to live, they have the Civic Center opened for the evacuees. And that is a very , very small town.

I am in shock at the vast numbers of evacuees here .........and how are they going to pay for the motel rooms? Their money is going to run out,,,,,,,,,I hope for Federal aid in that area , ASAP.

We need help in this state, not just in NewOrleans, OMG, it looks like war, or Armeggedon hit that place. How will they begin to rebuild?

But for now the people who left and lost everything, need help now, food, clothes, money, a place to lay their heads right now.

It is like a war zone in the other sense that families are missing members, have no clue where they are, assuming the worst, as it probably is.

People are scared to death , fighting to literally survive for the basic needs of life. People are crying on our local news, begging,,,,,,,,,,,,,begging for someone to help.

Again thanks for caring and we hope to hear from Bubbamar soon, what about Kenneson, Bigboi??

Heartbroken for My Louisiana, Dede

• talesin
    talesin

Dede,

thank you for posting! I was thinking of you guys, and just about to post a thread asking for you.

Avi,

No, my point is that the francophones in Quebec do not have a sympatico with the Cajuns, in fact, they scoff at them. Sorry, hun!

xo

tal

• avishai
    avishai
    No, my point is that the francophones in Quebec do not have a sympatico with the Cajuns, in fact, they scoff at them. Sorry, hun!

Ahhh, well, I guess I was misinformed. That sucks, especially after the treatment the Acadien's suffered. Nice.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I think this post from another forum I belong to relates very well to this question, so, I will share it here:

Aug 31, 05 - 10:29 AM
    Thank you all for the prayers and energy sent to the New Orleans area. Katrina veered away from New Orleans at the last minute and Meteorologist are theorizing what caused her from making a direct hit.
    Actually I know what caused the near miss; it was all of the energetic requests sent out by light and energy workers around the Nation requesting that she avoid N.O. As bad as it is right now, the whole city would be gone had Katrina made a direct hit on the city. So thank you, thank you all for your time and compassion. More is needed as the water continues to pour into New Orleans. If something is not done within the next few days, the Gulf may reclaim this land as it's own and we will lose one of the most unique city's in our Nation. Pres. Bush stopped his vacation early (big of him, huh?), is in Washington currently, and will fly over New Orleans on Friday. FRIDAY WILL BE TOO LATE!!!!!! (This reminds me of 9/11 when he was in the Florida classroom and didn't respond for several minutes after he had been told about the disaster.)
    This is a catastrophy of unheralded magnitude. Only 9/11 compares. An entire major city, an economic hub for crucial commodities like oil and gas, is in dire straits. If something is not done within the next few days, we chance losing a cultural and economic pillar of our Nation. (FYI: For all of you music buffs; The only music that is intrinsic to the U.S. is Jazz. The rhythms of Jazz can be traced to Congo Square in Louis Armstrong park which is in New Orleans. This is where the slaves gathered to play drums on Sundays. Slave owners would not allow slaves to have, in their possession, drums at any other time except Sundays because they were afraid they would use the drums to communicate over long distances, which they would have, and organize an uprising. The basic rhythms that were played in Congo Square are the foundation rhythms of jazz as we know it. This may only seem important to musicians, but to anyone who has been in Congo Square can attest, the energy there is incredible! Before slavery it was a Native American Sacred Site. I even proposed to my wife there!)
    We live about 5 blocks from a major hospital and in my morning meditation, I could hear helicopter after helicopter medivac'ing patients in from New Orleans. I am constantly hearing helicopters, as I write this, flying overhead airlifting patients to a nearby hospital.
    Thousands of refuges are here and staying at hotels, family, and friends homes. One of my friends has 10 people at her house right now, with no where to go, and no time frame whatsoever. All the hotels are filled for 160 miles. We are admitting patients into Hospice from other Hospices from all around New Orleans. A huge facility, The Cajundome is being used as well as the Convention Center, Blackham Coliseum, and Heymann Auditorium here in Lafayette to house refugees. At least they have Air Conditioning and food. So many volunteers and food showed up yesterday to help out that they and the food were turned away due to not being organized enough to deligate jobs and not having the room for the food!
    Sorry, I'm rambling.
    Compassion, in the form of $ and supplies, is pouring in from all parts of the world.
    Help is on it's way to New Orleans! We need to all pray that it arrives in time to save her.
    Thanks again for your time and prayers.
    Love to all,
    Aho!
    Peter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit