Car scam over the internet... how shall I screw with him?

by Elsewhere 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I am still looking around at cars to buy, hopefully I will buy some time around December or January. About a month ago I posted about an internet scam where people over-seas try to get people in America to pay for cars that will be shipped to them from another country.

I have reported this scam to Yahoo! Autos and to the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ifccfbi.gov) but never heard from either and since then I have seen a substantial increase in the number of scams appearing in the Yahoo! Autos listing (autos.yahoo.com). Nearly every "Private Seller" listing is a scam.

The other day I baited one guy for the sole purpose of yanking his chain and today I got a response from him. I'd like everyone to post ideas for ways to screw around with this guy. Anyone with experience with the old Nigerian scam should have some great ideas.

To start, here is the first email he sent me

Hello,

The car is still available for sale and ready to be shipped.

I'm very glad that you like my car and I can only say that you h ave good taste about cars! This car was never crushed, droped or raced,no scathches,no dents and also it has a clear title. I took care of it like it was my own baby. I'm located in London,United Kingdom, and the car is here with me. I've just moved here and I need a new car(a new RHD). I have to sell it in US because don't worth to register the car here because the car is LHD and I have to make a lot a changes to be able to register and drive it here wich will cost me alot of time and money and I decide to sell it back in the States. The car is in perfect condition, with no rust, no damages, never been in accidents. Paymanet will be done in a professionally way trough BidPay. If you don't want to keep it (this is not the case) I will pay the shipping back on my expense and you will have to inform BidPay and they will send you the money back. In case you don't receive the car (this is not the case to) BidPay will refund you the money, 100%. I will manage the shipping of the car at no cost for you. You will pay only the price of the car, $6000 but to eliminate any concerns i will accept a down payment for $3000 trough BidPay but they won't give me the money until they have your confirmation that you have received the car and you want to keep it. You will have 5 day to test the car and after this day if you really love the car you have to send me the remaining balance. If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name and shipping address in order to contact BidPay to open a case ID# and they will contact you with all the details regarding the payment.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards

So everyone knows, this is in regards to a silver 2004 Audi TT that is supposed to be for sale for $6,000. If anyone is wondering, that is WAY below the fair market value. You'll also notice that his email is very generic and does not specifically refer to the Audi TT.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ummm, I'm not very good at this, but how about a worried note about it being used as a "doped" car? Tell him there are many cars that are used for "dope" runs here between the US and Canada, which is why you would never buy a used car in North America.

Another thought, but this is my practical scottish side. What in the heck would the S & H cost be? What if you asked it to be shipped "air mail"?

And again, what is the registration number? This might be left for last. You might say that your brother in law works for MI 5 and you want to run the registration number through the UK database....

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hey elsewhere you can get some excellent tips from http://www.419eater.com

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh yes, ask for pictures. Lots of pictures. Pictures of the "shipping crate". Pictures of the dash. Pictures of him IN the car.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Oh yes, ask for pictures. Lots of pictures. Pictures of the "shipping crate". Pictures of the dash. Pictures of him IN the car.

LMAO! That is a great idea! This is exactly why I posted about it... "two heads are better than one".

Hey elsewhere you can get some excellent tips from http://www.419eater.com

Thank you very much!!! I will be reading that with great joy!

• damselfly
    damselfly

You know......... I could use a car

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

omg... I've been looking at the http://www.419eater.com web site and I have received a vision from Jehover herself!!!

I will tell this guy that I am a Jehovers Witness and that I will only do business with another JW or someone who is a relative of a JW. I will then demand that they MAIL me a Watchtower or Awake! Magazine.

I see great potential in this! I could drag this out with me preaching to me for a looong time!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

LMAO at Elsewhere!

That is gold... I love that idea... You have to keep us posted on the outcome. Oh I love it. Get yourself a mentor over there if you want some guidance. Callum is always very helpful.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Elsewhere -

I'm especially fond of http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html

• Undecided
    Undecided

Tell him you have a friend who lives there and will send him by to look at the car. Make him give you the address and telephone number.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit