Greatest Storm in History Coming Today

by Amazing1914 97 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Blues Brother, I guess when they started building New Orleans, people didn't know the things they do today about hurricanes and how they could flood the area. Still, greed keeps people, who can do something, saying that people die, they always have, they always will. But you wonder how they will feel when it's their own that die in this storm. New Orleans and surrounding areas will not be the same for the next few years. You can rebuild the towns, but you cannot bring back the dead. The world we live in is definitely corrupt and run by very powerful, very greedy people. It helps no one to blame God or who ever is in charge of the material universe. I have said lately that my boss thinks we live in purgatory. At times like this, you wonder.

• horrible life
    horrible life

How many people are they predicting will die? I only saw 1 old codger on TV, on an island, that would not leave. He said ,when its your time, its your time. Reminded me of the old man near Mt. St. Helens. He died. There should not be any die because of flooding. They should be gone. But I understand not wanting to leave your home. Lots of old people won't want to leave. Hopefully they listened. HL

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I M H O only.

God created the earth and and the weather systems.

Man built a city in a low lying area, in full knowlege of the pre existing weather systems

If a fraction of mans resources that are spent on millitary defence were spent on flood and natural defences , the danger would not be so great. [See Flyinghighnow's other post]

So how come some people want to blame God??

Well golly, Blues, don't you know that God is still to blame? I mean, c'mon. Why didn't he send the founding fathers of New Orleans a written notice telling them that they shouldn't build there? It's also his fault that he didn't physically move the settlers when they started to settle there. It's the same with Gavelston TX. After the hurricane of 1900, God should have prevented the citizens from rebuilding there. Afterall, he might send another hurricane at a later date and we all know that it wouldn't be their fault if some of them got killed. It's always God's fault. After all, he is the big, huge, omnipotent Sky Daddy that is only there to make sure that we are miraculously saved from the evil, uncaring natural forces of this earth. Why should humans ever take responsibility? I wonder how many of those that are blaming God for not looking after things properly have children of their own? I wonder if they will always be there for their children? Always keep them safe? Always accept the blame for how their children's lives turns out? And hey, since they are responsible for giving them life, aren't they also responsible for giving them death? No, wait, that's God's fault too. Everything is, yanno.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

In closing, and I hope you can get a good nights sleep after your day today

Thanks, prophecor, I slept fairly well aside from all the crazy dreams.

I didn't mean to come down on your beliefs, but I get frustrated when I can't understand people's motiviation for believing certain things (and those margaritas were a little strong). That's something that I need to work on. Maybe deep down I still believe in God and have issues with him.

Sonny

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think it is the greatest storm in history, it's going to have a huge impact by all accounts.

However, I think we (humans) have to be honest about the impact and our part in it. When we mess with natural systems we often make things worse. In this case, the flooding will probably be worse because of the lost marsh land and levees that have been built. You stop minor floods but make big floods worse.

Also, there is a case that extreme weather is happening more often due to human interference with the environment such as pollution, deforrestation and so on.

Still, I think blaming god is a good idea ... but it may be a get-out clause for insurance companies ('act of god').

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Man built a city in a low lying area, in full knowlege of the pre existing weather systems
    I think we should discuss this in further detail. I've always wondered why people throughout the world build and rebuild in areas that are known for natural disasters. Could it be in many cases (not all) that they have nowhere else to go? Their resources are limited? You have to admit, if everyone on this planet congregated in areas which don't have natural disasters, we'd be stacked on top of one another and sleeping in little cubicles like The Fifth Element. Southern California is known for its unpredictable earthquakes. Where are the millions of people from Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, as well as smaller towns supposed to go? What about the entire nation of Japan? It has so many earthquakes and tidal waves that we've adopted the word tsunami from them. China? Indonesia? The southern United States? Tornado Alley of the mid west? The Caribbean? Some of the most populated areas on earth are riddled with natural disasters. The question is whether or not we have a choice to populate certain areas. I don't think so. We're getting cramped as it is, and abandoning entire regions and nations would be even more disastrous. We'd see more wars and famine than ever. I'm lucky enough to live in an area of the US that's fairly safe. We may see the remnants of a hurricane now and then, but I've never seen anything major in my lifetime. If everyone from the U.S. alone congregated in such areas it would be a nightmare. Since much of our produce is grown in the mid west and California, where would we get our food if these areas were abandoned?
    So how come some people want to blame God??

Wasn't he the one who told us to be fruitful and multiply? Well, we listened. Every continent on Earth has natural disasters of some sort, and we have to live somewhere, don't we? So, why did God create these disasters in the first place if he wanted us to populate the earth? There seems to be far more unsafe places to live than safe, and many areas are not habitable at all. Maybe floods could be prevented in some areas given the proper resources, but the rest of it is up to Mother Nature. I doubt we'll ever see the day when we can harness the power of a hurricane or still the ground during an earthquake. At least not in our lifetime.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    It's also his fault that he didn't physically move the settlers when they started to settle there.

I suppose if God believes without a doubt that destructive natural disasters are necessary, he could have lumped us all into the few safe zones of Earth where we could come up with all kinds of new diseases. Sounds fun!

I wonder how many of those that are blaming God for not looking after things properly have children of their own?

Speaking for myself, I'm not necessarily blaming God because I doubt his existence, but I'm questioning those who believe in God and are blaiming us for populating his earth per his request.

I don't have children yet, but if I do I'm not going to shoot rockets at their homes and say, "Wait! Don't you know that I randomly shoot rockets at this entire region? You should have moved to Canada."

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Speaking for myself, I'm not necessarily blaming God because I doubt his existence, but I'm questioning those who believe in God and are blaiming us for populating his earth per his request.

I don't have children yet, but if I do I'm not going to shoot rockets at their homes and say, "Wait! Don't you know that I randomly shoot rockets at this entire region? You should have moved to Canada."

Isn't it fascinating how people who doubt the exixtence of God still look to blame him anyway? It's soooooo good to have a scapegoat.

Robyn

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'm not blaming god. I woke up this morning to see that the roof is starting to come off the dome where they put all those people that couldn't leave. Why couldn't they leave? Normally the national guard would help them leave. Oh yea, they're all over fighting that war for oil.

Sherry

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I really have no opinion. I live in Buffalo where the worst we get are Super Bowl letdowns, one big snow storm a year, and recycled Johnny Carson jokes. Well, the city is broke, crime is still rampant, but whatever..........

I just think it's great to see Robdar, Gretchen and Amazing posting. :) And that prophecor dude is totally cool with me too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit