Cross or a Stake - which was it?

by KAYTEE 120 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Now that pseudo-scholar has joined this thread, it seems the best he can do is merely reiterate his belief that the WTS are brilliant scholars and are completely factually correct and have never misrepresented anything, without discussing any of the specific points and issues that have been brought to light in these threads. Beliefs are just fine in the domain of faith, and pseudo-scholar is free to have whatever faith he wants to have in the WTS, but if he even dreams of engaging in a "scholarly" discussion of this subject (as he has pretensions of), he must support his cherished opinions and beliefs with facts and evidence. Otherwise there is no point in continuing a discussion with pseudo-scholar, if he thinks he can challenge a reasoned discussion of facts and evidence by simply stating his beliefs and making fun of those who actually do discuss the implications of the literary evidence (i.e. "puerile", "infantile", etc.).

For instance, I would like to see him defend the following statement:

"The use of the classical sources are correct....Celebrated WT scholars do not and have not misrepresented source references either currently or previously, it is just not the policy."

by using Lucian as an example. Would he even try to do this? Of course, he would have to deal with the actual texts and explain how they support the Society's claim that stauros and its verbal form had "merely an upright stake or pale" in view.

• heathen
    heathen

Sholar --- I think you are wasting your time defending a fraud like the WTBTS . From what I've read they even lied about their credentials and did not have the masters degree in greek or hebrew to determine the precise usage of terms . There are clearly several ways in which someone could be impaled or crusified and we have no way to determine the actual method the romans used at the time since they used at least two ways of doing it . I still think the more important issue is it's use in worship as idolotry in which the WTBTS got it right for a change .

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

And I have asked you before, Scholar, who exactly are these "celebrated WT Scholars"? What are their names? You don`t even know, do you. You just swallow down every word in the publications, and "celebrate their scholarship". "Scholar", what a retarded term for the writers over at WT. Tell, me, since when did the WTBTS become an academic institution? Here`s a little summary of the "scholarship" of the NWT - committe:

Milton Henschel, Karl Klein, Nathan Knorr, Albert Schroeder : No training in biblical languages

George Gangas: Of turkish origin, and knew modern greek. No training in biblical languages (the greek of the Bible is quite different from modern greek).

Frederick Franz: Probably the only person to actually translate. Franz was a liberal arts student at the University of Cincinnati: 21 semester hours of classical Greek, some Latin. Partially completed a two-hour survey course in Biblical Greek in junior year. Self-taught in Spanish, greek,biblical Hebrew. Never took any exams.

Yeah, thats the "celebrated WT scholars"

Hellrider, apostate

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I heard that someone suspended by their arms on a stake will asphixiate in about 8 to 10 minutes...

I think we should try it on scholar!

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F Narkissos Leolaia

I repeat the Society by means of celebrated WT scholars have misrepresented no-one or no-thing. All that apostates is write material that merely seeks to falsify our presentation of evidence.That is a process that anyone can duplicate if one wishes too but such falsification is a smokescreen designed to conceal the raw facts about matters. Falsification is simply a critiicsm or an alternative viewpoint or opinion and proves nothing.

Leolaia: Your cross vs stake hypothesis is a nothing, it contains no facts that invalidate the raw lexical and traditional data. You have not proved that the classical material negates the case put by by us. You need to try much harder and deeper and if you are so cocky about your research then present the material for peer review and have it published in a journal.

scholar JW

• heathen
    heathen

At least leolaias comments were supported by experts in historical and ancient languages where as the WTBTS is nothing but pure dogma . This whole discussion is based on opinion anyway as the articles mentioned merely state it was more likely that a cross shaped object was used not that it was proven fact .

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Leolaia

There really ought to be an English translation of Lipsius' text

See: http://www.blueletterbible.org/study/cults/exposejw/expose63.pdf

Translation of pages 46 & 47 of De Cruce Liber Primus

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

So which of these WT scholars takes the credit for translating the Greek Scriptures?

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

celebrated WT scholars

you are always spelling this wrong, it's "celebated".

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Scholar,

Not to be a pill, but the glory for these writings would only go to Jehovah if they credited him as the source. They do not. They specifically state that their writings are not inspired of God. They take credit for the writings as humans just as surely as Moses took credit for bringing water from the rock after *striking* it instead of speaking to it.

Just a thought,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit