Cross or a Stake - which was it?

by KAYTEE 120 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheListener
    TheListener

If you're someone with a witness family then the information that Leolaia has provided is invaluable. A witness can't be forcibly unconverted, however, they can sometimes be shown how the society falsely quotes from external sources. Leolaia's has provided the source information with which to judge the society's claims; thank you.

By the way, for those of you who say it doesn't matter how Jesus died, just that he did; you're right. But it does matter to a witness, it's a main pole in their tent that they're the only true religion because everyone else is too blinded to see it.

• inquirer
    inquirer

Leolaia,

Hmmm, a lot of you scans are hard to read. Hurts my eyes just looking at them! Could you enlarge them? Even with a special option on my browser to enlarge them even more only makes the text blurry.

The last scans are ok, but I would have liked to have read the other earlier ones too.

It's something to consider but I have been brought up to believe for so long that he died on a torture stake. It's not just something where I go "flip the switch." Not everyone can accept the divine name in the Greek Scriptures either. You really have to think about all these things.

I got a scanner, and a good paint program. I know you can scan these things and make them large. I think this is an important point and I think you should enlarge them more! Even if ended up not agreeing with you, others would!

• inquirer
    inquirer

...The problem is, and I'll admit this, it's a subtle difference: it's either the 3:45 hands (going anti clock wise...) or 12 midnight -- which is the right way?

• inquirer
    inquirer

The problem is the Vine's Dictionary says the primary meaning of it is "upright stake." They are so adiment of this!

• inquirer
    inquirer

Another problem I have is that people on this message board go out of their way to prove the JW's wrong. It's like it's almost a sport at times! And I think that is not very scholary.

Sometimes I feel people say things because they hate the JW's! Sure hate them if you must but be logical about these thigns and it up with evidence like with 607 BC. It was a good point that Carl brought up.

I know Leolaia "backed it up with evidence" but I get tried of this "if the JW's do it" it must be wrong. I am sure there are other organizations that are just as destructive as JW's... I won't mention them here...

• inquirer
    inquirer

I AM TERRIBLY SORRY FOR POSTING SO MUCH! But, Leolaia, what would you think of the guy who wrote that book: The UnChristian Cross... You can get it on amazon. Did he just was ALLLL that time writing that book? How could he get it so wrong! I might actually get it and see what he says. See if he quotes those ancient people like Senecca like you did!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

inquirer....I'm sorry some of the scans are hard to read. They read okay on my computer and I've rescanned a few to make them bigger, but the scanning process was quite a laborious one, particularly the process of putting highlighting on the images (which is a multi-step procedure involving making a layer, select fill, then blending options, then adjust contrast, etc.), and I don't want to do a big "re-do".

It's something to consider but I have been brought up to believe for so long that he died on a torture stake. It's not just something where I go "flip the switch." Not everyone can accept the divine name in the Greek Scriptures either. You really have to think about all these things.

Those are areas in which "mental-regulating" through repetition has made it hard to entertain other ideas. Other Witnesses would find it hard to "flip the switch" with regard to 607, the "two hopes" doctrine, the identity of the F&DS, etc. even if those are incorrect notions as well. Meanwhile most would not "accept" the divine name in the NT because it doesn't belong there in the first place....

Another problem I have is that people on this message board go out of their way to prove the JW's wrong. It's like it's almost a sport at times! And I think that is not very scholary.

Perhaps it is like a sport because the WTS makes it so easy! What is not very scholarly is the dishonest or inept use of sources by the WTS, so that they teach something that just isn't true, and I think someone could hardly be faulted for pointing out the error which -- inside the JW community -- is supposed to be an article of faith, the disbelief of which can be a disfellowshipping offense.

Sometimes I feel people say things because they hate the JW's! Sure hate them if you must but be logical about these thigns and it up with evidence like with 607 BC. It was a good point that Carl brought up.

In most cases I have seen here, people have been logical in pointing out the illogical claims or errors of the Society. It takes a lot of research to document things as thoroughly as Jonsson has done with 607, but I have tried to research all relevant primary sources on the matter of stauros and crux.

I know Leolaia "backed it up with evidence" but I get tired of this "if the JW's do it" it must be wrong. I am sure there are other organizations that are just as destructive as JW's... I won't mention them here...

The existence of groups as destructive or more destructive than the WTS does not let the WTS off the hook for making false claims under the guise of scholarliness, or the more destructive things like their blood and shunning policies.

The problem is, and I'll admit this, it's a subtle difference: it's either the 3:45 hands (going anti clock wise...) or 12 midnight -- which is the right way?

The position you characterize as "3:45" is an outstretching of the hands involving a patibulum, whereas the upward extension in what you characterize as "12 midnight" does not involve a patibulum. That's a pretty big difference. The question then, in the case of Jesus, is: "Was there a patibulum on his stauros?" The evidence is clearly in favor of the possibility that it did. The position that the stauros DID NOT have a patibulum (which is insisted by the WTS as "the way it really was") is certainly the least likely of the two possibilities.

Now, what can be stated for an absolute certainty is that the WTS is wrong for insisting that the words crux and stauros did not refer to two-beamed crosses at the time. This is the major piece of evidence the WTS provides for establishing that Jesus' stauros was not a two-beamed cross, and this "fact" is not a fact at all. In fact, the very same sources that the WTS cites in support of its position in fact invalidate it.

The problem is the Vine's Dictionary says the primary meaning of it is "upright stake." They are so adiment of this!

How is this a problem? Just because someone makes a claim and insists on it enough, that makes it true? This is not critical thinking. You must evaluate the claims by assessing evidence from primary sources. The fact is, the WTS was not the only one who claimed that Jesus' stauros was not a two-beamed cross. They copied this idea from other Protestant groups who wanted to expunge the cross from Christianity as nothing more than a "pagan symbol" (regardless of the historical facts about crucifixion). The mere fact that some non-JWs accept this idea does not make it true. Certain 19th and early 20th century Protestant evangelical scholars did entertain sectarian views and sometimes incorporated those sectarian views in their work. If a widely-used reference work expresses such a sectarian view, that does not make it true. In this case, W. E. Vine and the author of the Companion Bible (E. W. Bullinger) appendices made clearly inaccurate claims that appear related to their view that the cross is a pagan symbol. Similarly, both authors had ties to the Plymouth Brethren (cf. the Open Brethren sect) and both authors expressed ideas in their works supportive of their sectarian view of Darbyesque dispensationalism (involving a "secret rapture") and/or "soul sleep". The fact that these works are among the only reference works to express such viewpoints is the reason why the WTS quotes so much from them, for they express the same or similar view as what the WTS already prefers (in fact, the eschatological ideas of Pastor Russell appear to have ultimately derived from the same Plymouth Brethren source).

• heathen
    heathen

I think one thing for sure is that the cross has become the symbol of gross hypocrisy instead of integrity . Even hitler used the cross as a swastika, it makes perfect sense to me why someone would want to not even mention it in connection with jesus . The WTBTS did make a case that the symbol of the cross was around before christianity such as the Ankh in egypt and that the early church thought by adopting some things from other cults would make it easier to convert people . It is kinda a sport looking for holes in the WTBTS dogma (which they claim they don't use ) because most people in the cult are too scared to question anything in print so this publishing corporation bullies them into acceptance . The more we examine they're process of coercion used by the WTBTS the better off we are when dealing with them . I do think there are those that take the extra precaution and throw the baby out with the bath water , so to speak .LOL Even jesus warned there will be many coming in his name that would be nothing but ravenous wolves. The WTBTS does not even let members do their own research .

BTW -- I like leolaia's new avatar . You look so cute in that picture .HE HE

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

from what I have seen on history channel and discovery of late, most modern scholars and historians are saying

it was neither a cross nor a stake but the T and the top peices was the only part carried by the criminals.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    But, Leolaia, what would you think of the guy who wrote that book: The UnChristian Cross... You can get it on amazon. Did he just was ALLLL that time writing that book? How could he get it so wrong! I might actually get it and see what he says. See if he quotes those ancient people like Senecca like you did!

He doesn't. It's a very biased work. And you don't have to get it on Amazon, it is available here:

http://members.cox.net/srice1/books/parsons/parsons.htm

Incidentally, Denham Parsons was also either the author of the Companion Bible appendix on the "cross" or Bullinger plagiarized from Parsons because the wording between the two is extremely close. Parsons also seems to be the source of some of the incorrect claims made by the Society. For example, Parsons anticipates the Society's claim that Livy used crux to mean only "stake":

"It is therefore noteworthy that even this Latin word 'crux,' from which we derive our words 'cross' and 'crucify,' did not in ancient days necessarily mean something cross-shaped, and seems to have had quite another signification as its original meaning. A reference, for instance, to the writings of Livy, will show that in his time the word crux, whatever else it may have meant, signified a single piece of wood or timber; he using it in that sense" (Parsons, The Non-Christian Cross, from chapter 2, "The Evidence of Minucius Felix").

Interestingly, Parsons gives in a footnote a citation of Livy, indicating that he is referring to "Livy, xxviii. 29". But this is one of the texts in which Livy used palus, not crux, to refer to the instrument: "Bound to a stake (deligati ad palum) they were scouraged and beheaded" (28.29.11). I don't know where Parsons got the mistaken idea that Livy was using the word crux here; the word crux does appear in 28.37, but this relates an altogether different event sometime later by a different individual (the Carthaginian general Mago, whereas 28.29 concerned the Roman general Scipio). So this looks like a mistake made by Parsons that was picked up by the WTS and repeated ad nauseum.

Parsons also quotes Lucian to support his position, tho a different passage than the one cited by the WTS:

The side light thrown upon the question by Lucian is also worth noting. This writer, referring to Jesus, alludes to "That sophist of theirs who was fastened to a skolops;" which word signified a single piece of wood, and not two pieces joined together.

This is a citation from De Morte Peregrini, but what Parsons does not seem to realize is that the verb anaskolopizoó in the text he quotes is the same one used in Lis Consonantium, 12 to refer to the crucifixion of people on a two-beamed stauros.

There are also many other dubious statements. Here is an argument from silence that is quite unreasonable:

Had there been any such intimation in the twenty-seven Greek works referring to Jesus, which our Church selected out of a very large number and called the "New Testament," the Greek letter chi, which was cross-shaped, would in the ordinary course have been referred to; and some such term as Katà chiasmon, "like a chi," made use of.

There is no compelling reason to necessarily expect such a comparison; whereas other writings dating to the time when books of the NT were still under composition (such as Barnabas) do compare the stauros to the Greek letter tau.

The author frequently intimates that Constantine played a dominant role in introducing the cross and even claims that crux simplex remained the primary meaning of stauros through the Middle Ages:

Even as late as the Middle Ages, the word stauros seems to have primarily signified a straight piece of wood without a cross-bar.

The author seems to also have no idea that the word crux clearly referred to a two-beamed cross in Plautus and Seneca, as well as all throughout Christian writing from the early second century AD onward. Similarly he wrote:

What the ancients used to signify when they used the word stauros, can easily be seen by referring to either the Iliad or the Odyssey. It will there be found to clearly signify an ordinary pole or stake without any cross-bar. And it is as thus signifying a single piece of wood that the word in question is used throughout the old Greek classics.

Referring to the "old Greek classics" like Homer is just fine if one wants to find what the earliest meaning of stauros was, but it has no relevance to what the word meant in later centuries. Why? Because Roman crucifixion didn't even exist when those "old Greek classics" were written. It's like saying the word "car" could NOT refer to automobiles in the 20th century because the oldest writers from the 1500s and the 1600s used it to refer to "chariots". The word stauros meant "simple stake" in the eighth century BC, but just as it had nothing to do with the addition of a second piece of wood, it also had nothing intrinsically to do with the execution of live people to a post. The fact that it was used to refer to such executions from the fifth or fourth century onward shows that it already no longer meant a simple post. The only reason why a second piece of wood would be added is because the Romans invented their own style of crucifixion by fusing it with patibulum-bearing punishment. And since the Romans began adding the patibulum to their practice of crucifixion from the third century BC onward, and since the word stauros is what the Greeks used to refer to Roman crucifixion, it is clear that stauros was the word that referred to the two-beamed cross used throughout the Roman empire. Thus, as early as the first century BC, the Greeks used to word stauros to refer to patibulum-bearing.

The word anastauroo was never used by the old Greek writers as meaning other than to impale upon or with a single piece of timber.

It's again misleading to refer to "old Greek writers" who lived before Roman crucifixion came into existence. Lucian, for instance, most definitely used this verb to refer to crucifixion involving a horizontal outstretching of hands.

In any case honesty demands that we should no longer translate as "cross" a word which at the time our Gospels were written did not necessarily signify something cross-shaped. And it is equally incumbent upon us, from a moral point of view, that we should cease to render as "crucify" or "crucified" words which never bore any such meaning.

Here two things are being confused. Of course, it's true that stauros did not "necessarily" refer to something cross-shaped. Similarly, the word "car" does not necessarily always refer to an automobile. So does not mean that this word can never refer to automobiles? Of course not. The thinking in this passage is very slippery. These words most definitely did bear such meaning, and often did, but this is not considered.

The problem seems to be that the author is so inordinately focused on the word's meaning as referring to a "shape". Perhaps this is because we use the English word "cross" to refer to a "shape". But this is not how it worked in Greek or Latin. The word stauros originally referred to wooden poles, posts, stakes, etc. that stood upright. The fact that the word had this original meaning does not prevent the word from subsequently referring to poles or posts that had other pieces of wood attached. The word referred to a technology, an execution apparatus, that even originally had variety in shape. The addition of a patibulum did not radically change the meaning of the word; it was not the word that really changed but the form of the instrument, just as the Roman cross often also added a sedile (a seat on which the victim rests his weight), the titilus (a board on which the charge was written), and a footrest. It didn't matter what was added to instrument.... it still was a crux or stauros. Just like the word "car" can refer to vehicles in a great variety of shapes. If a person adds a sunroof to his automobile, does that mean it is no longer a car? Or that the word "car" primarily referred to vehicles with motors and wheels, and thus the meaning of the word "car" somehow radically changes if we add a muffler, or sunroof, or stereo speakers in the vehicle? So when we ask whether the word stauros or crux most often referred to two-beamed crosses or not, the question is not answered by anything intrinsic in the word itself but simply how common the two-beamed cross was in the Roman world. If Romans rarely used the patibulum to crucify victims, then the word stauros would not usually refer to a two-beamed cross. But if the Romans most often used the patibulum, then naturally the kind of cross the word stauros would most commonly refer to would be two-beamed. It's a historical question, and the historical evidence is quite clear that the Romans frequently had the victim bear the patibulum prior to crucifixion and added the patibulum to the standing post. Similarly if most cars had four doors, then one would say that the word "car" mostly refers to four-doored vehicles. But if most cars had two doors, then the word "car" would mostly refer to two-doored vehicles. The number of doors to the car is not part of the intrinsic meaning of the word "car"....you wouldn't think of it when trying to define the word's meaning. The meaning is defined the function and operation of the vehicle, not by the number of doors it has. Similarly, the words crux and stauros referred to the instrument used in the execution of live people through nailing or tying of the hands, regardless of what shape it would have had.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit