Films/movies that resonate with Apostates

by Black Man 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

THX 1138

Logans run

Valis, youre a man after my own heart.

Ever read "the city and the stars" by Arthur C. Clarke?

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

DOGMA

LIFE OF BRIAN

SAVED

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Okay I have been waiting but no one has put this one yet.

Equilibrium – If you haven’t seen it you should.

• el jarocho mayor
    el jarocho mayor

The Island. Talk about control freaks

• kazar
    kazar

2.Barton Fink

3.In the Mouth of Madness

All of them have the surreal quality that I experienced in the JW's.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

definitely the Village. I saw that movie three times in the theater and was floored each time at all the parallels.

1984 - only saw the movie once when I was like eleven, but the book is like a glimpse in to the governing body's secret operations manual.

Fight Club - I've always loved this movie, but it really resonated while on was on the road out the door.
    "This was freedom. Losing all hope was freedom"
    "It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything."
    "When you have insomnia, you're never really asleep, and you're never really awake."

• Swan
    Swan

Pleasantville

Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones (TV Miniseries)

Memento (it's backward style of getting at the real truth through bits and pieces and then putting it all together reminds me of the process I went through)

Savage Messiah

Tammy (she was so naive)

Tammy <== not nearly as naive as I used to be

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

We saw the Village earlier this year, I was expecting a scary horror type movie and was really surprised how it turned out. I didnt quite figure it out to be a "cult" based movie until about 3/4 the way through it. What did you all think of that part at the end when they pull a picture out of a box and it showed a whole group of people standing outside a building dressed up? That sure looked like a kingdom hall to me, even the people in the pic had a "JW" look to them. That really freaked me out. I knew something was up in the beginning but couldnt put my finger on it. I mean this was supposed to take place back in the 1800's and no one even had a gun to protect themselves? The only thing "non JW" about the movie was that they allowed women to be the village elders. Thats another thing that struck me odd from the beginning, back in the old days women's opinions were valued and women wouldnt have been allowed to have much of a say. What about them telling everyone about the "those who we are not to speak of" When I first heard them say that I thought "you mean they had apostates back then?"

Im surprised I didnt completely figure it out from the get go, but I was hoping for it to be a "scary" movie. Amanda was so bored with it that she suggested we leave the theater, but luckily we waited it out. Whoever made that movie must have alot of firsthand knowledge of cults.

Dave

• talesin
    talesin

Ah, Tammy finally mentioned it... Pleasantville!

And 1984. Even before the movie was made, I felt that it defined the JW,,, the special language, Big Brother, forced compliance with group-think, etc.

t

• patio34
    patio34

I only recently saw The Handmaid's Tale and agree with Damesfly that it's pertinent. Also, to any Bible-thumping religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit