Films/movies that resonate with Apostates

by Black Man 42 Replies latest jw friends

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

the peewee herman show

taxi driver

what's eating gilbert grape (when gilbert gets caught going to the supersaver!)

purple rain (for some reason)

trainspotting

the godfather

fast times at ridgemont high

a very merry fragle christmas

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I agree with jgnat, the Truman Show remindes me so much of the jws its unreal

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

The Village. Definately.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Nyyaaaah the matrix is my vote.

See how deep the rabbit hole goes..........

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

A Clockwork Orange, because IMO the prison chaplin was the only moral character. How ironic.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

analogies to the religion:
    matrix 1 (don't like the others)
    the island
    13th floor

something to do with it:
    a perfect world

the black/white thinking:
    almost every hollywood trash... LOTR, SW...

• steve2
    steve2

Deliverance - I was especially touched by the scene in which the hilbilly screws the city guy and gets him to squeal like a pig. I hasten to add that it's a metaphor for how I felt in the months leading up to my leaving the JWs: I felt screwed by self-righteous ignoramuses and subsequently did a lot of forced squealing.

I love the revenge scene in the movie: Rapist impaled from behind. Graphic to behold but oh such sweet revenge. (Hey, Dad, if you're reading this, I'm just kidding).

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

the lion king

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

The Color Purple

Celie being so oppressed that she couldn't open her mouth to say a thing when her husband brought home his whore - Celie being deceived her entire adult life about her sister while Albert hid the letters - Sophia's pistol whipping and having to leave her family during Christmas because of her white employer's stupidity - Celie being beaten for learning to read - the shaving scene - the curse on Albert at the dinner table and Sofia's awakening - Shug's reunion with her father (oh, I wish...) - The day Celie looks out into the field and sees the color purple...

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Cant believe no-one put 1984. If you have ever read it or seen the film- do so!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit