Buddha's Sacred Tooth

by hibiscusfire 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Brenda,

Buddha, as Christ, would be aghast at what religion and superstition their followers have built up around their teachings.

Absolutely right! (((((((())))))))

One cannot blame a sprititual teacher for the superstitions that grow up over hundreds of years after his/her demise. As Brenda said, Buddha, and Jesus would be appalled at what is seen as "pure" Buddhism or Christianity today.

Ian

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Brenda:

As far as bathing in the Ganges to wash away sins and hopefully never have to reincarnate again, is no different than being Baptized a Christian and accepting Christ redemption for original sin of mankind.

Water baptism is an act of obedience that follows conversion to portray symbolically the washing away of our sins. Water baptism calls for immersion instead of sprinkling. Many groups that have only sprinkled in times past are now seeing that the Scriptural method is total immersion in water. In fact, the Greek word "baptism" means to immerse, submerse and emerge.

HF

• hibiscusfire
  • hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Brenda:

Buddha, meaning Awakened One, taught much the same things and Jesus did. The tenants of Buddhism are simple and powerful. As were Jesus's teachings

This is not true at all!!!!!

Generally Buddhism does not believe in a personal God or a divine being, it does not have worship, praying to, or praising of a divine being (although some sects do.) It offers no form of redemption, forgiveness, no heavenly hope, or a final judgment to those practicing its system.

Buddhism is a moral philosophy, an ethical way to live for the here and now of this world to gain the ultimate state. It has more in common with humanism and atheism than its original religion Hinduism it separated from.

But Buddhism is not atheism just because they don’t believe in a personal God. It is more like pantheism, there is a impersonal force the void which is the ultimate.

Hibiscusfire

• upside/down
    upside/down
    We should follow the teachings of Jesus because He is God.

We could go round and round for hours...

But since leaving a "christian" cult...I refuse too...

So your "God" is another one of those "comply or I'll kill you" kinda guys?

No thanks...

I know "God" as well as anyone...and He doesn't seem up to talking much these days.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh"- Voltaire

u/d(of the amateur stand-up class)

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

u/d:

So your "God" is another one of those "comply or I'll kill you" kinda guys?

My God is the one who created you, not Buddha.

HF

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

There are many noble and humanitarian teachings found in Buddhism that elicit compassion and understanding for their fellow man. But these cannot be seen as a means to the end itself.

The concern many have is that some Christians seem to think there is little difference in Buddhism to Christianity. There is a harmonizing of its practices incorporating its teachings into the Church. Some even have them speak inside their churches.

Hibie

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Comparing Buddha with Jesus ...........

It is said Siddhartha became the Awakened one, so Jesus became the Anointed one is a common misconception. Christ was the anointed one from eternity while the Siddhartha became the Buddha by searching and self discovery became illuminated. Anointing and enlightenment are two very different concepts .

hibie

• upside/down
    upside/down
    My God is the one who created you,

Then you don't worship the "God" of "christendom"...

And I can say I'm flattered and say "than-you" as that would be the same "God" I too would worship...if He'd stop "shunning" me.

"God" needs to grow up and start acting like a rational being...and drop the lunatic followers bit.

u/d (of the "God" is stuck up class)

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Christ was the anointed one from eternity while the Siddhartha became the Buddha by searching and self discovery became illuminated

Christ did not become The Christ (The Messiah - translation of the same word) until he was baptized by his cousin John. He is not eternal, but was God's first creation, and by Him all else was created. God the Father, God the Son (to be a son, you must have been fathered) and thru the two the workings of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus was taught judaism. He went on his own spiritual quest and was raised and taught by the Essenes, a spiritual sect of Judaism that his mother, Mary, and stepfather Joseph belonged to according to their ancient writings. It was through the Essenes that he discovered and developed who is was as Jesus, The Christ, on earth.

A bathing in the Ganges to remove sin and prevent rebirt but instead to pass on to the next level in heaven, and a dipping in a swimming pool or river to remove sin and open the way for one to go to heaven are far more similar than different.

Hib, when you remove the rafter from your own eye, you may, in time see the similarities in the beauty underscoring the two "religious" and "phylosophical" practices, than the differences. The differences to me are no greater than the genetic difference between a Human and a Chimpanzee - far less than 1%

I wish you peace in your journey

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit